Victory trikes and the Victory Motorcycle Club (VMC)

Iowavicrider

250+ Posts
Aug 20, 2017
Scranton,Iowa,USA
I have maintained my VMC membership since 2001 (member 368), and have ridden my CCT trike for two years now. I was just wondering if there are any other TT members that have made a similar transition from 2-wheels to 3-wheels with Victory? Would be great to get together and share stories!

I had the Gunner....Which when i wanted to Trike it i found it couldn't be done, The Gunner is on an Iron frame ..So the only time i think about Victory is when i'm at my Polaris dealer and walk by his discount table that has Victory stuff on sale..:Shrug:

IMO Victory folded for two reasons...They tried to compete against Harley with a Metric bike.. Even Harley tried it with the V-Rod and failed.. And then The biggie, Their association with designer Arlen [George Jetson] Ness...:xzqxz:

A Polaris Indian exec friend of mine says that Victory was actually doing well and the closure was not due to slow sales, it was due to the cost of running two competing sister brands, Indian and Victory.

Each of the Polaris owned brands had their own completely different line of products so they were essentially cannibalizing the sale of Victory products with the Indian brand. They reasoned that Indian would be the stronger brand in the long term, so the descision was made to shutter the Victory brand.

A Polaris Indian exec friend of mine says that Victory was actually doing well and the closure was not due to slow sales, it was due to the cost of running two competing sister brands, Indian and Victory.

Each of the Polaris owned brands had their own completely different line of products so they were essentially cannibalizing the sale of Victory products with the Indian brand. They reasoned that Indian would be the stronger brand in the long term, so the descision was made to shutter the Victory brand.

I live about 80 miles from the Spirit Lake plants that made the Victory and the Indian plant that currently produces the Indian, and I agree with Zook’s assessment. My experience with Victory started in 2000. I ordered a custom Sport Cruiser from a dealership in Spirit Lake. They allowed me to walk the bike through its production. What an experience. Akin to watching your child being born!

I traded my 2005 Harley CVO Electra Glide in on a new 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour. The CCT was an excellent bike and I loved riding it. IMO it had several design improvements over the Harley. When my wife decided she didn't want to ride on 2 wheels anymore I started thinking about a trike again. At one time we had a GL1800 Trike but went back to 2 wheels for awhile. I almost triked the Victory but instead traded it in on a 2015 Harley FW trike because I didn't want a conversion due to my bad experience with the Gold Wing trike when it broke down and I was trying to get it repaired while on a trip.

When Polaris dumped Victory I was really glad I didn't trike it. I tend to keep my bikes a long time and I am sure it would become a problem getting parts and service on the Victory eventually. It was an excellent bike and I was really surprised when Polaris dumped it. The Indian is a nice bike. My neighbor has two of them and he really likes them but I don't think I would by one after Victory got dumped. I would always be wondering if I was going to wake up one morning and find out that Polaris dumped Indian for some reason. Just my opinion.

Sunman

That is exactly what a dealer friend of mine told me who now sells Indians. His grandfather was the local Indian dealer and is happy to have the Indian brand back under their roof.

Interesting reasoning I had not considered, but it makes sense. Always considered the Victory/Polaris lineup a a good motorcycle at the right price, too bad it had to be sacrificed.

I still say if Indian teamed up with a trike conversation Co. they would succeeded. As using IRS as there advantage point. As big as Honda is , and seeing all the conventions done to there crusisers, don’t know what they are waiting for :Shrug: Unless I don’t understand big businesses!

While at the CSC factory, the owner told me that his biggest problem was to get a moco to sell him a non completed bike to convert. Obously becoming a cost factor. With out a team up like HD did with Learman, it probably won’t happen. I’m sure the liability issue could be overcome.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gdow5150

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gdow5150
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png