Kuryakyn Ext Brake Pad PROBLEM!

MDF48

250+ Posts
Feb 1, 2016
Pelham AL USA
Well I wasted a half a day TRYING to install the new PN 9672 extended brake pedal. Long story short the pedal will not slide all the way on the shaft. Before anyone ask it is not because I don't have it positioned correctly to slide on. I did have to loosen the crash bar bolts to get enough forward movement to clear the lower though.

This is the problem! The pedal slides on the shaft fine until it gets about a half inch from seating, then it gets noticeably tighter. Yes, I greased the bushings and the shaft with a little good grease before sliding it on. Also, the two prongs on the lever are not hitting anything that stops it from going on. The shaft was in good shape with no rust and actually still had a little grease on it.

The diameter of the shaft runs from .749-.751 according to my dial micrometer. However, one of the bushings, the one to the outside, measures .740. The inside one, the one that slides on first, is .750. That would account for it being tight the last half inch or so.

I decided to go ahead and tighten it up with the end nut and see if it would loosen up. Long story short, it pulled up and I like not to ever got it back off, and the brake light stayed on. It would not release enough to "pull back" and turn the brake light off.

So I called Amazon and got a return label but they can't get me another one until Wednesday...even with prime. Too late in the day and it wouldn't ship until tomorrow...then 2 days makes it Wednesday afternoon around 3-4 PM for me. I am going to see if I can find one locally, but I doubt it.

If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. BTW, the old original slides on with no problem. But I don't want to put it back together until I get a new one.

So, has anybody else had this problem? BTW, I forgot to mention the box it came in looked like it had been opened and the pedal wan't secured to the bottom of the box. I bet this was a returned item. I am going to write "DEFECTIVE>>DO NOT RESTOCK" all over the box. Hopefully nobody will have it sent to them.

So, has anybody else had this problem? BTW, I forgot to mention the box it came in looked like it had been opened and the pedal wan't secured to the bottom of the box. I bet this was a returned item. I am going to write "DEFECTIVE>>DO NOT RESTOCK" all over the box. Hopefully nobody will have it sent to them.

I just yesterday installed one of those on my Tri. The box it came in looked open as well and it wasn't secured. Mine came directly from Kuryakyn. I looked it over and it looked okay .. just had to remove the right floorboard, rear master cylinder and the retaining nut. My shaft did have some corrosion on it and no grease. after I cleaned it up it slid right on with marine grade silicon grease.

It could be the wrong bushing installed on the pedal or the wrong pedal. Good luck.

Reactions: MDO
I know it's a Freewheeler, but mine installed like Fuzzys & I didn't have to slide a bushing on, the brass bushing was already installed in the new pedal.

It's 1 of my favorite ergonomic changes. I have said before, I don't know how anyone could like the stock pedal location.

I know it's a Freewheeler, but mine installed like Fuzzys & I didn't have to slide a bushing on, the brass bushing was already installed in the new pedal.

It's 1 of my favorite ergonomic changes. I have said before, I don't know how anyone could like the stock pedal location.

MDO, the two brass bushings were already pressed in. It is not one long bushing. One is pressed in from each end from the factory. This leaves a little open space for the grease zirk in the middle. However the one on the outside end was a little under sized.

I resolved the problem this morning by carefully sanding the under sized bushing with light emery cloth around my finger and evenly sanding. It didn't take much and now both ends slide on evenly with no problem.

Problem Solved.

I resolved the problem this morning by carefully sanding the under sized bushing with light emery cloth around my finger and evenly sanding. It didn't take much and now both ends slide on evenly with no problem. Wasted a lot of time yesterday, but this is better than having to send it back and waiting 3 days for a replacement.:)

I resolved the problem this morning by carefully sanding the under sized bushing with light emery cloth around my finger and evenly sanding. It didn't take much and now both ends slide on evenly with no problem. Wasted a lot of time yesterday, but this is better than having to send it back and waiting 3 days for a replacement.:)

Glad to here you got it.

You will like the new positioning of the pedal.

Question?

Those of you that installed this item, did you leave off both of the o rings. The Keryaykn instructions just say to remove the outside one and doesn't mention putting it back on with the new pedal. Doesn't say anything about the back one. There is no "groove" on the kuryakyn pedal, so I assume that means NO o rings to be used?

For what it's worth, the new extended brake pedal I just got is about the fourth one I've put on different bikes/trikes and every single one of the boxes looks like it's been opened and the pedal is just laying inside and not tied up like it's supposed to be. Not sure why this is, but luckily never any problems with getting them installed.

Glad you got things figured out.

For what it's worth, the new extended brake pedal I just got is about the fourth one I've put on different bikes/trikes and every single one of the boxes looks like it's been opened and the pedal is just laying inside and not tied up like it's supposed to be. Not sure why this is, but luckily never any problems with getting them installed.

I'm guessing they are too heavy for the cheesy ties.

All OK.

Well it all worked out in the end. I knew it looked like the right PN and I didn't want to wait for a replacement if I could avoid it. After measuring everything 3 times it was apparent that the the round part had a manufacturing defect or the bushings did.

It became obvious it was the outside bushing. It appeared it was all in the first 1/2 inch or so of the bushing. It might have got compressed out a little when it was pressed in. Little bit of clean up with the emery cloth did it and it just slid right on. Yes, I think it is just bad packaging by Kuryaykn and the shippers that causes them too come loose.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png