Motor Trike not reputable IMO

Highly unlikely the sprockets are anything other than steel .

Look carefully at both sprockets , look for any teeth that have a sharp edge or a sign of more wear on one side than the other. Check the spacing on the teeth and the depth of the teeth at their lowest point.

I suspect the sprockets are not aligned properly. This will cause very rapid wear of both the chain and the sprockets. A clear sign is a hook at the top of the teeth. Is the chain binding at it's loosest point or at it's tightest point ?

Normally at the loosest point on a two wheeled bike the chain flex is about 1/2 to maybe 3/4 inch.

Modern chains are sealed units that have internal lubrication at each link. Cleaning them really only removes the outer crud, check with the chain manufacturer about what type of solvents they recommend.

How best to align the sprockets should be addressed by the trike maker/installer.

I know how to do it on a motorcycle , but not on a trike ,Yet.

Chains do stretch .....So they do need routine adjustments....With my ATC's ATV's when i would run out of adjustments.....[Now i wouldn't do this with a street bike.]..But i would knock a link out of the chain to shorten it...

My Triumps had steel transmission sprockets and aluminum larger rear sprockets, My Norton was steel at each end. Used roller chain and often pulled chain off with old one to leave in place to pull good one back on weith, thourough cleaning in kerosene, then I'd hang it by a wire, slather Marfak grease on it and heat with a propane torch just enough to see Marfak drawn into rollers & links at pins … let cool and reinstall and adjust.

Later years, when it got harder to find Marfak, I used spray on chain wax which was applied to warm chain. Was easier to apply on bike after warm up ride, but still pulled chain off for good cleaning.

Now, they use O-ring chains that are fatter and can chew into trans housing in places, but there is no cleaning, just use lube meant for O-ring chain I'm told.

Thank you all for your comments, I will definitely check old parts to check wear and or breakage.

Please keep us informed as you progress through this project. I see from your home page (( or what ever it's called) that you are in Ashville, NC . I'm a couple hours east of you in Lewisville, NC. maybe we can arrange to meet up and I could look at your machine. Sounds interesting , what ever the problem is.

Get in touch

Please keep us informed as you progress through this project. I see from your home page (( or what ever it's called) that you are in Ashville, NC . I'm a couple hours east of you in Lewisville, NC. maybe we can arrange to meet up and I could look at your machine. Sounds interesting , what ever the problem is.

Douglas, Donna and I will be out your way tomorrow 4/24/19; if you want to meet up and look at my GT3 and/or old parts give me a call at H- 828-367-2142 or cell 828-275-0215. Thanks, Ron

It turns out when all is said and done, the combination of cleaning with kerosene and lubing with teflon lube, was the worst thing I could have done. It caused premature wear of chain, which caused premature wear of front sprocket. THIS WAS MY FAULT NOT MOTOR TRIKE. Some (so CALLED experts on YouTube), advised this was a good thing to do, in MY case. It was not. I learned a very valuable (and expensive) lesson.

Motor Trike IS reputable

It turns out when all is said and done, the combination of cleaning with kerosene and lubing with teflon lube, was the worst thing I could have done. It caused premature wear of chain, which caused premature wear of front sprocket. THIS WAS MY FAULT NOT MOTOR TRIKE. Some (so CALLED experts on YouTube), advised this was a good thing to do, in MY case. It was not. I learned a very valuable (and expensive) lesson.

Good to know that there is a reason other than "normal wear and tear" ... sorry you learned the hard way ... most lessons, unfortunately, are hard learned.

Glad to hear you were able to find the reason for the failure. We've all been there and done that at some point. Ride safe and more miles of smiles!

Robert

Imagine that, FAKE EXPERTS on the internet !!!! I am perplexed !!:eek:mg:

Motor Trike Is Vindicated!

Thanks for providing the updated details.ThumbUp

Thanks for setting the record straight

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png