2002 K1200 / Hannigan

Douglas44

100+ Posts
Apr 2, 2019
Lewisville
An acquaintance has a K12 / Hannigan that he inherited from granddad.

It's been setting for about 10 years, grand dad bought it on a whim and rode it sparingly, it is reported to have very low miles.

I doubt from hearing about the machine that it was put away properly and most likely had the gas in it from that day.

My friend says he has attempted to get it running , motor spins freely but does not fire up.

He say's he wants to sell it , but really has no idea about the true value.

Any advice I can pass along to him might be helpful , tips on getting it running also would be a big help.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Doug

OOp's

My bad , I thought he said it was a Layman kit, but it's a Hannigan .

Bike only has 18k miles .

Is it worth the trouble to restore it to running condition ??

The K 1200 LT was a powerful, smooth incredible highway machine, always thought they would make a great trike ... you might have a mechanic give you an estimate to "restore" it to rideable ... new tires, maybe lots of seals, fluids, etc.

I'm wondering about the fuel injection and the ABS system.

Don't know very much about either system , but do remember BMW had some problems with the ABS and it was very expensive to repair or replace.

I never had any issues with mine. The big fear with them was the final drive assembly (4% failure) mine never had any issues ... except it didn't go thump thump thump ... :D

I changed your thread title to reflect the Hannigan.

2002 K1200 Hannigan

It would be an easier sell if it was in running condition but BMW repair parts are not cheap. Most BMW shops do not like to touch the conversions. I've owned my 2006 K1200LT since new with a Hannigan conversion performed in 2012 and it has been a flawless interstate touring machine. But I've also heard several people say they could be a hard sell.

Not because it's a BMW/Hannigan but some trikes, generally speaking. I know of a gentleman on another site that's been trying to sell his 2005 KLT trike for over 2 years and is actually thinking about donating it. I plan to keep mine until I can no longer get out of bed in the morning. Maybe look at these links to get an idea: Here or This

Good luck with it……

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png