HD Clutch Recall 2018...Over 200,000 Affected!

Mea Culpa Maxima..... I thought it was a tranny door seal too.

BUT.... Did you see the design of the seal to clutch pushrod contact surface!?!.... Rubber/teflon/polymer-of-some-sort surface on metal?????

I am glad Harley's don't fly.....

I REALLY miss cables...... Just sayin.....

Mea Culpa Maxima..... I thought it was a tranny door seal too.

BUT.... Did you see the design of the seal to clutch pushrod contact surface!?!.... Rubber/teflon/polymer-of-some-sort surface on metal?????

I am glad Harley's don't fly.....

I REALLY miss cables...... Just sayin.....

Yeah, I would think Brembo would have a better design

What I want to know is what change did they make this time? This is the 3rd running change I believe. The outer dust boot/ gasket looks pretty cheesie to me, tho the quad ring seal on the piston seals the brake fluid internally, Over all i see more problems with more miles Hope i am wrong To note mine has had no problems in over 18K miles. I have bled mine 2 times now and re lubed the perch @ 5K intervals

Didn't know if you had seen the working end of the AIM unit MDO found...but I agree with him... this is looking better and better

View attachment 63911

It seems that the AIM piston has a bigger surface area. I wonder if that, in combination with a different spring, makes the 40% reduced clutch pull possible .

If I have any problems at all with the new OEM parts, I'm dropping the $280 for that unit. It's too important to be messing around.

Side by side, HD one on the right

The AIM looks way better to me;)

aim2.jpg

What do you think would cause their part to reduce clutch pull ?

I would like to see the back side of theirs like John Maxwell showed on the recall repair in the video.

What do you think would cause their part to reduce clutch pull ?

Depth or length of piston, if you look close you will see the difference in the pocket that the push rod sits in

I am wondering what the bore of the cylinder is? I know it has a steel piston ( The HD Brembo looks to be aluminum)

I n my experience with hydraulics , cylinders with aluminum pistons distort faster than steel, ( they will flex or side load easier) my guess is the heat factor Aluminum pistons most often are anodized surfaces to reduce rust, tho I have seen pretty severe scoring from this also. Mostly from abuse when it comes to fluid changes. Like you I cannot stress how important it is to stay up on the fluid

Reactions: MDO
Watching the video, I'm assuming the fluid hydraulic pressure moves the rod to engage the clutch & the spring moves it back???

HD charges $60 for their actuator & AIM $280

I wish I was a machinest, I would R & D the AIM cylinder.

That's ripoff & duplicate.

Watching the video, I'm assuming the fluid hydraulic pressure moves the rod to engage the clutch & the spring moves it back???

HD charges $60 for their actuator & AIM $280

I wish I was a machinest, I would R & D the AIM cylinder.

That's ripoff & duplicate.

The hydraulic pressure moves the piston in and out, the square cut seal seals the piston to the cylinder ( the seal not only seals the cylinder , like brakes it also retracts the piston) Brembo uses the spring to keep constant tension on the piston to push rod IMO

This is a strange design WE have seen this on split wheel cylinders years ago

I'm gonna have to swim against the tide on this one as I prefer the HD slave. The AIM claimed 40% reduction in lever pressure is probly due, at least in part, to the reduced surface drag of the o-rings as opposed to a square cut seal and maybe a lighter spring.

Maybe me being 'old school' but I like the tried 'n true design much better and just don't trust round cut o-rings in this application.

What was the story that went along with this picture? I see a chip on the parting surface.

I was curious what gave the AIM actuator 40% reduced pull, i.e. different spring
rate
& or a bigger piston (more surface area). There is a big difference in price with the HD part at $60 & the AIM at $280:xzqxz:

I'm gonna have to swim against the tide on this one as I prefer the HD slave. The AIM claimed 40% reduction in lever pressure is probly due, at least in part, to the reduced surface drag of the o-rings as opposed to a square cut seal and maybe a lighter spring. Maybe me being 'old school' but I like the tried 'n true design much better and just don't trust round cut o-rings in this application.

Interesting point. From an engineering standpoint, the elastomer square cut seals are generally used more in static sealing applications than dynamic ones. If the materials, compression and gland fill on the o-ring is right, it can provide the needed seal reliability. Quad rings would be an interesting test (assuming there is an opportunity to improve on the improvement :laugh:)

Interesting point. From an engineering standpoint, the elastomer square cut seals are generally used more in static sealing applications than dynamic ones. If the materials, compression and gland fill on the o-ring is right, it can provide the needed seal reliability. Quad rings would be an interesting test (assuming there is an opportunity to improve on the improvement :laugh:)

IMO an O ring type seal will stand up better than a conventional square cut seal

We are dealing with heat and constant pressure here to seal the fluid , A hostile work place if you will;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkile1
Back