left front engine mount snubber help.

MDF48

250+ Posts
Feb 1, 2016
Pelham AL USA
I try to check all of the important bolts, nuts etc on my trike at least every couple of months or so. Those of you that have checked the tightness and torque on the left front rubber, do you go to the trouble of removing the floor board mounts etc to get a clear shot to the allen bolt? I have a good size 3/8 allen wrench that will work if I cut about 1/4 inch or so off the short end. Of course I can't check torque with this but I think this would work just for routine checking. All of my other motor mount bolts I can get to with little trouble. Of course the two for the top mount are a little difficult, but doable. As you know, you can't get a socket wrench allen in the space that is provided for the left snubber. Any other ideas?

I try to check all of the important bolts, nuts etc on my trike at least every couple of months or so. Those of you that have checked the tightness and torque on the left front rubber, do you go to the trouble of removing the floor board mounts etc to get a clear shot to the allen bolt? I have a good size 3/8 allen wrench that will work if I cut about 1/4 inch or so off the short end. Of course I can't check torque with this but I think this would work just for routine checking. All of my other motor mount bolts I can get to with little trouble. Of course the two for the top mount are a little difficult, but doable. As you know, you can't get a socket wrench allen in the space that is provided for the left snubber. Any other ideas?

One excellent addition to my toolkit https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-7-Piece-3-8-in-Drive-Hex-Bit-Standard-SAE-Driver-Socket-Set/3387788 $15.00

I have a good set of those. The problem is you can't get it into the end of the bolt on the left side without taking everything off. It is not enough room. The space is only about 1 to 1 1/2 inches. Not enough room for a ratchet head and the socket.

Can you pull the allen bit out of the socket then use a ratchet wrench to slip on it to check.Or cut a allen wrench off to use with a ratchet box end ?

Thanks.

FuzzyWasHe, yes I agree with you. I am just after a way to do routine checks and I think this will work fine.

Mykneesbehurtin, my 3/8 inch socket allen is pressed in and I don't really want to try to beat it out and then try to get it back in. That is a good idea though and I had thought about doing that, and it would be short enough to work. My 3/8 inch allen wrench is pretty heavy duty. It is 7 inches long and I could get plenty of leverage on it to check for tightness.

I think I will just cut this allen off enough to get it to work. Thanks for the help.

FuzzyWasHe, yes I agree with you. I am just after a way to do routine checks and I think this will work fine.

Mykneesbehurtin, my 3/8 inch socket allen is pressed in and I don't really want to try to beat it out and then try to get it back in. That is a good idea though and I had thought about doing that, and it would be short enough to work. My 3/8 inch allen wrench is pretty heavy duty. It is 7 inches long and I could get plenty of leverage on it to check for tightness.

I think I will just cut this allen off enough to get it to work. Thanks for the help.

I have purchased single allen wrenches and cut what I need off them to use with a ratcheting combo wrench as recommended by Knees ... I did that to be able to tighten the passenger mount when I had the cvo adjustable mounts and the Kuryakyn passenger high way pegs. It was a pain to take the highway pegs off just to ensure they hadn't loosened. I used a torque wrench too install them, just not for the routine checks." If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and been seen in the company of fellow ducks, it's tight."

YEP!

I have purchased single allen wrenches and cut what I need off them to use with a ratcheting combo wrench as recommended by Knees ... I did that to be able to tighten the passenger mount when I had the cvo adjustable mounts and the Kuryakyn passenger high way pegs. It was a pain to take the highway pegs off just to ensure they hadn't loosened. I used a torque wrench too install them, just not for the routine checks." If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and been seen in the company of fellow ducks, it's tight."

Yes, I have several shortened allen wrenches in my tool box also. I try to always use a torque wrench when I install stuff and when I find something loose. I say this just to add this. I bet you HD dealers techs don't check torque on half of the items used in the "whatever mileage" checkups. Some of these bolts and nuts are just impossible to get to without taking stuff off. Maybe they have some high dollar very thin headed torque wrench or use crow feet etc. Very time consuming.

I realize that, but that doesn't mean they take the time to use them on routine scheduled maintenance checkups. I guess I am just a little "skeptic". YMMV.

Nah, I believe you are right

I know techs that take short cuts

I had some working under my supervision, they did not last long;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png