Better Performance?

Good morning

Rick can you ask your friend about license, from what Richard said rouch does not have the stallion information any longer so who did he get his from. basically sounds like the ecu was flashed. interested in your mileage, has it improved.

Thank You

Dragon

It was just a local Dyno shop I took it to.

guys the 2.3 engine setup is very popular in local racing circles. I am sure he found all the data he needed on line.

I agree the 2.3 has been around a long time, books published on mods, ect. there is one thing these people had to start with a vin number. problem I have had is I have taken it to 3 ford dealers, and 2 hot shot tune up places only to have them say without a vin our computer cannot talk to your vehicle. it doesn't know where to look for data:Shrug:

Dragon

I contacted Performance Chip Tuning which has a chip for the 2.3 but can not be used if there is a Roush tune in the ECM. This is very bad news for not being able to just buy a chip.:(

Numbers and price sound good! If I weren't going to buy a new trike, I would invest in the dyno tune. The next owner might be interested though . Don't forget to post your mileage. Now I get 30-32 mpg here in Florida but, when I'm on out of state trips it always jumps up from 3-8 more mpg as those states don't have as many additives in their fuel blends! I actually got 44 mpg in Arkansas with no ethanol regular gas! Tomg

i would be interested also on the gas milage

I have a question for you Stallion owners

What does your diagnostic port look like?

If it is a standard OBD2 port a good scanner will spit out a VIN;)

Did 125 miles this morning. Got 29mpg, but went up higher so the engine was pulling harder. 98% of this trip was at 70mph or higher. It didn't seem to be laboring as hard as it used to on the hills up and down ending at about 5100 feet for breakfast. Rick

I talked to a major tuning shop and was told they could not tune my Stallion due to the Roush tune installed. In other words they can't remove it. The shop that did your tune must be really good. Maybe you can let him know there are others who want his tuning. Is it possible you can check with him to see if mail tuning possible?

I could be wrong here but, I don't believe that "ALL" Stallions had the Roush ecm upgrade. I don't think the early ones and maybe the last ones were upgraded. Probably the only one to tell us would be TMS listing the serial numbers with the Roush tune. Tomg

I was thinking the same thing, in fact, I'm wondering why did they find it necessary to have a Roush tune . And also, does that mean some Stallions have more hp than others? This Roush tune thing is not making very much sense. There should be a VIN# on the engine block, I'm going to look for it eventho it may be almost impossible to see it.

I was thinking the same thing, in fact, I'm wondering why did they find it necessary to have a Roush tune . And also, does that mean some Stallions have more hp than others? This Roush tune thing is not making very much sense. There should be a VIN# on the engine block, I'm going to look for it eventho it may be almost impossible to see it.

Yes they had about 5 more hp and probably wasn't worth the price for the small increase, in my opinion. I thought the original was 150 and Roush was 155, probably wrong but those numbers seem to stick in my mind from somewhere. Tomg

There aren't any VIN numbers on engines...There are serial numbers...The Vehicle Identification Number is on the body/frame of the Vehicle to tell you the date of production the color of the body type of transmission and engine size [One of the # in the vin will tell you which engine you should have] and a few other bits of pertinent info..........All those Numbers on a vin plate are a non secret code...

guys some tuning had to be done for the drive train package to work in the stallion. there is a large weight difference between a ford 4 x 4 ranger and the stallion.

by the way for those who dont know the transmission is from the 4 x 4 with the tail shaft being chaged to a custom tail for the length of the drive line to work.

tuning would be required for the shifting points to be changed at the very least. tbms probably had the orginal tune setup by rousch and then just flashed that program into the ecm during production. coding could of been added that prohibited re flashing.

one might try one of those modules that plug into the obd11 port that allows modifing the information coming out of the ecm to change performance.

guys some tuning had to be done for the drive train package to work in the stallion. there is a large weight difference between a ford 4 x 4 ranger and the stallion.

by the way for those who dont know the transmission is from the 4 x 4 with the tail shaft being chaged to a custom tail for the length of the drive line to work.

tuning would be required for the shifting points to be changed at the very least. tbms probably had the orginal tune setup by rousch and then just flashed that program into the ecm during production. coding could of been added that prohibited re flashing.

one might try one of those modules that plug into the obd11 port that allows modifing the information coming out of the ecm to change performance.

Good info, one company that sell the chip said it would not work if there's a tune in the ECM.

There aren't any VIN numbers on engines...There are serial numbers...The Vehicle Identification Number is on the body/frame of the Vehicle to tell you the date of production the color of the body type of transmission and engine size [One of the # in the vin will tell you which engine you should have] and a few other bits of pertinent info..........All those Numbers on a vin plate are a non secret code...

Thanks, I found out before I went to look for it.

Gorilla is "on point" with his response.

The original HP #'s were "estimates" based on the Ranger platform since no tuning/testing had truly been done at that point.

For those who don't quite follow the Rousch connection. ALL mileage, epa, & certification testing has to be done by a secondary company (we did not provide the mileage estimates directly). Additionally, we had "modified" the intake & muffler setup for "setup" purposes. Roush "designed" the intake & exhaust setup on the Stallion & did the tuning for the pcm for shift points, etc. Once they completed that aspect they also did the mileage & epa testing/certifications (non carb states) for TMS.

The pcm's weren't pre-flashed or pre-tuned in the Roush facility; Roush built a "programming box" that did the flashing of the pcm's for TBMS. ALL of the Stallion pcm's from Ford were standard 170pin "non flashed" pcms; during the build process "programming box" was plugged into the obd 2 port & the key cycled on to initiate the programming of the pcm. I've attached a picture I "borrowed" from the interwebs to help give an idea of what this "box" I speak of looks like. It's essentially just like the below picture with 5 or 6 lights on it that light up as the programming is done.

Capture.JPG

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png