• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Front Forks Stiff

Reaction score
I just bought an ’03 GL1800 with a Champion kit. The front suspension feels like it is welded solid. Every little imperfection in the road comes right up the handlebars. When I stand on the pegs and “pounce” or “lunge” on the handlebars to try to bake the front-end bounce, there is not one bit of give to the forks. However, if the trike is slowly rolling forward and I slam the front brake, the front-end dives like expected.

Being new to the trike world, is this normal? I’ve always heard that riding a Goldwing is like riding a couch, but not in this case. What weight oil should be in the front forks? I’m tempted to change it out for a lighter oil.

Welcome to the Gang from Western Colorado.

Guessing the stiffness is due to a rake kit. Look at the triple tree ... if it's black ... probably no rake kit ... aluminum ... rake kit. my 08 with the champion kit was the same way, not sure what to do about the stiffness.

:welcome: To the Trike Talk Family! FROM SOUTH
attachment.php
Angleton, TX

Howdy Mark :wave4:

:wave4:

Check with installer or previous owner. Sounds like progressive springs may have been installed in forks. Also check air pressure in front tire. 38 to 40 psi might help. :wave4:

Do you know the following:

1. Does the ADV work or is it stuck?

2. Stock fork springs or something like progressives?

3. How many miles since the forks were serviced, if at all? Might need a total rebuild using new OEM springs.

4. What Pressure do you have in the front tire? I would not run more than 36psi

Just because it has a rake kit(if it does)that will not make the suspension "rock hard"

Puzzled by "front suspension feels like it is welded solid" but, then you say "if the trike is slowly rolling forward and I slam the front brake, the front-end dives like expected."

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png