Knee Replacement Surgery - Post your thoughts/Experiences

Dec 30, 2014
Grand Junction, Co. USA
Not sure if anyone cares ... but as a two time survivor of this, thought it might help someone to decide to do it or not, or, just give them a clue what to expect.

This one was different from the first. With the first one, I could hardly walk with a walker on the day of the surgery, two hours later. The reason was i Had a bad knee and a new surgical knee. Both in pain, but, for different reasons. With this surgery, I walked the halls several times a day, mainly out of boredom. The last one I was gone from home 12 days, this one I was home after two.

I keep trying to compare home+4 days this time and last ... I need to remember to have a common reference. For example, home+4 last time was surgery+16, Home+4 this time is surgery+6.

Okay, what should you expect? Gonna be some pain. Given. Before and after pain are quite different. After surgery there are weird things your body could go through. Last time, my quad on the operative leg went into something called "Protective Muscle Syndrome" (Why can't they just say the quad locked up). My right quad basically was flexed for 8 days. But, it felt really good when it released ... :D. This time I brought Thera Worx (cramp "cure" that works for me), but I had no muscle issues. The more I talk to docs, the more I realize they really don't understand the body, or at least mine. They are clueless about this muscle syndrome. No idea what causes it or why it goes away.

Other things that could happen, I woke with some pretty good soreness in my jaw on the right side. like I'd been hit (I'm betting my doc got tired of my lip ... LOL). I was told with a spinal, you can get some "unforeseen" nerve pain.

Anyway. Where am I at surgery+7. In my home I am walking with a cane that clamps around the forearm and my hand supports my weight on a grip. This goes on the opposite side of the "new" knee. When I walk, the new knee and cane move out together. The the "old new" knee. This forms a triangle base and is pretty stable.

When I go out into public. I used a wider than normal walker. And I use it like a cow catcher or brush guard. Basically, it is there to tell the public to get out of my way ... LOL.

I do therapy, with a therapist twice a week ... and twice a day every day at home. Knee replacement and knee surgery in general, the success is directly proportional to the amount of work you put in. After 11 knee surgeries, including 2 replacements, I finally get this .. LOL. Foot Ball was not good to me.

So what's next? Monday the 11th, I get the 36 staples out (most of these replacements are done with what they call a zipline. From what I understand, it's a zipper looking thing they glue to your skin that wears off in like 2-3 weeks). Since I'm allergic to the adhesives in steri strips, they decided to not take the chance and go old school with staples. No reaction to them.

Two weeks after that, I get X-rays to ensure the spike on the new joint pieces are "cured in place" (they actually pound the joint pieces into the bone with epoxy). After that, another week or so of therapy and at the one year point, have a check with X-rays again ... my doc does annuals from then on.

So what are my expectations? Next week, driving the truck and doing the ceramic paint sealing on the bike. Week after that ... maybe riding short rides. And start installing the accessories on Jessica so by mid March, I'll do my first meander ride on her. Maybe just a mesquite ride .. will be warm there.

All in all, this one seems to be going better. It's nice to be able to count on the solid knee. So in a nutshell .. that's the update.

If anyone is contemplating this or has questions, PM me, we can discuss it or talk on the phone. So I hope that helps someone

Like I mentioned on another thread, no knee issues here as i listened to dad re knee pads.

Dont over do it fuzzy , got time till spring . Heal good and safe. ☎️

So an Update:

Went to my first out patient therapy yesterday. Wheeew ... my new therapist, I'll call him Chris (it's his name ... LOL), is a little old school. His philosophy is to give me an exercise and let me push myself. Probably not what I kneed (pun intended), but, we'll see. After his talking about his plan and goals, we spent some time "evaluating where I was". The VA's "goal" (if it is your first replacement, you won't get a second if you don't meet these minimum goals) for old farts like me is governed by two things. First, walking and stability. Second is range of motion. They want to see minimum of 90* to 0* range of motion, 0* being straight, 90* pretty obvious.

He was fairly impressed with how i was walking and how stable I seemed. Especially for one week from surgery.

As far as range of motion, I was at 94* to 3*. Again, pretty good for a week.

Should be noted 01/29/19 was my 11th knee surgery, so I can rehab in my sleep.

Okay, so he puts me on a step master that is kind of like a recumbent bike. Set it up and told me to start easy to warm up. Well about that time, a retired air force guy comes to the machine next to me ... needless to say .. 30 seconds later we where racing ... LOL ... about 5 minutes later, Chris comes back, we were doing about 105 steps a minute ... Chris says, "What happened to warming up?" I told him I was toasty ... :D.

Next we worked on quad strength ... not to bad ... but work.

Chris told me he wanted to "manipulate me" ... what is he a chiropractor?????

Basically this involved him working the knee to see what ROM he got out of it, while I relaxed. He got me to 100* and 0*.

We had a little cool down period and he old me to go home and get on the ice water machine. Did that and felt good.

This morning ... I can hardly walk ... maybe racing the air force guys wasn't a great idea ... LOL.

Anyhoo ... taking it a tad easier today ... basically working on movement ... gently and some exercises to get the left quad to fire as quick as the right ... it fires, just has to "think about it".

So that's a wrap.

Hey guys ... I changed the name of this thread ... I think it would be great if anyone who has had a replacement or is thinking about it, has a place to put thoughts or concerns.

Guess what I'm saying by changing the name, feel free to hijack this thread, just keep it about knee replacements ...LOL, maybe someone will get some help from it.

Glad to hear you're doing well with recovery.

I've got a TKR on my left knee scheduled March 15th, hope to recover in time to do a road trip I have planned in June.

Glad to hear you're doing well with recovery.

I've got a TKR on my left knee scheduled March 15th, hope to recover in time to do a road trip I have planned in June.

I was riding in three weeks ... iddy biddy around town trips ... at 8 weeks I was trading the trike for a two wheeler ... :D ... do what your therapist says ... you will be fine for June.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png