condensation on chrome

shepdaddy

Sep 18, 2015
snow hill
:confused: i really need help to prevent condensation on chrome,especially on the side covers. i keep my 2018 freewheeler in a garage without heat,on a concrete floor. this is really bad,,,,,,,,,,help would be so much appreciated. thanks for some advice. happy new year to all.,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The only way your gona combat the issue , is heated garage. With all the rain this year/season , when I open my garage door the moist air just creates condensation on everything. Try a dehumidifier. As it will work even with out heat .

The only way I can see is leave a window open or run a vent to keep the temp the same inside the garage as it is outside . I have same problem in my motorcycle side. When it gets cool in there and it warms up outside and gets more humid it collects on any thing thats colder... I fix it by opening the door and letting the temp equalize. Usually only happens after a long cold snap then it warms up some and gets foggy... Best way is heat the area its in. Fan blowing to circulate the air would help some. But if its cooler that the humid air, your going to have condensation.

When I had my woodshop I used to combat the moisture problem on all my cast iron surfaces (table saws, jointer, planer, band saws, etc) as they would literally rust overnight. Heat always works but is not always reasonable. I found that moving air was almost as good as heat. I placed a small (and cheap) fan up in one corner of the shop mounted to the ceiling. I'm in Ohio so we are familiar with extreme cold and miserable heat and humidity. Good luck with your battles!

thanks for the advice

thank you all for the ideas. don't have heat,but definitly will try the others.:Coffee:

This reminds me I didn't spray the chrome on my bikes yet. I usually mix atf and mineral spirits until I can get it to come out of a spray bottle. Then spray all the chrome. Makes a mess of course, but no rust. Washes off pretty easy come spring time. I'd be interested in a real fix.

This reminds me I didn't spray the chrome on my bikes yet. I usually mix atf and mineral spirits until I can get it to come out of a spray bottle. Then spray all the chrome. Makes a mess of course, but no rust. Washes off pretty easy come spring time. I'd be interested in a real fix.

Less Chrome......:D....

Theres an Old Bikers saying....

Run it might, But Shine it must....:D..

How about some damp rid around the trike?

fd5d99a2-afb1-4f2f-b4f0-1590b1fe9abe_1.f53738ab77bf12a8eef339608390fe0b.jpeg

I've read about these but have no experience with them: https://www.carbag.com/

It seems that if you can build up a sealed storage area in your garage with Visquene (heavy plastic) and use one or more desiccant packs inside it, you'd be OK. The packs are usually "rechargeable" by putting them in the oven for a period of time to "dry" them out. Once dry they stay good if stored in a ziplock bag. Make sure the storage area has a plastic covered floor also (not concrete, etc. floor).

Here's another one: https://extremevehicleprotection.com/

I Googled ziplock bags for cars.

Just remembered another thing. You can use a 60 - 100 watt light bulb inside the "bag" that will probably generate enough heat to burn off the humidity. Just make sure it doesn't contact anything burnable. This way you don't have to heat the whole garage.

I keep a 100 watt drop light laying beside the bike all winter and have done so for years without any problems. It's just enough heat to drive away any moisture. Maybe even lay 2 down. This can be done on a concrete floor only. If it's sunny out i will open the back door so the sun can shine in though the screen door and warm things up a bit, even if it's 0 out.

Keep in mind, no matter what fuel you burn, it's going to give of moisture as a by product. I learned the hard way too using a 50,000 BTU kerosene heater in the dead cold of winter to work in the garage. The air compressor, drill press and radial arm saw all got rust on them.

PC

You could go to a store that sells to ranchers and farmers (tractor Supply) ... they have rubber pads that lock together ... get enough to park your trike over .. should help stem the moister coming from the floor. Probably only need four. That would make it 72" by 96".

Here's a link

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/group-summit-mighty-lite-mat?rfk=1

OR just go to a rug store and purchase a rug remnant, (a size that fits the length of your bike) that's what I did, I believe it's working (don't know for sure till this spring when the hibernation period is over.. BUT then again I did wax the heck of all my chrome , before hugging it and saying my final good bye to my bike before closing the garage door...(Sleepy)(Sadface)(Headbang)

Ronnie

Sounds to me like the rug remnant would work and should be an economical purchase at any carpet store. I'd be giving that a try before I forked out the big bucks.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png