HD Customer Service -Locks

Reaction score
I have a 2011 HD Trike. I use it sparingly. It has less than 14k miles on it. I have had to replace the lower trunk lock FOUR TIMES in 8 years! I contacted Harley customer service only to be told there ARE no issues with the lock and that I need to work closely with my service representatives to find out why my locks keep breaking! I couldn't help but feel I was getting the "stupid little woman" routine.

Three times before, the locking cylinder would come out as I tried to take the key out. Each of those times the plastic sleeve into which the key cylinder fit had one or more broken parts. Never did the lock stick or not respond to my key or turning. There was NO indication the lock was going to fail. I was always able to reinsert the cylinder to open (or even lock) the trunk.

This last time, the entire locking cylinder and plastic sleeve fell into the trunk as I pressed on the button to open the door! The door was locked and there was fresh fish and meat in the trunk. It took a Harley salesman more than two hours to get the trunk open (it was Sunday and the service Dept was closed). He kindly put a wire to the lock and through the hole that would allow me to open it and get my groceries out.

The second time I used the wire, it broke where it came in contact with the edge of the keyhole. Now the HD service department is struggling to open it and I am paying $115.00/hr for the labor before they can replace the locking mechanism. These technicians told me this was a "common" problem, and that HD had essentially re-engineered it. Both of these statements were denied by HD customer service. HD customer service told me that since my bike is out of warranty, they are not responsible and, essentially, it is MY fault that this has happened. Two separate shops with two separate technicians have stated there are consistent problems with this lock.

im seeing in this forum that I'm not alone in this!

i have taken this to our consumer division of my local TV station.

Marie, Welcome to Trike Talk

I am sorry to hear of your problem with HD

In retrospect Harley Corp has been in denial of problems for years now

I know this does not make your problem any less

IMO your best interest is to keep on complaining as much as you can

Make more aware of your ongoing problems. It may get some attention from HD

You can read more here

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/33808-Tri-Glide-trunk-lock

Marie......Welcome to Trike-Talk......:wave4:.....And yes the trunk lock is problematic among many issues Harley owners are having.. And Harley's Costumer Service is also Problematic at best...I'm willing to bet that all the Harley board of directors and CEO's have golden parachutes ....

Reactions: ljk
Locks

Marie......Welcome to Trike-Talk......:wave4:.....And yes the trunk lock is problematic among many issues Harley owners are having.. And Harley's Costumer Service is also Problematic at best...I'm willing to bet that all the Harley board of directors and CEO's have golden parachutes ....

TOTALLY AGREE with all the above comments. The Wife/I both have 2010 HD trikes and have had issues and locks replaced. The best solution we have found all these years is to

keep them lubed and avoid ‘slamming’ the trunk door upon closing.

Bottom line - yes,a poor design and yes, VERY POOR customer service!

:gah:

:welcome:To the Trike Talk Family! FROM SOUTH
attachment.php

Howdy Marie! Merry Christmas :stockings:

welcome aboard question how do you close the trunk? I slowly close mine until the lock makes contact then I give a firm push to close all the way. I have never had an issue with my 13 (52k miles) good luck

Marie, Hello and Welcome. Hope you get a satisfactory resolution to your lock problem. No problem yet, but the trunk locking mechanism is the one item I have to operate far too gingerly on a supposedly touring class vehicle.

Mine broke and completely fell out also at around 15,000 miles. Dealer suggested I had been locking/unlocking it wrong. He gave me some instructions like I was in the first grade, which matched how I was using my key on it, then replaced it under warranty. They had to wait for parts so that told me either they were never replacing these or they were breaking so often they couldn't keep parts on hand. I think it was the latter.

welcome aboard question how do you close the trunk? I slowly close mine until the lock makes contact then I give a firm push to close all the way. I have never had an issue with my 13 (52k miles) good luck

Exactly how I close mine and have for the last 3 TG's I've owned with over 70K miles. Not even a hint of a problem. Not even in the winter.

I constantly see riders slamming the door over and over. No wonder it doesn't last.

Welcome aboard, Marie! Sorry to hear of your ongoing lock problem. I have been waiting for a new lock from Harley, dealer ordered it several weeks ago. My Trike is in storage for the winter, so no big rush at this point. I always close the door slowly and give it a little final push to hear it click. Mine broke apart just over 20k miles.

OP youve given it your best shot-but the baby dont swim.Find a good indy that you can trust. Have him install a dummy lock. Have him route a spring loaded pull cable to Lock Mechanism, part# 83352-11. Route the cable straight down to and thru a hole out the bottom of the trunk.There.A secret release and youll never be locked out again.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png