Roadsmith choice over Hannigan

Konrad

Nov 25, 2010
La Grange, KY
After a lot of research and soulsearch I narrowed my choice down to the Hannigan and the Roadsmith. I corresponded with Hannigan about the auxiliary gas tank problem mentioned elsewhere and was assured that it happened only infrequently. And Hannigan, as I understand it, has no installation or maintenance manual.

I corresponded with Roadsmith which promptly answered all my questions in a straight-forward and factual manner. And Roadsmith provides a built-in trailer hitch and a parking brake, eliminating the velcro on the right grip or locking the bike in reverse and possible associated problems. Also Canada requires parking brakes, I believe, and I do plan on traveling there.

Ths choice was difficult - the Hannigan has such beautiful lines . . .:blush:

So - today I ordered the Roadsmith conversion for my 2006 GL1800. The bad :( part is that it will take about a month to get to La Grange, KY and another week to install at Morton's Trikes in Louisville. The good :rolleyes: part is that it will all happen during a time of year in the Ohio Valley when no sane man will ride a bike!

I welcome any comments particularly regarding extra lighting on the rear and the lighted mud flaps and any other trike accessories.

Konrad not sure I have spoken to you before.Anyhow welcome to THE trike forum.I ride a Motor Trike conversion and do not have extra lighting or mud flaps,However I think that after about 500 miles on your trike you will be very glad you decided to do it. RIDE SAFE

Both are great trikes. I do like the Roadsmith. I never priced them so I do not know the $ difference. Hannigian is very wide and I don't know it I would like allowing for that extra room. I have come close with MY fenders enough times. YES the wait is easier when the ridding is not good. We have winter from now DEC 18th to about April 5th . miss riding around JAN 4th and get itchy to ride around March 1oth. You are gona love triking and as we say you will say " why did I wait soo long . "

Hello, I had narrowed my choices to the roadsmith and hannigan too, both very nice conversions and good companys, I chose the hannigan I love the look and the installer is only a few miles from my house, so if i have warranty issues or if i need it tweeked etc I am only a few min away.
Good luck with the new trike! I just got mine done and its sitting in the showroom for the winter,

Clear skies, Steve W.

Konrad not sure I have spoken to you before.Anyhow welcome to THE trike forum.I ride a Motor Trike conversion and do not have extra lighting or mud flaps,However I think that after about 500 miles on your trike you will be very glad you decided to do it. RIDE SAFE
I have not heard of anyone who was not glad they did it. Such overwhelmingly positive comments give me a certain sense of security.

Konrad - I own a Roadsmith and love it. Just like you, I also considered Hannigan, but decided on Roadsmith after visiting The Trike Shop of Daytona few times and talking to my installer, whose knowledge and patience impressed me the most. These guys are spectacular in every way. Amazing customer service before, during and after the sale.

I'm sure you'd be very happy with your choice and hope you have many smiles ThumbUp.

Welcome Konrad!!! Where is La Grange?? Anywhere near Ashland? I'm about 60 miles or so North of Ashland on the West Virginia side.

Thanks for the welsome! La Grange is at exit 22 of I-71 northbound 26 miles from Louisville. Has a very active train running right down the middle of historic Main Street, sharing space with cars, trucks, and pedestrians. Been through Ashland a couple of times.

What do you me no sane person that lives in the ohio valley area would ride in the winter time.
I live 25 miles east of Indianapolis,and as long as the roads are not slick I get out and ride.
You never heard of Gebing heated clothing.
the cool crisp air makes you feel good.
Contray to what some people say I consider myself sane I think.
:wave4::wave4::wave4::wave4:

Jim: You must be sane ,Because I never see you at our * I P A *meetings <LOL>* Insane People Anonymous:Trike1:

I have a Roadsmith kit out in my garage. If I touch that crate even one day before Christmas I'll be severely beatin about and between the ears. I'm between a rock and a hard place till Christmas. So I sit here going :Computer:

I have a Roadsmith kit out in my garage. If I touch that crate even one day before Christmas I'll be severely beatin about and between the ears. I'm between a rock and a hard place till Christmas. So I sit here going :Computer:

I share your pain! And I have at least a month longer to wait than you. The good part is that I have something to look forward to in the dead of winter. Wish I had your skills - I'd love to put it on myself.

Best wishes for a successful install!

I share your pain! And I have at least a month longer to wait than you. The good part is that I have something to look forward to in the dead of winter. Wish I had your skills - I'd love to put it on myself.

Best wishes for a successful install!

I ordered through Tony's Trikes and he got my kit to me in 8 days and at a great price. I'll be doing a photo shoot of the build and post a link when I get her done.

What do you me no sane person that lives in the ohio valley area would ride in the winter time.
I live 25 miles east of Indianapolis,and as long as the roads are not slick I get out and ride.
You never heard of Gebing heated clothing.
the cool crisp air makes you feel good.
Contray to what some people say I consider myself sane I think.
:wave4::wave4::wave4::wave4:

Oh, come now! Indianapolis is hardly the Ohio Valley - you're closer to Lake Michigan from which you get the REALLY cold blasts - and you guys are used to it. Way down here, on the south side of the river we're Southern and don't particularly like cold weather with all the ice.

Seriously, I do generally find a few days each month during the winter when I can and do ride. No heated clothing, just long johns, warm jacket, heated seat and grips and I'm good down to 40 degrees. Below that - forget it! :p

Some people are members of the Polar Bear club but my age, comfort and sense of self-preservation forbid that. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png