Tri Glide vs Conversion vs GL

tbird71

Reaction score
Lake Placid, FL (winter) Ramsey, IL (summer)
This has probably been discussed here before, just

wondering why TG owners prefer the factory trike

vs a conversion vs a goldwing.

Myself, I have owned a goldwing with the IRS but the

front end was too light and personally didnt ride all

that good. It was a GL15 I never rode a GL18 so cant say on that one

I looked into conversions for roughly 14-15K which would put me squarely in

the Tri Glide cost, my personal reasoning was the TG, while having a solid axle,

has a pretty good ride to it IMO, altho personally I did not care for the 103, or should I say

the 103 that was in mine. Too much like work with no roll on power at all on the one I had.

The 114 M8 motor solves that problem, for me anyway. Along with new forks, brakes, shocks, and traction control and this TG is where it needs to be (IMO)

Also, the TG has a well established market so you pretty well know what the value will be give or take. With others, that would probably be harder to determine?

I got lucky on a trade, thankfully, and I know everyone cannot own a 19, so that aside what

are your thoughts on why you went with a factory TG vs other choices?

I'm guessing the big reason people like the Tri Glide is that is a factory trike and can be insured by anyone and the warrantee is only through one company. Just a guess.

Reactions: MDO
Yea, some like selecting an all-in-one or MRE , while others prefer the "Have It Your Way", or a la carte menu selections. Both can be equally satisfying given ones particular preferences and wallet size.:D :laugh:

Tri vs conversion...... almost same amount of $$ But, no warranty & almost no network for conversion help. HD has one LARGE network & ALL will work on your Tri..I ended up with a New Tri plus the ESP for total of 7 yrs + Tire & wheel coverage for same $$ it would have cost to convert my 15 Ultra & end up with no warranty.

Tri vs conversion...... almost same amount of $$ But, no warranty & almost no network for conversion help. HD has one LARGE network & ALL will work on your Tri..I ended up with a New Tri plus the ESP for total of 7 yrs + Tire & wheel coverage for same $$ it would have cost to convert my 15 Ultra & end up with no warranty.

Bingo Bill, pretty much the same scenario here, in our 70's when we purchased.

New Touring Bike 23-25K conversion kit another 10K

Now to make it like a Tri Glide figure another 5K or so for Steering,handbars and forks.

And you void the factory warranty on the Touring bike once converted.

There were no Factory Trikes back when I did mine.

So if you get a factory trike its the way to go.:D

In 2016 i was looking at conversion kits for my 12 Road Glide $15k with reverse and trees the kit had a warranty on it but no motor or trans warranty.That is the reason i went with a Tri Glide.A friend of mine has a Goldwing trike and i just hated the footpeg position,having bad knees i coudn't ride it without making my knees ache so it was out.

Bill you fairly stated what most feel when buying a trike. Also for some simply put they wanted Harley Davidson there have been moments it has made me wonder. I still like my Harley. There are many Harley's but Old Shiney is my Harley I waited a long time.

I wanted a factory built Harley not a Stratoliner that would put me to sleep in about 10 miles. :D

Gary, I'm seeing a lot more Tri Glides down here in FL than in years past. I think everyone is starting to feel the same way. When you consider the warranty coverage, and a good network, plus resale value and an established market on HDs...all considered, when you're laying out that much of an investment the Harley just makes more sense IMO. And yes you DO stay awake on one...and get the Harley Davidson feeling you cannot get on any other trike.

Reactions: ljk

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png