The Story Behind “The Road to Nowhere”

Zammy

20500+ Posts
Jan 15, 2015
W. Florida
"In the 1930s and 1940s, Swain County NC gave up the majority of its private land to the Federal Government for the creation of Fontana Lake and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Fontana Lake is actually a reservoir for Fontana Dam, which was built as a TVA project during World War II to produce electricity for ALCOA aluminum plants in Tennessee as well as for Oak Ridge National Laboratory’s Manhattan Project. Hundreds of people were forced to leave the small Smoky Mountain communities that had been their homes for generations. With the creation of the Park, their homes were gone, and so was Old Highway 288 the road to those communities. The old road was buried beneath the deep waters of Fontana Lake.

The Federal government promised to replace Highway 288 with a new road. Lakeview Drive was to have stretched along the north shore of Fontana Lake, from Bryson City to Fontana, 30 miles to the west. And, of special importance to those displaced residents, it was to have provided access to the old family cemeteries where generations of ancestors remained behind.

But Lakeview Drive fell victim to an environmental issue and construction was stopped, with the road ending at a tunnel, about six miles into the park. The environmental issue was eventually deemed too expensive and the roadwork was never resumed. And Swain County’s citizens gave the unfinished Lakeview Drive its popular, albeit unofficial name “The Road To Nowhere.”"

Jo Ann and I wanted to see this curiosity while we were in Maggie Valley along with 'ol' school' and his wife. We took a day trip to Bryson City to check it out. It was a beautiful ride into the park and ended at the tunnel. Not really much to see but we walked all the way through it, about 1/4 mile and out the other side. Lots of graffiti but an otherwise non descript journey, still glad we went.

IAY96HIo_o.jpg
Q11LD5Xe_o.jpg
hGftR3dx_o.jpg
KTmAG924_o.jpg

Good post thanks for sharing. It's always the 'back story' that's intriguing. I'm surprised you found such a road, usually nobody knows except the locals, or maybe you are a local.....whoops no, I see W Florida, maybe around Tampa Bay area. I had to edit and go back to your msg to figure that out since I forgot to look.

Hey Bill, we're in Tarpon Springs and I found out about "nowhere" just surfing around the Maggie Valley area on the web, stroke of luck.

Hey Bill, we're in Tarpon Springs and I found out about "nowhere" just surfing around the Maggie Valley area on the web, stroke of luck.

Oh Tarpon, just 'over there', gosh, haven't been there in years, Mrs. and I must saddle up and go there for a day ride; and, how fortunate you were to find this 'road to nowhere'. Loving this Florida weather, missing the TN, NC riding. Heading up to Sevierville late November for a brief visit, see all the Christmas lights, etc, be taking the cage of course.

Bill

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png