Ongoing 2019 Tri Glide Build-Out w/ lots of photos, videos and observations

Waterproofing bike covers

Hey Guys; I've been through two bike covers and have used them during all types of weather. Be cautious about how "waterproof" you make them. I like one that is water "resistant" and still breathes. They can trap moisture under them if they are too "tightly" sealed. most of them have tight woven fabric that will repel water but still let moisture escape. As they get older and the fabric begins to thin I've found that a fabric tent spray like 3M works well.

I've ridden through some pretty wet weather, then covered the bike at night only to find that the next morning the bike was still soaked beneath the cover.

Hey Guys; I've been through two bike covers and have used them during all types of weather. Be cautious about how "waterproof" you make them. I like one that is water "resistant" and still breathes. They can trap moisture under them if they are too "tightly" sealed. most of them have tight woven fabric that will repel water but still let moisture escape. As they get older and the fabric begins to thin I've found that a fabric tent spray like 3M works well.

I've ridden through some pretty wet weather, then covered the bike at night only to find that the next morning the bike was still soaked beneath the cover.

I don't think they are talking about full covers ... just a seat cover to keep the sheepskin dry.

But, good point about a full cover ... moister will evaporate and not go away if it can't go up through the cover.

What we've done, with many tents, is a spray on waterproof (silicone based) sealer, and then Coleman brand seam sealer. The seam sealer we use on the inside and outside. We've spent many an hour in tents sealed like this, with downpour's and nary a leak.

Kevin
Ah yes old Scout trick we have done the same as well works great. Fred

Hey Guys; I've been through two bike covers and have used them during all types of weather. Be cautious about how "waterproof" you make them. I like one that is water "resistant" and still breathes. They can trap moisture under them if they are too "tightly" sealed. most of them have tight woven fabric that will repel water but still let moisture escape. As they get older and the fabric begins to thin I've found that a fabric tent spray like 3M works well.I've ridden through some pretty wet weather, then covered the bike at night only to find that the next morning the bike was still soaked beneath the cover.
I don't think they are talking about full covers ... just a seat cover to keep the sheepskin dry.But, good point about a full cover ... moister will evaporate and not go away if it can't go up through the cover.

You are correct!!.... The OasIs Day Cover maybe covers upper quarter. Just light and compact for travel and good for overnights, and those blistering hot long parking stops. As Fuzzy stated, you give good advise for ensuring that full covers can breath.20190407_224957.png

Last Thursday I had an appointment with the Tint Store to install some protective film, then after that I had an appointment with the Dealership to drop it off for them to install my custom made bars.

Since the entire area was covered by a thunderstorm all Thursday, I tried to reschedule. No can do.

Donned my rain gear and rode 50+ miles to the Tint store.

Film%20in%20progress.jpg

After 4.5 hours they had not finished the "3 hour" job, so I had to leave without it being completed...with the arrangement that I would bring it back once the Dealership was done with the bar install.

Rode it (in the heavy rain and lighting) over to the Dealership and dropped it off.

It was supposed to be done on Saturday...but I did not get a call on Saturday or Sunday.

I was planning to call them today, but before I got that done...I got a call from them that they had not done the bar install, and that they could not do it. No one makes the ABS brake line for the front brakes that is long enough.

SO...now I have to find someone that will custom make the line. Had to do that on the '14 also. Hopefully I can find the local shop I used 5 years ago. :)

Kevin

Last Thursday I had an appointment with the Tint Store to install some protective film, then after that I had an appointment with the Dealership to drop it off for them to install my custom made bars.

Since the entire area was covered by a thunderstorm all Thursday, I tried to reschedule. No can do.

Donned my rain gear and rode 50+ miles to the Tint store.

Film%20in%20progress.jpg

After 4.5 hours they had not finished the "3 hour" job, so I had to leave without it being completed...with the arrangement that I would bring it back once the Dealership was done with the bar install.

Rode it (in the heavy rain and lighting) over to the Dealership and dropped it off.

It was supposed to be done on Saturday...but I did not get a call on Saturday or Sunday.

I was planning to call them today, but before I got that done...I got a call from them that they had not done the bar install, and that they could not do it. No one makes the ABS brake line for the front brakes that is long enough.

SO...now I have to find someone that will custom make the line. Had to do that on the '14 also. Hopefully I can find the local shop I used 5 years ago. :)

Kevin

You have my kind of luck when it comes to planning things and then they don't work out. What kind of film are you having installed? I used the Xpel and am happy with it. However, if I ever have any applied again, I will be there when they wash it before installing the film. I had to ride mine over to his shop so it picked up a few small bug hits.

The guy that did mine was busy and he didn't do a "excellent" job of getting all the "small" bug pieces off. You still have to look close to see them but there are a few places he missed them and I didn't check that close when I picked it up. But, it does a good job of protecting the surfaces. Good luck with your install of your new bars. As the old saying goes, "something always pops up" to aggravate you.

Its always amazing to me how good these film installers are.The only thing that bothers me is when they cut the excess film off. I asked the last guy who did my bike what happens to the clear coat. His reply was the clear coat can always be wet sanded out if you remove the film and you see the cut lines in the paint. I guess that is why pre cut kits are available.

Just talked to the shop that did the brake line for me last time.* They said come on, they'll get it done again.

I'll be going up the the Dealership to get the line, then over to the brake line shop, then back to the Dealership...hopefully this week.

Kevin

You have my kind of luck when it comes to planning things and then they don't work out. What kind of film are you having installed? I used the Xpel and am happy with it. However, if I ever have any applied again, I will be there when they wash it before installing the film. I had to ride mine over to his shop so it picked up a few small bug hits.

The guy that did mine was busy and he didn't do a "excellent" job of getting all the "small" bug pieces off. You still have to look close to see them but there are a few places he missed them and I didn't check that close when I picked it up. But, it does a good job of protecting the surfaces. Good luck with your install of your new bars. As the old saying goes, "something always pops up" to aggravate you.

Not sure what film brand it is. It is thinner and clearer than the 3M stuff we've used in the past.

For all the waiting I've done thus far, I will be checking it closely before signing off on it. If he has to redo some of it, it will be worth waiting a bit more.

Its always amazing to me how good these film installers are.The only thing that bothers me is when they cut the excess film off. I asked the last guy who did my bike what happens to the clear coat. His reply was the clear coat can always be wet sanded out if you remove the film and you see the cut lines in the paint. I guess that is why pre cut kits are available.

In the photo I posted you can see a strip of "tape" that has 3 lines in it. That is where the cut is made in the film, and then the strip gets peeled off, so the blade never hits the clear, or in my case, the ceramic coating. That's the theory.

Kevin

Xpel

That is one big thing I like about Xpel dealers. They use a computer program that has a large database of vehicles and motorcycles in it. They find your model and a machine they have cuts all of the pieces to the exact size for each part of your bike. I didn't have the tank or the tour pak done so I don't know exactly how they handle curves or round objects. I do know that they cut pieces for my lowers on the machine. Also the operator can make changes. He made the long pieces going from the bottom of the fender in front all the way back to taillight an inch wider than the pattern. They actually go over part of the rounded area.

That is one big thing I like about Xpel dealers. They use a computer program that has a large database of vehicles and motorcycles in it. They find your model and a machine they have cuts all of the pieces to the exact size for each part of your bike. I didn't have the tank or the tour pak done so I don't know exactly how they handle curves or round objects. I do know that they cut pieces for my lowers on the machine. Also the operator can make changes. He made the long pieces going from the bottom of the fender in front all the way back to taillight an inch wider than the pattern. They actually go over part of the rounded area.

That's very cool!

Kevin

T. J. at the shop doing your paint protection film (and my fenders) showed me the computer program with all the templates. But I don't think they have one for the TGs so it is 'custom.' All in all I think he does a great job and at a very reasonable price seeing how much labor and technique is involved.

Got a question. I put the HD brand film on my trike. It doesn't completly cover the bottom front portion of the rear fenders. Can you put film over the film already there? I would like to put a 8-12" piece on the bottom to cover the whole side to side portion. Or would I have to remove the first layer? Thanks.

Got a question. I put the HD brand film on my trike. It doesn't completly cover the bottom front portion of the rear fenders. Can you put film over the film already there? I would like to put a 8-12" piece on the bottom to cover the whole side to side portion. Or would I have to remove the first layer? Thanks.

I will ask the guy that did my fenders.

Confirming what Arnie posted - my guy said yes you could double the film. But it will leave a visible line where it goes over the edge of the existing film. May not be too noticeable however.

So today I went back to the installer who recently did PPF on my trike fenders. I had the H-D film which I installed myself shortly after I got my 2018 TG but as others have said it isn't wide enough to cover the entire exposed front surface of the fender. I imagine this is because getting the film wider involves stretching it and getting it over where the fender starts to curve. That might be a bit of a stretch (pun intended) for H-D techs and us lay folks to do.

Today I had him cover the top of my front fender which I didn't have time to wait for on my previous visit. I queried him about the film he uses and it is Suntek. Here is a link to their website: https://www.suntekfilms.com/paintprotection/ppf-c.aspx

The film is 6 mil thick.

Out of curiosity I 'googled' to compare the various films. Here is what I found: https://exclusivedetail.com/best-paint-protection-film/

From what I read I don't think there is actually much difference between the major brands.

The installer and his co-workers were really busy today . . . and that's good as I want to deal with a successful company that will be around. Anyway I spied an exotic looking sports car inside one of the bays. I asked and he told me it is a new McClaren 570GT - about $200k. He was wrapping the entire car including yes the windshield as they make a special film just for that. Cost - $5,000. Guess is you can spring for a car like that you can spring for the PPF.

Got the line over to the JJ's Performance yesterday. It needs to be 16" longer.

This is it before being extended.

Brakeline.jpg

Tomorrow I will be picking it up after it is lengthened and taking it over to the Dealership.

Will grab some pics while I'm there. Then, hopefully next week I'll have it back are riding it. :)

Kevin

Got the line over to the JJ's Performance yesterday. It needs to be 16" longer.

This is it before being extended.

Brakeline.jpg

Tomorrow I will be picking it up after it is lengthened and taking it over to the Dealership.

Will grab some pics while I'm there. Then, hopefully next week I'll have it back are riding it. :)

Kevin

I know I used to know this ... but what's the difference between an ABS line and a non ABS?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png