Rear Shock Reservoir removal

TTNW

Jun 22, 2017
Spokane, WA USA
Hey folks:

I have a 2007 GL1800 with a Monarch II installed. I need to remove the shock reservoir to clean and fill it up. It doesn't start the preload till around 12 in the dial. I know what needs to be done, but I'm wondering if anyone here has had to work on this. It looks to me as though I will have to remove the right wheel and attack this thing from under the trike. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance...

Chuck

Chuck, I can only answer what I have read on the subject. I have never removed one with the body on. If you send a pix, since I don't have one here, I might be able to determine if it can be removed through the front without disconnecting the line. You will need to fill it prior to install since you have no access after it is installed.

Hey Jim

Well, not able to get you picture yet, but I can tell you that I can't get to the mounting bolts. Guess maybe I answered my own question. But if I can get info from others. That may help.

Thank you sir for all your help... You're the best.

Chick

Chuck I have an 07 Monarch II and I did this about 2 1/2 years ago.What I wound up doing was zeroing the shock on the panel and then putting the trike up on Jackstands. You have to remove the right rear wheel to access the shock. Its on the inside wall of the body on the frame behind the wheel. You kinda have to work partially in the wheel well for a bit. I wound up also having to get a breaker bar to loosen the mounting bolts for the shock to the frame. You can unplug the shock but remember before loosening and removing the hydraulic line to mark which direction the line is mounted on the shock. Before refilling it I took a philips head screwdriver and made sure the piston was bottomed inside of the hydraulic cylinder. I dumped out all of the old oil and refilled it with regular hydraulic jack oil. It took me a couple of hours and I wasnt in any hurry. My shock was almost like yours. It would start at 11.

Chuck I have an 07 Monarch II and I did this about 2 1/2 years ago.What I wound up doing was zeroing the shock on the panel and then putting the trike up on Jackstands. You have to remove the right rear wheel to access the shock. Its on the inside wall of the body on the frame behind the wheel. You kinda have to work partially in the wheel well for a bit. I wound up also having to get a breaker bar to loosen the mounting bolts for the shock to the frame. You can unplug the shock but remember before loosening and removing the hydraulic line to mark which direction the line is mounted on the shock. Before refilling it I took a philips head screwdriver and made sure the piston was bottomed inside of the hydraulic cylinder. I dumped out all of the old oil and refilled it with regular hydraulic jack oil. It took me a couple of hours and I wasnt in any hurry. My shock was almost like yours. It would start at 11.

Well, I got the unit unbolted and got a real education. Looks like I'll have to remove the fuel tank to get it out to work on it. I guess while that is the case, I'll look at replacing the spring too. If it's NOT the HD spring the should have been installed when the kit was installed. Darn the bad luck...

Chuck

Well, I got the unit unbolted and got a real education. Looks like I'll have to remove the fuel tank to get it out to work on it. I guess while that is the case, I'll look at replacing the spring too. If it's NOT the HD spring the should have been installed when the kit was installed. Darn the bad luck...

Chuck

Chuck, If you are just servicing the pre-load pump, you can just disconnect the line at the pump and re-route the line when you install it. You don't need to drop the shock. You can use a vacuum pump to remove the old fluid from the jack (and hose) on the shock. Use brake-kleen to rinse it out several times. After cleaning the pump, pre-fill the line before connecting to the pump. You will have to raise and lower the line to get all of the air out before filling the reservoir. :Shrug:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png