Suspension question

Sep 14, 2014
SE New England
For the best ride possible question: I have a 2012 GL1800 with a Lehman Monarch II solid axle kit. I have installed the Lehman Heavy Duty (.400 dia. wire 270/345) Aux. shock. Front tire is at 41 psi and the rears are at 21 . My weight is 235 and my wife is 150.

Question: what should the Aux. shock be set at? and what should the GL's mono OEM shock be set at?

Thanks for your help

Some one else will have to help with the Lehman shock settings. As for the front tire pressure, lower it to 36psi, so you don't jar your teeth loose when you hit a bump! The Honda mono-shock should be set at the max of 25!

For the best ride possible question: I have a 2012 GL1800 with a Lehman Monarch II solid axle kit. I have installed the Lehman Heavy Duty (.400 dia. wire 270/345) Aux. shock. Front tire is at 41 psi and the rears are at 21 . My weight is 235 and my wife is 150.

Question: what should the Aux. shock be set at? and what should the GL's mono OEM shock be set at?

Thanks for your help

Here is where I would set everything. There is no magic numbers, only easy starting places.

Rear tire pressure 20 PSI hot, Front tire pressure 40-41 psi hot, (tire pressure can fluctuate as much as 2 psi on rear tires and 4 psi on the front between hot and cold) Aux shock #5 ramp (max spring pressure) and OEM shock #5-#7 single rider, #9-10 double up.

These are default settings I use and you can tweak them (a pound at a time) as you ride.

As for the front tire pressure. I too, fell pray to the age old suggestion of 41 to 42psi when I 1st triked. Even with the OEM front suspension it rode like a truck over bumps and dips and was absolutely terrible on railroad tracks! Finally wised up and lowered the pressure to 36psi and couldn't believe how much better the front suspenion felt!!! This was using a BT45, reverse mounted.

BTW, if you have more than 25,000 miles on your 1800 Wing trike and especially if you have a rake kit, it's time for new OEM springs!!!

Suspension questions

Thank you all for the inputs.

I'm going to set the starting points as per Lee's suggestions and adjust from there. I'm game to try the front wheel psi at something lower than 41. In the past on 2 wheeler's I always set the front at 41 to prevent cupping on Dunlap's but now with an Avon Trike tire I'll try something softer.

I do have 32K on the front tubes and a 5 degree rake. Good suggestion as to it may be the time to change the springs.

Jim, as always you were right on with the below recommendations. My initial set was exactly what you said and I couldn't believe how good the ride felt. I did go back and adjust the OEM mono shock settings for fine tuning when 2-up vrs single and now the ride is better than ever. I did not touch the Aux from #5 and it seems to work fine for me.

Thank you for your help and expert knowledge.

Here is where I would set everything. There is no magic numbers, only easy starting places.

Rear tire pressure 20 PSI hot, Front tire pressure 40-41 psi hot, (tire pressure can fluctuate as much as 2 psi on rear tires and 4 psi on the front between hot and cold) Aux shock #5 ramp (max spring pressure) and OEM shock #5-#7 single rider, #9-10 double up.

These are default settings I use and you can tweak them (a pound at a time) as you ride.

Jim, as always you were right on with the below recommendations. My initial set was exactly what you said and I couldn't believe how good the ride felt. I did go back and adjust the OEM mono shock settings for fine tuning when 2-up vrs single and now the ride is better than ever. I did not touch the Aux from #5 and it seems to work fine for me.

Thank you for your help and expert knowledge.

ThumbUpThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png