Need some help/advice.

Dec 30, 2014
Grand Junction, Co. USA
Okay ... so a little back ground. I normally don't like black anything. I find myself in the odd position of owning a black truck and a black bike, not to mention the previous black bike the Harley.

I purchased these bikes because I got them at a good price and knew I could fix them up and at a minimum, get my money back in a short period if I choose to. I did well on the Harley, ended up like $1100 to the good after just 7 months.

Another background type issue is I usually don't ask for advice ... except through prayer. I've been getting phone calls from the dealer I use all the time. They want me to trade Helga in for a 2006 ABS, Navi, Bight Silver (color I like) with only 14k miles. It would basically be a straight swap with about a $12 monthly payment increases in my 36 monthly payments. Easily doable.

The 06 is bone stock and we all know how much I like stock wings. 90% of the stuff I've added, BT Cd Thingie, Highway pegs, etc. would be easily moved to the 06.

Okay

Pros for Helga, I just did all the maintenance on her and she is as I like her. She runs smooth and quiet and is really fun too ride.

Cons for Helga, She is 15 years old. She is black, biggie in my book, and she has 54k miles. Yea I know ... she's basically not even really broken in yet. Another issue is I'm not real comfortable with her electrical, not sure what the PO did, but, every time I remove some plastic, I find something buggered up. Not a real big deal as I can fix 99% of it. Just makes me wonder if next year on my way to Kerrville or some other destination, some wire that was jury rigged is gonna catch fire and strand me in the middle of no where. If I keep her, I would basically ride her for up to 5 years then trade her for a trike Wing.

Pros for The 06, I'm gonna name her Jessica if I do this, Bone Stock, Heated Seats, Heated Grips, Navi, ABS, Bone stock and 40K less miles. In my opinion, she'd be a prime candidate for Zook to trike.

Cons for Jessica, She's 12 years old. I would need to do maintenance again, not a biggie and not a lot of $$ since I'd do it myself and I enjoy doing it. It needs the secondary master cylinder recall done and while there, I'd have Honda do the rest of the brakes flush, clutch flush and coolant flush. About $150 in parts and labor. At some point after my surgery, I'd do the air cleaner and do the large peeking under her skirt.

Another consideration is weather in the Rockies. The dealer knows my issue with that and said if I give him a deposit, he'd hold it up to 2 months ... with the same provisions that the deposit is refundable if I get there and the bike is not as advertised or rides poorly. So weather is not a biggie. I told them I would let them know next week as I want to pray about it and think about it.

Okay ... so I know "though shalt not test thy Lord your God" an I'm not really doing that (kind of am) ... I've basically asked God for a sign that I'm doing the right thing. I basically said that I would pray about it and if by next week it was still available, I'd take that as a sign that God didn't have any objections and I was in accordance with His Will. Since then, I got a call from the dealer offering me $500 less on the bike and if I said yes, they would use that $500 as a deposit to hold it. I trust this dealer and he knows when I bring a bike in, it's in way better shape than when I took it out. I know it seems like a win win for me ... I could always say I changed my mind and I'm not out anything except that I'd loose the trust of a dealer I trust. Biggie in my book.

So ... What do you think???? I'm open to all suggestions. Well ... almost ... :D

The '06 is what I have and it has some advantages, primarily improved cooling system since you're considering triking it. Sounds like a pretty good deal for what you want. However, you're still dealing with a 13 model year old bike. On mine I am concerned about weathering wiring, hoses, etc., not the primary drivetrain. I've already had to replace the main wiring harness which was $3,000 and five months since none were available and I had to wait on Honda to build one in Japan.

Best of luck to you. Me? I'd go for the '06.

Fuzzy, I'd say the stars are aligned for you my friend. I vote to trade up. An '06 makes a very nice trike. As to the age, heck I ride a 99 GL1500SE with over a hundred thousand miles and I feel very confident in riding it anywhere I want to go. Like you, I have mine finally the way I like it with chrome, seat and electronics and I'm too old now to start over again. Good Luck in whatever you decide!

Well, if you're wanting to change out, that sounds like a Fair Deal. The Dealer must like you........

Done

Welp ... My dealer called this morning and sweetened the pot, added another $500 in discounts ... It's a done deal, he's overnighting the paperwork and the contract is contingent on my test ride results. He is shutting down from 12/22/18 through 01/02/19 and I can't get there before then. He's trying to lower his inventory before the 1st so he doesn't pay tax on it ... "Year End Sale" type thing.

He is kewl with storing Jessica until 01/29/19 (my scheduled knee replacement) ... my first opportunity to get there would be 12/26/18, but, since he's closed until 01/02/19, I'll be shooting for 01/02/19 or whatever day the weather looks good to drag my trailer over the Rockies ... LOL ... with Helga to get Jessica.

The advantage to this is, I'll have some time to get stuff off Helga that will fit on Jessica, Highway pegs, windshield, new CD BT thingie ... etc.

So guess I'm the proud Papa of an 06 GL1800 Comfort, Navi, ABS.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png