HD Clutch Recall 2018...Over 200,000 Affected!

Jeff, I think it should do fine in the un shrouded look unlike HD hiding behind a faux cover;)

I too miss a cable clutch, at least we could adjust the free play

Reactions: MDO
I think I will be cancelling my appointment on 11/14/18 to get the recall done that morning.

It is forecast to be 23 degrees that morning & that is below my limit.;)

UPDATE: I moved my appt. to get the recall done to this Saturday, 11/10/18 at 10am.

Jeff, I think it should do fine in the un shrouded look unlike HD hiding behind a faux cover;)

I too miss a cable clutch, at least we could adjust the free play

I think you still install the cover, they just left it off to show off their cylinder. I'm getting the recall done , but when I find $280 laying around, I may order 1. The 40% less effort is a great selling point. The OEM HD cylinder is priced at around $60. If I was an engineer/machinist type, I would get 1 & modify it!

I think you still install the cover, they just left it off to show off their cylinder. I'm getting the recall done , but when I find $280 laying around, I may order 1. The 40% less effort is a great selling point. The OEM HD cylinder is priced at around $60. If I was an engineer/machinist type, I would get 1 & modify it!

I like it in black, tho I would probably have the trap door powder coated black also

And leave the faux chrome cover off for a few thousand miles to see if it helps

I believe the cover is trapping heat this cannot be good for the clutch fluid JMO

I like it in black, tho I would probably have the trap door powder coated black also

And leave the faux chrome cover off for a few thousand miles to see if it helps

I believe the cover is trapping heat this cannot be good for the clutch fluid JMO

You might be onto something Jack, with the trapping heat theory. That would look good with the trap door black.

My son said he wants to get my rear wheels powder coated black for Xmas. I have seen a few like that & liked it. I'm still considering a gloss clear coat. I'm not unhappy with the way the wheels look stock, just the fact they are not coated.

I'm not pulling the front 1 till I need a tire.:)

You might be onto something Jack, with the trapping heat theory. That would look good with the trap door black.

My son said he wants to get my rear wheels powder coated black for Xmas. I have seen a few like that & liked it. I'm still considering a gloss clear coat. I'm not unhappy with the way the wheels look stock, just the fact they are not coated.

I'm not pulling the front 1 till I need a tire.:)

The heat of a Harley clutch changes the free travel Big time

I bet keeping more heat out of the system the clutch will behave, less bad JU JU.

The fluid will not be as muddy nor will there be much chance of boil off or as Harley says the bubbles of gasses in the system ( What the hell are they talking about here)? Either you would have boiling off of fluid or not would be my guess. Once this starts the fluid would surely be compromised and eventually be a lower level at which time air could be introduced JMO

Sounds like smoke an mirrors don't it. I think fresh dot 4 boils at 400 degrees doesn't it. Brake systems generate tremendous amounts of heat and their reservoirs never run dry.

The way i read it..[Through my Caveman eyes].....If the fluid leaks out....Then air will/might/can enter the system and with it Water, IE Condensation...Then that will/might boil off leaving no releasing of the clutch plates, Think this scenario ' You are stopping at a red light you pull in the clutch lever and the clutch doesn't have enough hydraulic pressure to release the plates.. That can hurt...:xzqxz:.....

And evidently it did happen........

Played with a bike that had the AIM Light Force slave cylinder. The clutch pull is indeed light, but the major improvement was the clutch started engagement right near the grip instead of at the end of it's travel. Very easy to modulate now.

The way i read it..[Through my Caveman eyes].....If the fluid leaks out....Then air will/might/can enter the system and with it Water, IE Condensation...Then that will/might boil off leaving no releasing of the clutch plates, Think this scenario ' You are stopping at a red light you pull in the clutch lever and the clutch doesn't have enough hydraulic pressure to release the plates.. That can hurt...:xzqxz:.....

And evidently it did happen........

The MOCO has had years to get a handle on this IMO

Someone is going to crash and what will they say then?

Sounds like smoke an mirrors don't it. I think fresh dot 4 boils at 400 degrees doesn't it. Brake systems generate tremendous amounts of heat and their reservoirs never run dry.

Here is info on dot 4 fluid

By FMVSS116 standards, DOT 4 fluids must have a minimum dry boiling point of 446°F and a minimum wet boiling point of 311°F. DOT 4 is the grade applicable to most race engineered brake fluid in the world today, especially with regard to viscosity limit.

Here is info on dot 4 fluid

By FMVSS116 standards, DOT 4 fluids must have a minimum dry boiling point of 446°F and a minimum wet boiling point of 311°F. DOT 4 is the grade applicable to most race engineered brake fluid in the world today, especially with regard to viscosity limit.

I have used Valvoline brake fluid lately, it's rated DOT 3 & 4. I found a DOT 3 at Menard's that has a 451 dry boiling point, but the wet boiling point is only around 290. DOT 3 is listed as not absorbing moisture as quickly as DOT 4.

Once you get your flushing procedure down, it's such a simple process, it's not worth worrying about, i.e. just do it!:D

That in-line check valve makes it foolproof & you can't suck air back in the system.

Picked up my mail about 10 minutes ago.....And the Clutch recall notice was there....

And Like always Harley is right on top of things...:D

Got my notice today

Dealer has not received parts yet

The recall notice says be prepared for repair to take up to 2 hours bhaaaaaa:p

I have used Valvoline brake fluid lately, it's rated DOT 3 & 4. I found a DOT 3 at Menard's that has a 451 dry boiling point, but the wet boiling point is only around 290. DOT 3 is listed as not absorbing moisture as quickly as DOT 4.

Once you get your flushing procedure down, it's such a simple process, it's not worth worrying about, i.e. just do it!:D

That in-line check valve makes it foolproof & you can't suck air back in the system.

s-l1600.jpg
My 15 Freewheeler. I never had any trouble with the clutch on that 1;). This picture was taken @ RJS Originals home in NC. Notice the rear wheel inner chrome covers and the heat deflector below the seat. This trike was the test mule for these parts;)

Got my notice today also. I called the service guy at the dealers last week, he told me 5 or 6 new actuators would be in around the 5th and he would save one for me. Called him again today and sure enough, he had one with my name on it....I'm on for a Monday afternoon appt.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caryntn

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caryntn
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png