Amtrak auto train

Peacerider

Aug 24, 2016
Naples, Fl
Was looking to book the auto train for the trip up to DC for Rolling Thunder and it says on Auto Train site they will only take Harly Trikes??? WTH!! Guess I will need to check into this and if that is the case will be ridng to DC and back! Oh boy this goin to be a long fun trip!!!

Was looking to book the auto train for the trip up to DC for Rolling Thunder and it says on Auto Train site they will only take Harly Trikes??? WTH!! Guess I will need to check into this and if that is the case will be ridng to DC and back! Oh boy this goin to be a long fun trip!!!

From Amtrak's site... For small trailers, jet-skis, trikes (three-wheeled vehicles), sidecars, choppers, etc. call 1-877-SKIP-I-95 (1-877-754-7495). Call and ask!

Although I honestly have no idea if what you say is true, BUT I find it had to believe that an auto train, WILL ONLY transport one model vehicle only..........It's like them saying we can only transport FORD vehicles only and not Chevy or Dodge..Someone is pulling your leg!!

Enjoy that Auto Train.............Actually that train ride sounds like the best part of the trip!!

Ronnie

From Amtrak's site... For small trailers, jet-skis, trikes (three-wheeled vehicles), sidecars, choppers, etc. call 1-877-SKIP-I-95 (1-877-754-7495). Call and ask!
from Amtraks website: Special Vehicles

A limited number of spaces are available to carry small enclosed trailers, trailers for transporting boats, jet-skis, trikes (three-wheeled vehicles), sidecars, choppers, etc. Additional fees may apply for these vehicles.

• Only Harley-Davidson three-wheeled vehicles will be accepted.
  • Can-Am motorcycles, Rewaco trikes and Polaris Slingshots will not be accepted.

Spoke to Amtrak and they told me yes, you can bring a Honda trike, I have asked to confirm again as the above is posted on the website for the Autotrain! She gave me the number for Amtrak station in Virgina to confirm PER THIS STATION OFFICE worker the Autotrain will NO LONGER ACCEPT ANY TRIKES!!!

So we ride up and back should be fun!!!!

:(:(:(:(

from Amtraks website: Special Vehicles

A limited number of spaces are available to carry small enclosed trailers, trailers for transporting boats, jet-skis, trikes (three-wheeled vehicles), sidecars, choppers, etc. Additional fees may apply for these vehicles.

• Only Harley-Davidson three-wheeled vehicles will be accepted.
  • Can-Am motorcycles, Rewaco trikes and Polaris Slingshots will not be accepted.

Spoke to Amtrak and they told me yes, you can bring a Honda trike, I have asked to confirm again as the above is posted on the website for the Autotrain! She gave me the number for Amtrak station in Virgina to confirm PER THIS STATION OFFICE worker the Autotrain will NO LONGER ACCEPT ANY TRIKES!!!

So we ride up and back should be fun!!!!

:(:(:(:(

Very interesting and VERY discouraging news .....Why would an auto train, turn away pacific models of vehicles ??????????????

Ronnie

Maybe Trike owners don't bath enough,;) Maybe they take up too much room' Maybe they ran into problems with them...:Shrug:...:laugh:...

I have to agree but a car takes up more room then a trike....O' well, I'm not taking the train so it no skin off my nose, BUT I'm just surprised for the poster that's all, that a company can really discriminate, between different types vehicles... Interesting!!!

Ronnie

I have to agree but a car takes up more room then a trike....O' well, I'm not taking the train so it no skin off my nose, BUT I'm just surprised for the poster that's all, that a company can really discriminate, between different types vehicles... Interesting!!!

Ronnie

The rep from Amtrak I talked to didn't know the reason just guessed becauew they are odd shaped and seized??? Guess they are a pain to deal with ??

So if four or five different model bikes came rolling in and wanted to board that train, Only Harleys would be allowed???????? :(:mad::mad::mad:

Again I'm not disagreeing with you, BUT that's strange for sure!!

Ronnie

So if four or five different model bikes came rolling in and wanted to board that train, Only Harleys would be allowed???????? :(:mad::mad::mad:

Again I'm not disagreeing with you, BUT that's strange for sure!!

Ronnie

Ron's.....Last conversion with, Amtrak they said they are no longer Accepting any kinds of Trikes...So if you pull up on a Tri-Glide you are not boarding...:Shrug:..

You gotta admit ... trikes take up more room than bikes, are harder to "stack" in a tight space. I'll bet that since trikes are becoming way more popular, they are having a hard time "stacking" them and making money doing it. I would think a more logical solution though would be to just charge the same as a car. Then you are being paid for the empty space.

If you are serious about trying to make this happen I wouldn’t take that person’s word as gospel. I would get hold of the head shed of Amtrak and if they understand what a trike is and say its ok to load, I would ask for that statement in writing,,,tell them there has been info given you to the opposite, then with name of the authority go back to the person(s) you have already spoken with, with signed statement in hand. I’m thinking those people have no idea what a trike is or the difference between brands or anything else related to the subject.

Possible reason for the site specifying Harley Trikes is that Harley has the only factory produces 'traditional' configured trike.

Florida to DC I would want to ride. If and when I am able to make it to Rolling Thunder I will probably trailer the trike to a buddies place in Virginia. Unless the laws change I have to drop my carry gun off at his place before going to DC, too.

Possible reason for the site specifying Harley Trikes is that Harley has the only factory produces 'traditional' configured trike.

Florida to DC I would want to ride. If and when I am able to make it to Rolling Thunder I will probably trailer the trike to a buddies place in Virginia. Unless the laws change I have to drop my carry gun off at his place before going to DC, too.

Don....This is the last year of Rolling Thunder to DC...[2019] If you don't do it now its too late...The organizers are talking about just having regional rides in the future...:(....

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa' "thanks" for clarifying this "friendly" debate... It does indeed make better sense, to me now.... :clapping::clapping:

Ronnie

Thats OK Ronnie.....It made me wonder also at first.....But then i should have realized Trikes are different....And different means a little more work for the Union workers at Amtrak so they tend to say when a little more work is involved, Like most unionist ...That ain't my job, Lets just stop taken all of them...:mad:...

I know this is a old thread but recently I tried to get answers about bringing trikes.

I spoke with 3 people. 2 said yes certain trikes but could not tell me which ones or and sizes. The third said no trikes.

We were looking at doing the Auto train the week after Memorial Day, hit Gettysburg then up into the Adirondacks and back down to for a train ride back home but now we're are headed to NOLA, Memphis and who knows on our first long road trip with the trike.

I have taken my bike on the AT a couple times. Worked out great.

Hint get a roomette at least.

I know this is a old thread but recently I tried to get answers about bringing trikes.

I spoke with 3 people. 2 said yes certain trikes but could not tell me which ones or and sizes. The third said no trikes.

We were looking at doing the Auto train the week after Memorial Day, hit Gettysburg then up into the Adirondacks and back down to for a train ride back home but now we're are headed to NOLA, Memphis and who knows on our first long road trip with the trike.

I have taken my bike on the AT a couple times. Worked out great.

Hint get a roomette at least.

Sounds to me like you are taking the trike as a guest and the adventure is sure to be the Auto-Train.:Shrug:

I would contact "All Trikes Matter" and file a discrimination suit. Maybe al sharpton or the revvvverend jackson could talk to them

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png