• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Stability of 2014 Tri Glide

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Please forgive me for a, possibly, dumb question. We bought a 2014 Tri Glide just before winter here in North West , CT. We only got 80 miles before winter caused us to park it in the garage. We also have a 2001 Ultra and, because of my health and leg, decided to buy a tri glide to see if we can be in the wind more often. ( because of my lost strength, we haven't ridden the ultra much at all in the last two years.

We look forward to our yearly trip to Americade, NY and we always take RT 22 from MA to 149 in Grandville NY. to RT 9. RT 22 is an average of 50MPH limit sometimes 55...lots of curves. Has anyone ridden this route with a Tri Glide and, if so, any problem keeping the speed limits on those curves. I'm not, nor ever been, a speedster...Speed limit is fine with me. As I said, I'm new at this and really don't know what to expect with stability of our Tri Glide.

Thank you in advance of any possible info.

Welcome Charlie, only advice I got to give is being it’s winter , you should get your upper body strength in shape , as the push - pull steering can take a toll on ya. Every thing else will come naturally as your miles add up.

As far as the route goes to lake George , I take the TSP to rt 90 or the NYS thruway , depending on my mood. Ride safe.

Welcome Charlie, only advice I got to give is being it’s winter , you should get your upper body strength in shape , as the push - pull steering can take a toll on ya. Every thing else will come naturally as your miles add up.

As far as the route goes to lake George , I take the TSP to rt 90 or the NYS thruway , depending on my mood. Ride safe.

Thank you. I am working on upper body/arm strength. I still have that but my leg went bad on me. 4 times on the surgeon's table and I'm better, but I just don't trust my leg strength holding up our Ultra. The 80 miles we got on our Tri Glide was fine..getting used to it pretty quickly..just don't know what to expect on that RT 22 plus, that road is the kind of roads we travel here. I'm not a big fan of Highway . We prefer back road type riding.

The Triglide will not be a problem they are stable as a rock, and very forgiving. The pushing and pulling method for steering you will surprise yourself how naturally the steering comes to you. Accelerate through the turns helps. Planting the outside foot on the floorboard will also help with comfort and feeling of stability. We have never lost traction and I have ridden very aggressively in the turns around Western Pennsylvania and we have some really nice roads to do it on. I like pushing it to the edge... something about feeling alive in the wind. :D travel safe Fred

Hello Charles

I have a gold wing trike an what I have found, trikes are a lot of fun and very stable. I also do not like the hwy I do back roads when possibly. I was told when I trike mine out that a trike could push a 2 wheeler in the rough stuff. I am here to say it is true, after I road a while and got used to the trike, it takes a good 2 wheeler to leave me in the rough stuff .

Hello everyone. Please forgive me for a, possibly, dumb question. We bought a 2014 Tri Glide just before winter here in North West , CT. We only got 80 miles before winter caused us to park it in the garage. We also have a 2001 Ultra and, because of my health and leg, decided to buy a tri glide to see if we can be in the wind more often. ( because of my lost strength, we haven't ridden the ultra much at all in the last two years.

We look forward to our yearly trip to Americade, NY and we always take RT 22 from MA to 149 in Grandville NY. to RT 9. RT 22 is an average of 50MPH limit sometimes 55...lots of curves. Has anyone ridden this route with a Tri Glide and, if so, any problem keeping the speed limits on those curves. I'm not, nor ever been, a speedster...Speed limit is fine with me. As I said, I'm new at this and really don't know what to expect with stability of our Tri Glide.

Thank you in advance of any possible info.

Charlie you shouldn't have any problems with the handling of the Trike...Once you learn ''Not'' to use counter-steering....It will take a little more strength to steer it, But a lift kit will alleviate most of that.....Just get out and ride...ThumbUp

At 74 I am much more aggressive in curves than I ever was on two wheels. As your confidence grows I think you will find the Tri to be more fun than you ever expected. A little different fun but FUN never the less. By 300 to 500 miles I was really starting to enjoy it.

Bob

I'm a year and a half into my Tri-Glide ownership with 20k on the clock. Like many others I never though I'd like riding a trike but I discovered early on that it is a blast and much less stressful than riding two wheels especially when two-up and loaded. As for steering effort, yes it does take some but honestly I've never had the least problem with it and I've ridden 400 + mile days many, many times and often in the twisties. And it is very stable in the twisties. When the weather warms get out there and ride. I doubt you'll have any problem on the roads you prefer.

The tri is very Stable. So much so, that I followed Kevin of DK into some "out of my comfort zone" maneuvers ... and the tri just smiled and kept on trucking.

We did a U turn where we went down into a wide spot off the road into sand and turned back onto the road that I thought would have tipped us ... nope. I got a video of it, but I no longer have an account to post it from ... If I remember, you gotta have like utube or something. Maybe Kevin will chime in and post it.

Welcome aboard, Charlie!

As others have said, you should be fine. When spring gets here, just get out and ride that thing on the back roads near you. Stay in your "comfort zone" and you will find that your "comfort zone" will expand with practice. I find that I "can" take corners at 10 to 15 mph over the posted for the curve, I have 20k miles on mine now.

So, just ride, learn & have fun!!

One other thing, put your arms out wide from your sides. That will give you an idea of the width of the rear end, helps around gas pumps, curbs, ect.

One more thing! When you park, think about how you will get back out of that parking space. The reverse is great but it was not built strong enough to do a lot of up hill backing. I always like to drive forward out of the space when ever I can.

Best of luck to you!

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png