Harley Davidson has a New Gear Oil. (short video)

HMMMMMM, guess HD finally has seen the light:p

I agree, but I went to the HD website & at $19.99 a quart, they can keep it. I fully expected it to be priced with Syn.3.

My dealer sell Redline for that price. I have 2 quarts of Formula + to use, but I have been very happy with my Lucas. I like to experiment. I'm with John, having something in there is half the battle.

I knew you would be happy with an oil thread Jack. ;)

I agree, but I went to the HD website & at $19.99 a quart, they can keep it. I fully expected it to be priced with Syn.3.

My dealer sell Redline for that price. I have 2 quarts of Formula + to use, but I have been very happy with my Lucas. I like to experiment. I'm with John, having something in there is half the battle.

I knew you would be happy with an oil thread Jack. ;)

This makes me wonder if Harley is looking for an easy way out of the oil migration problem?

I live for oil related threads:p

Reactions: MDO
Jap bikes share the motor oil with the trans. Older British cars use motor oil in the transmission, my 91 FLH uses gear oil with a gear supplement in the trans , the man is right , GEARS need GEAR OIL . Good old stinky gear oil :D

It's for both, just like Formula +.

Interesting change from the Formula plus I dunno about a heavier lube like this for a wet clutch HMMMMMMMMM

Seems to me this was a problem with fluid migration from the tranny into the primary causing clutches to slip and or not dis engage properly

I guess time will tell

I've bee thinking ... scary huh?

I like John Maxwell ... he's funny, informative and somewhat neutral in his opinions. I watched this video about oil changes and thought he did a really good job in getting people to understand about getting the bike to operating temp before draining. etc. At first, I bought into his logic about using "stuff from the shelf" that is designed for your bike. Especially when he got into if you take a trip, and need oil, dealers are all over, so, you don't have to search the web or whatever to find the oil you used.

Okay ... sound logic, but, wouldn't it be just as sound to use a product found at Wally World? I've been to a lot of Wally Worlds, most carry a really good selection of oils and such. I'm not advocating for any particular product. I have always used the "dealer's" offerings until my last Harley where I went to redline. The service manager at my dealer recommended it and he carried it. Again, not sure it actually made a difference, but, it felt like it did.

So what am I saying. Simply this. Technology is screaming along and it seems to me that dealers (all dealers) Honda included are reluctant to move to these new products. I'm guessing they don't want to do the testing required to "approve" these products. Although, every owners manual gives the government minimum requirement specs of fluids you can use and not void the warrantee. So just the fact that "all of a sudden" HD has a new gear oil that mimics many of the products that have been out there already is telling. If I was still riding a Harley, I would probably try it. There are lots of dealers out there so availability is pretty good, it's recommended by the dealer.

My dear departed Dad would say, I've taken the long way around the block to make my point. And he'd be right. But here's the point. If your choice meets the dealers requirements in the owners manual, is readily available in the areas you ride in, and makes the "seat of your pants" feel ... good, I say go for it. If you like a product the is a little tough to find, but, you hardly ever go out of your area, then that is not a problem.

I do see this new offering from HD as kind of an acknowledgement that these "new" products will help their bikes and trikes.

Fuzzy , my Mercedes oil requirements in the owners manual is a page long with all this siencetific requirements. The dealer uses Mobil 1 in gasoline and diesel . As long as the recommended type (dino or syn) and the recommended vis is used, your golden.

Dont worry — Be Happy :D

Fuzzy , my Mercedes oil requirements in the owners manual is a page long with all this siencetific requirements. The dealer uses Mobil 1 in gasoline and diesel . As long as the recommended type (dino or syn) and the recommended vis is used, your golden.

Dont worry — Be Happy :D

Wow ... all my babbling was actually understood ... LOL ... that's what happens when I get to thinking. :D

I don't understand how possibly needing to add some oil when on a road trip applies to trannys and primaries. Motor oil sure but I've never ever added (or needed to add) oil to either the tranny or primary. There is no way either can consume oil so unless you have a leak I don't see that as a valid reason to use the new H-D gear oil.

Thankfully I've not had any oil migration but just on the off chance that I should I think using the same lube in both is probably a good idea. Think I'll stick with the Formula +. I've run that for years and never had any problem whatsoever.

I know that more & more dealers are carrying fluids, along with the HD products. I don't know how many people have stated that when they talked to their service tech about tranny/shifting problems, they are told to try Redline & 75% of the dealers I have been to are starting to carry it, or Lucas or others.

I like to play & I'm gonna try Formula +, but if the shifting changes at all from what I have had the last 4,000 miles, it's coming out and my Lucas is going back in. :cool: I am currently running Lucas 20w-50 High Performance Full Synthetic in all 3 holes & it tested great in my Blackstone analysis, coupled with a Mobil 1 extended performance oil filter. It also, have not used a drop since installed.

In this modern era, I am starting to think if it's what's called for & at the proper level, and changed when it should be, all will be OK.:)

I know that more & more dealers are carrying fluids, along with the HD products. I don't know how many people have stated that when the talked to their service tech about tranny/shifting problems, they are told to try Redline & 75% of the dealers I have been to are starting to carry it, or Lucas or others.

I like to play & I'm gonna try Formula +, but if the shifting changes at all from what I have had the last 4,000 miles, it's coming out and my Lucas is going back in. :cool: I am currently running Lucas 20w-50 High Performance Full Synthetic in all 3 holes & it tested great in my Blackstone analysis, coupled with a Mobil 1 extended performance oil filter. I also, have not burned a drop since installed.

In this modern era, I am starting to think if it's what's called for & at the proper level, and changed when it should be, all will be OK.:)

Bingo. If the lubricant(s) meet the well defined industry standards then there should be no appreciable difference in performance. After that it's more a matter of opinion and preference based on experience and recommendations from trusted sources. Don't know why (or how) the moco 'tests' these lubricants to be acceptable in their components. It should be pretty well cut and dry - if they meet the industry specs they are acceptable - period, end of story.

This is looking like an oil thread

Good job Michael:clapping:

Harley has always been tight lipped about their lube testing

They used to test beat bikes @ Talladega speedway and they also had heat sheds in Arizona when they were testing the VRod bikes

This is looking like an oil thread

Good job Michael:clapping:

Harley has always been tight lipped about their lube testing

They used to test beat bikes @ Talladega speedway and they also had heat sheds in Arizona when they were testing the VRod bikes

I can tell you ... when I put red line in ... there was significant improvement in shifting, noise level and the dent pin my wallet, compared to Syn 3 ... :AGGHH:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png