Back Seat Luggage for Spyder

paws

Just Killing Time...
Oct 22, 2011
Kerrville, TX U.S.A
For those of you who ride a Spyder, one-up, long distance.... did you strap on a backseat luggage? If so, which one? Would it accomodate a full-face helmet?

I am looking at the Kuryakyn and Saddleman bags that would accomodate the helmet.

Thanks..

Watching.........I have a HD waterproof bag (from my HD days) that I can put on the back, but then I have to throw my leg over that (I'm old and fat, so throwing my leg across the seat doesn't work). So if that happens, I get the wife to strap it on HER Spyder or get her to put her trailer (the best option, then we can take MORE gear!!).

Hey OJ...

I am looking at a local 2014 RT Limited SE6 = 2300 miles - cognac.

Trying to figure out how I could pack stuff on it for distance rides - BEFORE I pull the trigger. Rides great, cosmetically excellent.

It’s just that I like to have immediate access to “stuff” as on the trunks on my Gold Wing trike, plus on distance rides, now that I’m, uh, more mature.... I need to pack more stuff than in days of yore.... a real dilemma. I have to decide by 9:00 tomorrow morning - when the dealer opens unless it got sold online after Saturday 6pm.

Hey OJ...

I am looking at a local 2014 RT Limited SE6 = 2300 miles - cognac.

Trying to figure out how I could pack stuff on it for distance rides - BEFORE I pull the trigger. Rides great, cosmetically excellent.

It’s just that I like to have immediate access to “stuff” as on the trunks on my Gold Wing trike, plus on distance rides, now that I’m, uh, more mature.... I need to pack more stuff than in days of yore.... a real dilemma. I have to decide by 9:00 tomorrow morning - when the dealer opens unless it got sold online after Saturday 6pm.

My wife had a 2014 RT-Ltd and she loved it. She could load it up and carry enough for a week (or longer with the right packing) run, but no place to "hide" or protect a helmet, so we always took them in with us. The RT has a lot of space with the "Frunk", bags and top box, all of which are bigger than my F3-Ltd (I used the backseat bag for my CPAP and extra cover gear). We didn't get a trailer until she bought a used 2016 F3-T with matching trailer. But I dearly love my F3 and I pack however I need to make it work and we put on a lot (thousands) of miles before we got the trailer.

That's super low mileage on the 2014, so it sounds like a great deal. Keep us informed......

Helmets can be locked to the seat.Raise the seat and you will see a little tab sticking out. Get a light rubber covered bicycle locking chain and you can lock it to the bike.Worried about rain,get a waterproof stuff bag. There is a tab on each side. Works like a champ.

Helmets can be locked to the seat.Raise the seat and you will see a little tab sticking out. Get a light rubber covered bicycle locking chain and you can lock it to the bike.Worried about rain,get a waterproof stuff bag. There is a tab on each side. Works like a champ.

If I'm not mistaking, that tab is plastic, but should be fine for a helmet. If someone wants something bad enough they'll do whatever it takes to get the item. We've never used that tab but it will work for light security use.

My wife had a 2014 RT-Ltd and she loved it. She could load it up and carry enough for a week (or longer with the right packing) run, but no place to "hide" or protect a helmet, so we always took them in with us. The RT has a lot of space with the "Frunk", bags and top box, all of which are bigger than my F3-Ltd (I used the backseat bag for my CPAP and extra cover gear). We didn't get a trailer until she bought a used 2016 F3-T with matching trailer. But I dearly love my F3 and I pack however I need to make it work and we put on a lot (thousands) of miles before we got the trailer.

That's super low mileage on the 2014, so it sounds like a great deal. Keep us informed......

So Juice, how are things in Hot Springs? As I've posted before on about the Spyder vs my GW Road Smith, it's the packing space problem that keeps me from looking really hard at the RTL, plus don't want to take on another payment. I love the suspension on the Spyder and that's the draw for me. The older I get, the smoother ride I want. I have the slide rack for the receiver hitch, works really well on the GW, just pack up the water proof bag and strap it down on the rack for that little extra room that the wife always needs. Trailer, just not doing it.

If I'm not mistaking, that tab is plastic, but should be fine for a helmet. If someone wants something bad enough they'll do whatever it takes to get the item. We've never used that tab but it will work for light security use.

You are right they are plastic and locks only help honest people stay that way.It is a convenient way to store your helmet and the bicycle chain helps prevent mischievous behavior.

So Juice, how are things in Hot Springs? As I've posted before on about the Spyder vs my GW Road Smith, it's the packing space problem that keeps me from looking really hard at the RTL, plus don't want to take on another payment. I love the suspension on the Spyder and that's the draw for me. The older I get, the smoother ride I want. I have the slide rack for the receiver hitch, works really well on the GW, just pack up the water proof bag and strap it down on the rack for that little extra room that the wife always needs. Trailer, just not doing it.

I had a Gold Wing trike and I think I have more packing space on my RTL then there is on a Gold Wing trike. I was able to get a weeks worth of stuff including tent (8 person), sleeping bag and,stove,cooking stuff,Cpap and cord on the Spyder.

Juice, now that's interesting, that's was on your RTL, two up? Of course I'm talking my Road Smith trike here, not two wheels.

First off, to Carla, Hot Springs Village is great! It's the largest gated community in North America (26.000 acres), has 11 lakes and 9 golf courses.....of course Jan and I don't use any of those things, we just ride our bikes all over Arkansas! The roads here are great! And the local GWRRA chapter talked Jan and I (with our 2 Spyders?) to join their group, we did, love the guys and gals and they ride every week! Right down our alley (and they know the roads)!

Next.....Jan had a 2014 RT-L and I had the '06 Stratoliner trike, she put her stuff in her bike and I put mine in my bike, no 2up and no trailer. After I got my Spyder F3-L the bags and boxes are smaller space than what I had with my CSC conversion kit, but still did ok for a week out on the road. Then Jan got the 2016 F3-T so she had less room also (bags are smaller than the RT bags), but we still could pack for a week on those bikes with 1up on each bike. But we like to stretch things out a little so Jan got a trailer to pull behind her's and now we put everything in the trailer and just keep our usual stuff in our bikes (gloves, rain gear, bike cover, light jacket and helmet). These bikes have plenty of power and pulling a trailer is no problem at all (the newer ones even come wired for trailer hook up).

Paws .. just had a thought ... I know it's rare.

I know your concern is the depth of the spyder's trunk, so how about getting a couple mesh laundry bags and filling them and using a lanyard to be able to pull them out. You could load stuff you don't use often in the lower one, then the next least used ... etc.

Paws .. just had a thought ... I know it's rare.

I know your concern is the depth of the spyder's trunk, so how about getting a couple mesh laundry bags and filling them and using a lanyard to be able to pull them out. You could load stuff you don't use often in the lower one, then the next least used ... etc.

Thanks Fuzz...i’ll keep this in mind. May just Fedex my bag ahead! LOL!

First off, to Carla, Hot Springs Village is great! It's the largest gated community in North America (26.000 acres), has 11 lakes and 9 golf courses.....of course Jan and I don't use any of those things, we just ride our bikes all over Arkansas! The roads here are great! And the local GWRRA chapter talked Jan and I (with our 2 Spyders?) to join their group, we did, love the guys and gals and they ride every week! Right down our alley (and they know the roads)!

Next.....Jan had a 2014 RT-L and I had the '06 Stratoliner trike, she put her stuff in her bike and I put mine in my bike, no 2up and no trailer. After I got my Spyder F3-L the bags and boxes are smaller space than what I had with my CSC conversion kit, but still did ok for a week out on the road. Then Jan got the 2016 F3-T so she had less room also (bags are smaller than the RT bags), but we still could pack for a week on those bikes with 1up on each bike. But we like to stretch things out a little so Jan got a trailer to pull behind her's and now we put everything in the trailer and just keep our usual stuff in our bikes (gloves, rain gear, bike cover, light jacket and helmet). These bikes have plenty of power and pulling a trailer is no problem at all (the newer ones even come wired for trailer hook up).

I thank you for your response, I'm aware that Spyder has their fancy trailer, just don't like pulling trailers, sand then there's the hitch install, so my attitude just does't work for the trailer. Not being critical of others that do, that's just me, cause I know it's very convenient for 'the stuff'.

Wow, wasn't aware that Hot Spring Village was so large, but without my GPS don't know that I could have found my way out of that place....... getting in, well that just doesn't happen unless you know somebody in there or, are meeting a real estate agent. Funny, I live in a golfing community and never played a game in my life, so I can relate to your life style.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png