Rear Brakes squealing Loudly

frankj

90+ Posts
Reaction score
Had my Roadsmith kit installed on my Valkyrie, end of July last year, the brakes started to squeal intermittently and my mechanic tried some spray and it helped a little, but never resolved the problem, in fact they are now louder than ever, my wife said she could hear them when she was in her car, two cars back and the windows up, and they squeal every time I use the brakes.

My mechanic suggested to replace the pads and he would also resurface the rotors. Do you think this will resolve the problem?

I think I read here of people using a particular brand pad that seemed to work, any brand you can recommend if you had the issue I have?

Frank

Brake squeal is a harmonic, it can be caused by pad vibration and guide pin corrosion

Clean and lube pad pins, and clean ALL mating surfaces

If you scuff your rotors with emery cloth be sure to rinse the rotors off with soapy water

Same holds true for scuffing the pads

Do NOT use brake clean, this can transfer oils and embedded materials

Had my Roadsmith kit installed on my Valkyrie, end of July last year, the brakes started to squeal intermittently and my mechanic tried some spray and it helped a little, but never resolved the problem, in fact they are now louder than ever, my wife said she could hear them when she was in her car, two cars back and the windows up, and they squeal every time I use the brakes.

My mechanic suggested to replace the pads and he would also resurface the rotors. Do you think this will resolve the problem?

I think I read here of people using a particular brand pad that seemed to work, any brand you can recommend if you had the issue I have?

Frank

By chance have you called R/S? You should still be under warranty. Have you pulled the pads to see what they and the rotors look like?

Roadsmith Warranty, What Warranty!??!

By chance have you called R/S? You should still be under warranty. Have you pulled the pads to see what they and the rotors look like?

I did take papa Zook's advice and called them left a message for Michael, got a voice mail from Michael and he said rotors and brake pads are NOT covered under warranty! I did read the factory warranty in the owner's manual and there are no exclusions listed in their warranty.

My theory is if your not going to cover things in your warranty, LIST THEM!

I have exactly 773 miles on my Valkyrie Trike since the conversion and there was intermittent squealing shortly after getting it and has gotten progressively worse. I ordered some new EBC brake pads and my mechanic will inspect the rotors, he's good and I'm sure he'll get it straightened out.

Frank

I did take papa Zook's advice and called them left a message for Michael, got a voice mail from Michael and he said rotors and brake pads are NOT covered under warranty! I did read the factory warranty in the owner's manual and there are no exclusions listed in their warranty.

My theory is if your not going to cover things in your warranty, LIST THEM!

I have exactly 773 miles on my Valkyrie Trike since the conversion and there was intermittent squealing shortly after getting it and has gotten progressively worse. I ordered some new EBC brake pads and my mechanic will inspect the rotors, he's good and I'm sure he'll get it straightened out.

Frank, I'm sure you have spoken to your trike builder about this problem, what did they have to say about it?

And I'm looking forward to see the new paint protector that you have added to the trike since I last spoke to you..

Meet at Scotties, one of these days for lunch!!! :)

Ronnie

Roadsmith Warranty? What Warranty???!

Frank, I'm sure you have spoken to your trike builder about this problem, what did they have to say about it?

And I'm looking forward to see the new paint protector that you have added to the trike since I last spoke to you..

Meet at Scotties, one of these days for lunch!!! :)

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie, welcome back, the installer is in NC, I'm in Western Mass, but Roadsmith states for customers outside a 125 mile radius repairs can be made at a local repair facility of my choice. I contacted Roadsmith to see what they said and how to proceed, but that ended quick with "we don't cover that"

Hi Ronnie, welcome back, the installer is in NC, I'm in Western Mass, but Roadsmith states for customers outside a 125 mile radius repairs can be made at a local repair facility of my choice. I contacted Roadsmith to see what they said and how to proceed, but that ended quick with "we don't cover that"

Sorry to hear "that" !!

Ronnie

Looking forward to seeing your new paint job very soon..........:D

Frank,

I can tell you about a Roadsmith dealer/installer where NOT TO BRING IT. THIS DEALER WILL RIP YOU OFF......He just got me for $90.00 for just asking a question about his install..

and if this dealer is reading this post I highly suggest that you send me back my money, cause I will bad mouth your dealership till the day I sell my Goldwing too every one that ask's

Ronnie

To the dealer your lucky that I don't just plaster your name and dealership all over the internet, on how you rip off your customers.... ​Just send me back my money and we'll be cool.........

Edit: Frank get in touch with me, and I'll tell you where "NOT TO BRING" your bike for repairs......This dealership will rip you off big time...

Too the ROADSMITH COMPANY ITSELF: It's not R/S that I'm pissed about it's the installing dealer...bad!bad! bad! This dealership will bring you down!!! Sorry!

Is there any chance this is caused by the humidity in the air?

My car has the same issue this year.

The brakes are fine. He would be glad to replace them if I want LOL

We have had an over abundance of rain this year in Kansas.

My Mechanic said that it was just due to the car sitting with all

the humidity.

YMMV

Frank

Apples to Oranges.....:Shrug:.....But that was a common problem on the early Spyder's, I would spray the brakes on my Spyder with CRC De-Squeak, Its a little messy but it worked....

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png