"Pop" in front end

kodiak198

Oct 3, 2018
Johnson City, TN, United States
I have a 2017 TG bought used and has 7300 miles on it. I have noticed it making a "Pop" sound/feel in the handlebars. It is most noticeable negotiating curves, only occasionally when going straight. It feels like I run over a rock or something, it feels likes the tire moves (slightly) and it feels like it Pops. I know this doesn't explain it well but it is more of a feeling than a noise yet it seems that I can hear it.

I asked my local H-D service manager and it says that it is normal for TGs. He doesn't know why they do it but that it is normal and okay. I checked the forks and I do not see any oil leaking. The trike still feels stable and I can't see or feel any tire wobble. There does not seem to be any play in the handlebars/tires input/movement.

Maybe it is ok, just curious if any of you have had this experience and if it is indeed the nature of the TG. Just a wee bit nerve wracking for a novice rider.

Thanks in advance, Rick

I have a 2017 TG bought used and has 7300 miles on it. I have noticed it making a "Pop" sound/feel in the handlebars. It is most noticeable negotiating curves, only occasionally when going straight. It feels like I run over a rock or something, it feels likes the tire moves (slightly) and it feels like it Pops. I know this doesn't explain it well but it is more of a feeling than a noise yet it seems that I can hear it.

I asked my local H-D service manager and it says that it is normal for TGs. He doesn't know why they do it but that it is normal and okay. I checked the forks and I do not see any oil leaking. The trike still feels stable and I can't see or feel any tire wobble. There does not seem to be any play in the handlebars/tires input/movement.

Maybe it is ok, just curious if any of you have had this experience and if it is indeed the nature of the TG. Just a wee bit nerve wracking for a novice rider.

Thanks in advance, Rick

Rick, I don't think thats normal....Have them check the steering head bearing to make sure its torqued properly..And also the Tie link bracket on the front engine head...To make sure the two bolts [9 1/16's] didn't work loose ...They should be checked every 5k anyway ...

I’m owner #3 , as my 12 has dealer paper work on re torking the steering head from owner #1. While replacing my handle bar I rechecked it as all is ok. It still makes the sound that you describe. So as long as the nut is tight, I’m not concerned.

Mine also has a grease zurk on the steering neck , don’t know if the newer years still have them. :Shrug:

Reactions: MDO
In my opinion (and it is just that, lol) this is not normal. Such a sound would indicate to me that something was moving that should not be moving. You've had several good suggestions of things to check and hopefully will be able to locate and correct whatever is causing the sound.

My 2018 TG with 17k on it does not make this sound but I did have a '99 Ultra that would make quite a noticeable 'pop' sound under moderate front brake application. It was the steering stem bearing was too loose. Got it adjusted and the 'pop' was gone. Might try a bit more aggressive application of the front brake to see if it 'pops' then.

I have close to 30 thousand on our 09' and don't hear or feel any unusual noises something needs attended to in my honest opinion.:Shrug: Fred

3 Favorite dealer phase's......

1] They all do that.....

2] Thats normal....

3] Never seen/heard that before.....

Indeed, back in the day when parts would fly off when riding these statements would have been right at home:p

The guys @ Juneau Avenue called the internal part of the factory Harley Hospital. Many of the new lines spent time there for an array of problems before shipping to dealers. Then it was all on the dealer to explain why these bikes were so poorly assembled

Reactions: MDO
First, I realize this is an old thread but I wanted to let readers know what I found on my trike. After getting enough miles (10,000) I changed the front tire to a Michelin 3. After 500 miles, there has not been any problem. I think the front tire was the culprit for whatever reason.

So, if any readers are experiencing this type problem, it may be the tire.

First, I realize this is an old thread but I wanted to let readers know what I found on my trike. After getting enough miles (10,000) I changed the front tire to a Michelin 3. After 500 miles, there has not been any problem. I think the front tire was the culprit for whatever reason.

So, if any readers are experiencing this type problem, it may be the tire.

Front Tire or rear reversed?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png