New 2019 Tri Glide!

Marcus

20+ Posts
Reaction score
Why? I don’t know. It just seemed to be the thing to do, but I am glad I did.

I went from a 2016 to 2019. Bought it at Bakersfield Harley Davidson. Good people to deal with. I live about an hour and forty-five minutes away on truck infested Highway 99 down the California Central Valley. I wanted to buy it locally but couldn’t find one in the area.

Unfortunately, after buying it, I was called out of town on business. I got back a couple of days ago and have been able to put only about 25 miles on it.

Initial impressions:

1) More grunt, pull and power. I’ll know more after completing the break-in process.

2) The rear shocks appear to be somewhat better than the 2016 shocks, but not much. I need more time to search for the “sweet spot” setting.

3) It is a pain in the posterior orifice to change the rear shock setting. The seat has to be removed to get to the adjustment knob. It is not difficult, but it’s a PIA to remove the seat every time.

4) While adjusting the shocks, the knob feels like it is turning a cable. Based on what I’ve seen so far, the lines from the adjustment unit to the shocks unit appear to be hydraulic. The lines also appear to be connected to the shocks via banjo bolts.

5) Front suspension seems stiff.

6) The Boom Box GTS is fantastic. Much easier to see and use.

7) The brakes appear to have more stopping power than the 2016 brakes. I like the linked brakes. You still have to use both the front and rear brakes’ but the linking appears to give it better and smoother stopping power.

8) The traction control button is in a weird place and seems like a waste of space on the handlebars. I keep hitting it while trying to get into reverse.

9) I don’t like the new reverse on the started button, but it works!

I haven’t decide if I’m going to give the new trike a nickname, but if I do, “Big Dawg” or Trike-a-Saurus” are at the top of the list.

The trike goes in next week for a new $eat, $tage 1 kit and wheel$ & rim$.

HD3G 2019 Medium.jpg

New 2019 Tri Glide! – Addendum

The heat coming up off the exhaust while stopped (stop lights & sign, parking idling, etc.) appears to be about the same as the 2016. No difference. I am going to look into the new Coolflow Fan to see if it will help.

HD3G 2019 No 2 Medium.jpg

Beautiful, congrats! Don't know about the Cool Flow fan, but Love Jugs work great keeping the heat down. If you don't have an oil cooler, definitely a must imo. DK Customs has a Jagg aftermarket oil cooler designed for tri glide.

Very nice and CONGRATS!

Please keep us updated on your new ride.........I’m still debating on an update

and looking for reviews/comments on the ‘19s.

:clapping:

Thanks for the review, I'm thinking on a 2019 or get one of the 2018's they have, don't really have any 2019's in did see one, depends on the deal I can get, they have at least 5 2018's in stock.

Get the love jugs, better cooling and haven't heard anything about the coolfan from harley but looking at it I don't see how it would work that good, just me I guess but the love jugs have very good reviews.

All for now Trampas

The heat coming up off the exhaust while stopped (stop lights & sign, parking idling, etc.) appears to be about the same as the 2016. No difference. I am going to look into the new Coolflow Fan to see if it will help.

View attachment 61833

Very nice! I have a 17 Freewheeler & the Cool Flow fan will help with the heat on the right side by the floorboard, mainly coming from the cat. I leave my fan on all the time. I did notice when you get past break-in, the heat issue seems to get a little better. I'm up tp 6,500 miles & the fan helped, getting DK Customs 1.5" deluxe tank lift helped & changing to Lucas 20w50 full synthetic motorcycle oil helped the operating temps also, along with improving the shifting.

Keep in mind, that Cool Flow fan is not for the engine, it's for your comfort.

New 2019 Tri Glide! – Addendum #2 / 34 Miles on the Clock

1) Definitely have to back off the rear shocks preload. I have it set based on my weight as recommended in the manual. Too stiff as recommended. This means I have to take the @#$% seat off again. I will also probably bleed off a couple pounds of air pressure from the tires.

2) The clutch pull is stiffer than on the 2016. It takes more grip strength to pull it in and keep it in, such as when sitting at a stoplight. This is probably due to stiffer clutch springs to handle power from the bigger engine. (I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night, so I am fully qualified to make such assessments.)

3) The engine starts more easily and smoothly than the 2016. No more lagging or pausing while turning over to start.

4) IT GOES INTO NEUTRAL MUCH, MUCH EASIER THAN THE 2016. It goes right in! I haven’t missed it once!

5) There is almost no backlash in the drivetrain at low speed, such as in parking lots and through residential areas.

6) Nitpick: The batter tender plug is below the left side cover and under the left passenger floorboard. It is a little more difficult to get to (I have to bend over further to get to it) and, if one is not careful, it will hang down on the left exhaust pipe. I am going to look into rerouting it to a more convenient location.

7) The gear set seems to be shorter on the 2019. The engine appears to run at lower RPMs than the 2016 at the same speeds. Either that or my helmet is too tight.

The battery tender lead is inconveniently located low on the left side

.HD3G 2019 Battery Tender Medium.jpg

Traction Control switch on the left grip.

HD3G 2019 Left Controls Medium.jpg

Nice Trike

The M8 engines run @ a lower RPM than the 16 Twin Cams

Your engine has knock sensors also to keep the ignition in check better than Twin Cam engines

I left mine on the left side just like yours, but I used a zip tie and secured it better to the frame so it didn't have a chance of getting on the exhaust, worked for me.

All for now Trampas

Congrats on the new Trike. Appreciate the ride review and your comments....seriously considering a retrofit of the new suspension system on my TG. Happy to hear it's a big improvement. ThumbUp

Why? I don’t know. It just seemed to be the thing to do, but I am glad I did.

I went from a 2016 to 2019. Bought it at Bakersfield Harley Davidson. Good people to deal with. I live about an hour and forty-five minutes away on truck infested Highway 99 down the California Central Valley. I wanted to buy it locally but couldn’t find one in the area.

Unfortunately, after buying it, I was called out of town on business. I got back a couple of days ago and have been able to put only about 25 miles on it.

Initial impressions:

1) More grunt, pull and power. I’ll know more after completing the break-in process.

2) The rear shocks appear to be somewhat better than the 2016 shocks, but not much. I need more time to search for the “sweet spot” setting.

3) It is a pain in the posterior orifice to change the rear shock setting. The seat has to be removed to get to the adjustment knob. It is not difficult, but it’s a PIA to remove the seat every time.

4) While adjusting the shocks, the knob feels like it is turning a cable. Based on what I’ve seen so far, the lines from the adjustment unit to the shocks unit appear to be hydraulic. The lines also appear to be connected to the shocks via banjo bolts.

5) Front suspension seems stiff.

6) The Boom Box GTS is fantastic. Much easier to see and use.

7) The brakes appear to have more stopping power than the 2016 brakes. I like the linked brakes. You still have to use both the front and rear brakes’ but the linking appears to give it better and smoother stopping power.

8) The traction control button is in a weird place and seems like a waste of space on the handlebars. I keep hitting it while trying to get into reverse.

9) I don’t like the new reverse on the started button, but it works!

I haven’t decide if I’m going to give the new trike a nickname, but if I do, “Big Dawg” or Trike-a-Saurus” are at the top of the list.

The trike goes in next week for a new $eat, $tage 1 kit and wheel$ & rim$.

View attachment 61831

bought the same color four days ago. 200 miles so still in the break-in and so far very happy. Traded in a 2014 Triglide.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png