What Did You Do To Your Freewheeler Today?

Torque

After watching several videos on "fix my hog" they advised checking clutch and brake control units if newer bars installed . I had high bars installed on 15 fw in march. I checked using inch lb torque wrench and factory specs from manual . Maybe due to stress flex but all torx screws were almost 1/4 to 1/2 turn loose.

After watching several videos on "fix my hog" they advised checking clutch and brake control units if newer bars installed . I had high bars installed on 15 fw in march. I checked using inch lb torque wrench and factory specs from manual . Maybe due to stress flex but all torx screws were almost 1/4 to 1/2 turn loose.

Nice. It is on the checklist to verify those every 5,000 miles. I have the OEM bars, but I torqued them to spec after replacing my grips last summer. The 1 positive is there easy to check.

I like the Fix My Hog Guys. They have a video for every maintenance check item for the new M8's

What I am doing

I am installing a front passing lamp bracket and a set of passing lamp buckets with LED's. Ordered the lamp bracket from the HD dealer because I wanted good chrome and I got the passing lamp buckets with LED's on e-bay.When I get it done and wired,I will post a picture.

Passing lamps

I'm very interested to see the final installation. Ive been checking some sites but couldn't get a straight answer if the RK light bar will fit without modification of o.e. Also some have said they had to go with a heavier fuse when connected to headlight. I'm not too thrilled about over taxing wires and having them melt. So let us know where you power it. I would like to have a separate on/off switch like i had on my rk

Last edited:
Light bar

In answer to your question on what light bar,I also had the same problem.Finally,I found part # 68712-94A light bracket that fits from 2009 all the way up to present day on RK's. If you have a HD windshield installed,you need to tilt headlamp upward and remove trim ring to have enough clearance to install light bar.

I found I could move mine with a little force without loosening mounting bolt.If not,the bottom of w/shield will marr up the chrome on the mounting pads of light bar.I put a couple of layers of tape on this area.After you get bracket installed,you can tilt h/lamp back down into proper position and reinstall h/lamp ring.As far as the wiring goes,I have not got that far yet. On my last bike,I installed passing lamps and wired them from the accessory connector under left side panel to a on/off switch up by the bars.

So they stayed on all the time unless I shut them off. This time I think I will wire LED's into low beam h/lamp wire in the h/lamp bucket. I am not worried about LED's pulling too much current.Never had a problem.To be continued.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures of latest upgrades

I installed a RK light bar with Led's in the chrome lamp buckets. I wired into low beam yellow wire at h/lamp so LED's will go out when I hit high beam. Installed a set of rear fender bras from Brasfortrikes and instead of using the suggested rivots to secure the snap bases,I used 6-32 pan head machine screw with washers and nuts.Tried the rivot method,but could not get snap base tight enough.I have LED's aimed high so drivers will see me,I hope

Attachments

• IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 4,058
  • IMG_0424.JPG
    IMG_0424.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 4,130
  • IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 4,112
  • IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 4,126
  • IMG_0418.JPG
    IMG_0418.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 4,117
  • IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 4,085
I just flushed the front brake lines with new DOT 4 fluid.

I will remove the rear wheels & do the rear master cylinder over the winter.

I have to ride as it's 75 today in STL.:Dorag: There's rain moving in tonight!:gah:

UPDATE: I ran a couple errands & got 45 miles in. Is it possible for my FW to run better with each ride?

I did not think the front brakes would feel different, but they liked fresh fluid & the lever feel is very firm.

Not really sure why HD can't make a master cylinder that you can see the fluid level in?

Rain today & for the next few days. I avoid it, if possible.

I wanted to ride to my sons for Halloween, as his neighborhood does it up right for the kids. It's a nice ride, mainly highway & about 70 miles total.:Dorag:

Oh well, my SUV will work.

Trip to dealer

50° sunny, 5-10mph winds, taking a 120 mile round trip to dealer about small oil leak at oil cooler fitting. Seems to be common occurrence with spring clips. I'd fix it myself but maybe i can talk them in to doing it for me. There are two other dealers within 20 miles and 30 miles from me but they gave me attitude a few years back acting like they were doing me a big favor by allowing me to buy a bike.

50° sunny, 5-10mph winds, taking a 120 mile round trip to dealer about small oil leak at oil cooler fitting. Seems to be common occurrence with spring clips. I'd fix it myself but maybe i can talk them in to doing it for me. There are two other dealers within 20 miles and 30 miles from me but they gave me attitude a few years back acting like they were doing me a big favor by allowing me to buy a bike.

Good luck. Personally, I would just take 15 minutes & fix it myself & then go on a pleasure ride.:cool: I have actually had good luck with the spring clamps, when installed properly.

When the 2017 trikes (M8) came out, there was a recall on those oil cooler lines not being installed properly at the factory & blowing off.

Oil clamps

Susquehanna valley hd took it right in ,put new clamps on no question asked. Didn't even use extended warranty. Even with extended warranty they don't charge a deductible. Top notch guys,80 miles so far stop for lunch and head back out

Tri glides

The finance man at the dealership told me they sold five 2019 tglides since September, and have two more on back order. Not bad for a mid sized population with two other hd dealers within 30 - 45 minutes drive. Tech said they have only had two complaints about clutches and fluid migration.

Finished 215 mile putt, may be last one for season, rain next four days then probably snow in anthracite coal region of Pa.

Nice Free Bird!

I just got back from a 70 mile ride on a cloudy, 50° day. 10 miles from home & it starts drizzling.

It was cold rain. I had to dry off my baby when I got back home and get a hot tea for myself. :AGGHH::AGGHH:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png