under ground dog fence

Fowler

900+ Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Moneta VA
If I had hair I would have pulled it all out by now.

My 2 dogs keep getting out of fence.

I have 3 acres all fenced but they keep finding ways out.

3/4 of it is through wooded area

I don't want to hurt my dogs with electrical shock but shocking them is better than them getting away.

So with all that said I am looking into getting a underground dog fence. The difference will be that I will zip tie the wire to my real fence. From what I have read this works fine.

What I am asking for is anyone's experiences with these types of dog fences, suggestions and so on.

If I had hair I would have pulled it all out by now.

My 2 dogs keep getting out of fence.

I have 3 acres all fenced but they keep finding ways out.

3/4 of it is through wooded area

I don't want to hurt my dogs with electrical shock but shocking them is better than them getting away.

So with all that said I am looking into getting a underground dog fence. The difference will be that I will zip tie the wire to my real fence. From what I have read this works fine.

What I am asking for is anyone's experiences with these types of dog fences, suggestions and so on.

I tried the shock collars and underground wire [Invisible fence] on two Newfie's i had, At the time i didn't have a fence... With the Female once i put it on her she won't go outside i had to force her out... With the male he would walk over the wire and take the shock..He weighed 206 pounds.. Ive talked to a few local rescues and they said they find a lot of lost dogs with the shock collar....Once the dog breaks past the wire they won't come back though it again.. :Shrug:

I tried the shock collars and underground wire [Invisible fence] on two Newfie's i had, At the time i didn't have a fence... With the Female once i put it on her she won't go outside i had to force her out... With the male he would walk over the wire and take the shock..He weighed 206 pounds.. Ive talked to a few local rescues and they said they find a lot of lost dogs with the shock collar....Once the dog breaks past the wire they won't come back though it again.. :Shrug:

That sucks man, I hope it does not turn out that way for me.

I have fixed that fence so many times now.

I need a new fence but wanted to wait until next spring/summer. I would put it in myself and I am not going to do it in this weather.

That sucks man, I hope it does not turn out that way for me.

I have fixed that fence so many times now.

I need a new fence but wanted to wait until next spring/summer. I would put it in myself and I am not going to do it in this weather.

Maybe just until the weather gets better you could put up a small radius yard fence by the house that would hold them until you get your 3 acres fixed. 3 acres is a LOT of fence to keep dogs in. We had a neighbor whose dog could climb his 6 ft wood fence. He went to the feed store and bought a hot wire fencing setup for cattle and ran it across the top of his fence. That stopped the escape artist PDQ. Best of luck to you.

Fowler, I had 5 acres and there was just too much wildlife running around to keep my dog close to the house.

I tried the underground wire and collar and it just irritated my dog's neck and he would come and go without a problem.

This dog was born in the wild and I suspect he really never got over that.

I tried the underground wire and it knocked the crap out of me !

I never got to try anything else there because I moved to a much smaller lot.

I put a board fence around the back yard, about 1/2 acre, and I used a solar with battery cattle fence wire and I would have to repair the wire almost daily because the dog would chew the wire apart (aluminum) and escape.

After repairing the fence and wires numerous times I put a new battery in the fence system.

He hit it one time testing it and I could hear him from inside the house.

I believe he tested it another time but he had no further interest in it.

Once he got used to his confines (several years) the fence had done it's job and he had lost his spirited behavior.

I got the dog fence installed today

I crawled around my entire property zip tieing it to the fence.

The I tried to test a collar but could not hear the beeps. thought is was not working so I put it to my hand. It was working!!!

It came with a test light but it did not give the reading I thought it should

SO

I went around the fence every often putting the contact points to my hand. It worked every time.

Reminds me of the days when mt father would make me hold spark plug wires

anyway put the collars on the dogs. They yelped when the got close to the fence.

I hope they will learn to stay away from the fence

Neighbor has the invisible fence, and when the pup escapes he lays in the street in front of his driveway. Knowing if he goes home he’ll get zapped

Neighbor has the invisible fence, and when the pup escapes he lays in the street in front of his driveway. Knowing if he goes home he’ll get zapped

So the neighbor is going to lose the dog one way or another...either he runs away and never gets back or he gets run over while lying in the street....hmm...I think neighbor needs to put up a good yard fence.

Bob, Are you using the flags ?? That might help define an area and they would associate the flags as the cause of the shock. Then the flags become a tool for later use.

yes a bunch of them

had to buy extra

We walked the dogs around the yard and fence, every time they got close to the fence and flags we told the no

We will keep doing this hopefully they will learn

The dogs are getting used to the fence being off limits now.

I have the warning zone set at 5 feet but they will not go that close.

They play in the yards running all over they just avoid the fence areas.

We take the collars off at night and lock them in the house.

So far it is working good.

Me myself I am still healing from crawling around my fence. Every muscle in my body hurts and I have a few scraps here and there.

To Old To Fat

Me myself I am still healing from crawling around my fence. Every muscle in my body hurts and I have a few scraps here and there.

To Old To Fat

:clapping: GOOD for you! Glad for all that this is working out!

To Old To Fat

Be careful, the wife might put one around the couch..... my wife was searching the internet for one. :qpnmt:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png