So You Want To Ride 3 Wheels

David357

30500+ Posts
May 31, 2015
Hobe Sound, FL.

Trikes 101-Basic Rules

You will hear many riding instructors say, "It's easier to teach people who have never ridden motorcycles, to ride a trike, than to teach people who have ridden 30 or 40 years." This goes against everything we ever learned. Experience, we've been told, is always the best teacher. But not with riding a trike; here the experienced must be untrained from two-wheel thinking, to three-wheel riding.

First Rule

Never, ever, put your feet down. There are three wheels, so you won't tip over. But most certainly you can "mouse trap" your feet under the body or rear wheels - not an enjoyable experience.

Second Rule

All units have may have a hand brake, just like the one in your car, and you must release it before moving out. Without a kickstand, there's nothing but the hand brake to keep the trike from rolling into Grandma's Corvette.

Third Rule

The wheelbase of a trike is generally the same as that of the two-wheeler and may be a little longer depending on the manufacturer, but because of its bodywork, it's slightly longer and a whole lot wider. To determine just how wide, once seated, stretch out your arms -- that's the width you must allow for when cornering.

Fourth Rule

A trike involves "direct steering." Point into the direction of travel, lock your outside elbow into the turn, and then roll on the throttle through the turn - this differs from a two-wheeler where you counter steer and lean through a corner. Using the Point, Lock, and Roll system, it's easier to go into, and out of, every type of corner quicker than when riding any comparable two-wheeler. And what's more, with increased confidence from not having to brake or steer around light road debris, such as sand and gravel.

Fifth Rule

Look into and ahead of your direction of travel. Good advice, whether on two, three, or four wheels.

Sixth Rule

Use both front and rear brakes. On a two-wheeler, your rear brakes are 30 percent of your stopping power. On a trike, though, two rear wheels mean twice the stopping power, so you don't want to override your front wheel. Even in panic stops, the trike stops quickly and keeps straight. Proper braking is very important.

Seventh Rule

Practice, Practice, Practice and more Practice.

Even if you think you are a very skilled experienced rider, a little practice in an empty parking lot performing hard controlled stops and full lock slow speed turns can make the difference. Get to know how your trike performs and get comfortable with its operation.

Each of these rules are good topics of discussion in future threads.

Enjoy.ThumbUp

Last edited:
Nice write up. excellent info. Just 1 trivial point, your statement: "The wheelbase of a trike is the same as that of the two-wheeler" is just a little off !

There are some conversions, Hannigan is one, that the wheelbase is actually longer than the original 2 wheel version. This actually makes for a much smoother ride, especially for the passenger!

Also. adding to your comment on the width: Watch how close you get to the gas pump islands!!!!!!!!!

Nice write up. excellent info. Just 1 trivial point, your statement: "The wheelbase of a trike is the same as that of the two-wheeler" is just a little off !

There are some conversions, Hannigan is one, that the wheelbase is actually longer than the original 2 wheel version. This actually makes for a much smoother ride, especially for the passenger!

Also. adding to your comment on the width: Watch how close you get to the gas pump islands!!!!!!!!!

Good catch and excellent points.ThumbUp

I have updated the original posting to reflect your wheelbase point.

I have a CSC Viper kit on my Goldwing and it is definitely longer.ThumbUp

Getting Kinda Spooked Here

I'm new to Trikes after 50+ years of 2-wheelin, just picked up our new Tri-Glide a week ago and you guys are starting to scare me with all these differences in riding trikes over 2-wheelers.

I'm new to Trikes after 50+ years of 2-wheelin, just picked up our new Tri-Glide a week ago and you guys are starting to scare me with all these differences in riding trikes over 2-wheelers.

Dont be scared, use a lot of common sense

If you are a bit shaky practice in a parking lot

You are going to use upper body strength to move down the road thru the turns

Exercise will help

Your good riding 2 wheel skills will be a plus IMO

Find a quiet road or big empty parking lot (on Sunday maybe), climb on, relax, and go at your own pace til you get used to her! Nothing to be scared of - you can’t fall over and you know where the hand and foot brakes are if you think you need them.

Bob, I assume you rode the trike home from the dealer without any difficulty.

I also assume you probably took the trike for a test ride before purchase.

If so, how did it feel riding the trike compared to a 2 wheeler?

Find a quiet road or big empty parking lot (on Sunday maybe), climb on, relax, and go at your own pace til you get used to her! Nothing to be scared of - you can’t fall over and you know where the hand and foot brakes are if you think you need them.

I have just reached the 5K miles on my new trike. I love it. I have been riding 2 wheels for a very long time. It different with 3 wheels. Important for you to take it slow at first to get the feel.

I ride in a group very often. I can keep up with the 2 wheels easily now. Important source of info is your fellow riders. They can give you pointers, experience is key. The more you ride the more comfortable you get.

Having your shocks and preload set is very important for a comfortable ride. Too stiff and you will bounce all over the place with poor control. Too soft and you will feel like your going to tip over.

I have never felt like it wants to lift one wheel off the ground. Others say they have and they would have to been going way too fast. The steering is very different than 2 wheels. If you go too fast around the corner you will know it way before it wants to tip. Very scary! Using a little body english helps. Lean into the corner which puts more on the wheel that would want to lift.

Slow down before the curve staying wide then going to the inside which will give you more room coming out of the curve. The bike has a real positive grip on the road and doesn't slide easily. You can handle most curves faster than the speed limit. But when the curve says 15 miles an hour it means 15 miles a hour. The slow tight curves are the most difficult. Like the man said ride your own ride, take your time, get a good feel for it.

When your are relaxed when you ride! Your confident and it feels good!! You got it! And it doesn't get better than that! Enjoy and be safe always! It helps if you ride behind another person on s 3 wheeler until you get used to it.

Bob, I assume you rode the trike home from the dealer without any difficulty.

I also assume you probably took the trike for a test ride before purchase.

If so, how did it feel riding the trike compared to a 2 wheeler?

I was riding a conversion with 3 wheels in the back and one in front. I took a test ride on the tri-glide! That's was all it took. I bought one! Very expensive! But I love it! Put 5K miles in 2 months.... My wife and I ride most weekends with the club. I ride everyday whenever I get the chance.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png