• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

dna trike

Reaction score
I'm working on an older harley conversion with a dna rear end and the hub keeps rotating...I can't find any thing that keeps the axle housing/belt protective outer hub from rotating except the friction of the large vertical clamps that hold the rear facing rods (the ones that set the belt tension)...I've looked at a lot of pictures of dna conversions and some of them show a weld along the upper edge of the axle tube and one of the vertical brackets (the one with four holes)...and I watched a youtube video of a guy converting his sportster...in that video he stated that the factory told him to weld that bracket to the tube....which would certainly solve my problem, but I'd like to confirm that with the factory...and I can't find a phone number....

can anyone help me out here?

thanks,

rb\

I'm working on an older harley conversion with a dna rear end and the hub keeps rotating...I can't find any thing that keeps the axle housing/belt protective outer hub from rotating except the friction of the large vertical clamps that hold the rear facing rods (the ones that set the belt tension)...I've looked at a lot of pictures of dna conversions and some of them show a weld along the upper edge of the axle tube and one of the vertical brackets (the one with four holes)...and I watched a youtube video of a guy converting his sportster...in that video he stated that the factory told him to weld that bracket to the tube....which would certainly solve my problem, but I'd like to confirm that with the factory...and I can't find a phone number....

can anyone help me out here?

thanks,

rb\

RB, He is correct and your recollection is correct. Once you have the rear axle CENTERED and belt opening properly oriented, you will weld the internal pinch plate(s) to the axle tube. You only weld one on each side so that the other release when you need later adjustments. Rear axle needs to be level with he frame and perpendicular (squared) with the motorcycle. Aligning and belt adjustment is a multi-faceted operation. Take your time.

RB, He is correct and your recollection is correct. Once you have the rear axle CENTERED and belt opening properly oriented, you will weld the internal pinch plate(s) to the axle tube. You only weld one on each side so that the other release when you need later adjustments. Rear axle needs to be level with he frame and perpendicular (squared) with the motorcycle. Aligning and belt adjustment is a multi-faceted operation. Take your time.

thanks for the help...I was getting ready to try to anchor the center section at the top with a bolt or make a link that would have run from the brake caliper mount to the pinch plate...I think that would have worked...I ocnsidered welding, but was afraid it might warp the tube...(back in the day when we want to put some camber in the rear axle of our stock car, we would draw a bead on the axle housing opposite of the direction we wanted it to move....worked ok...was hell on bearings....

once again...thanks...

rb

RB..welcome to TrikeTalk from west Texas!

As you can see you have come to the right place for questions and answers!

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png