Need serious protection for rear fenders on my 1800HTS . . .

Wind Therapy

Jul 12, 2018
Fredericksburg, VA, USA
I ride 600+ miles per week on I-95 between Fredericksburg, VA and Washington, DC. The front sides of my rear fenders look like a teenager with acne ! ! ! I need suggestions for "SERIOUS" protection for these areas exposed to road crud!

I've been thinking about Line X, Rhino Liner or similar materials, but I doubt seriously that they can match the metallic blue paint on my HTS, or that this kind of material is available in clear.

Seeking suggestions . . .

Wind Therapy

Dave Calahan

Fredericksburg, VA

I made my own using some really tough adhesive backed pebble grain vinyl intended for steps, like on trailers, etc. I had planned on going with Line-X at some point, but these that I made are doing the job still. No sanding paint off, etc. Doubt I'll do the Line-X now on trike now. I found stuff on Ebay, easy to cut and apply, used wallpaper roller too. Made patterns, gently used heat gun when rolling over curves too.

Pics & details in link below.

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/29979-quot-DIY-quot-Lehman-GTL-Fender-Bras

At one point, for a few years and good many miles, I used really dark static cling window tint, never had a rock hurt that either, but this textured vinyl is tougher. I also did the lid of our Cycle Mate trailer years earlier, still there.

I've had Expel installed on both my'97 and '17 wings with Roadsmith kits. The '97 kept curling up at the bottom and all the dealer would do is trim off a piece. The '17 doesn't have as much of a curve on the bottom and is straighter. Went to a different dealer this time and so far so good. I've seen some pictures on this site where people have had Rhino-liner or similar products applied and they look awesome. Looks like they were able to match the paint pretty close.

Even if it's black it would probably look good on your bike and that stuff is indestructible. If it'll hold up to the stuff guys put in their truck beds it should be able to take some road debris without a problem.

I mentioned a 5% dark window tint, it's static cling, and if not being fitted around lights, etc, can be easily removed and repositioned if need be. I used it far a few years, never an issue with it coming loose unless you wanted it removed. I applied using a few drops baby shampoo in water in squirt bottle and as soft plastic squeegee.. Wet fender and film, put in place, squeegee from center out, then wipe dry. I used to wax it too. I thought this picture was good in that it shows how color shows through. I was looking at going back to it, but the stick on vinyl is fast stuck on, so I'll leave it be. In this picture you can see I accidently cut it too short, best to cut lower edge with razor after apply. I decided on width and length and where the lights were, I just should have left a quarter inch more at bottom and trimmed that after dry.

Attachments

• zz 2015-09-18 Before Textured Vinyl DarkTint (640w).jpg
    zz 2015-09-18 Before Textured Vinyl DarkTint (640w).jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 212
Fender Protection

I agree with Crystal Pistol. I used a static also for auto windows at 95% bc my wing is black. They've been on for 2 years and I'll occasionally see a mark on the vinyl but not on the paint. Fairly easy to apply and take off. Also the cost for a roll is less expensive than most products.

Paint Protection

Roadsmith offers a very nice paint protection package factory installed with your kit order, but if your dealer does not order your kit with factory paint and does his own paint locally, your trike will not have it. The Roadsmith paint film is pre-cut to exactly fit your trike and can be ordered separately and installed by your dealer as well, or you can order it from Roadsmith and have it installed locally.

Another option is to search for a reputable local auto paint protection film installer on Google and Facebook and check their customer feedback. These are the same shops that do auto & home window tint application. The cost is not bad, typically around $300 for the best films with a lifetime warranty, but can be a bit more or less depending on surface areas you want covered and whether the film requires one or two pieces of film per side.

When I bought my trike last year it had running boards (ground effects). They were pretty beat up and the rear fenders also had a lot of road damage. I eliminated the running boards and added fender bras from a company named Bras for Trikes. Not a perfect solution but it looks much better. Originally I thought about the bed-liner for pick ups covering but the local shop was unable to apply it to the area I wanted due to the complex angles. (I think they were lazy and just didn't want to deal with me)..... Jim

Paint film

Roadsmith offers a very nice paint protection package factory installed with your kit order, but if your dealer does not order your kit with factory paint and does his own paint locally, your trike will not have it. The Roadsmith paint film is pre-cut to exactly fit your trike and can be ordered separately and installed by your dealer as well, or you can order it from Roadsmith and have it installed locally.

Another option is to search for a reputable local auto paint protection film installer on Google and Facebook and check their customer feedback. These are the same shops that do auto & home window tint application. The cost is not bad, typically around $300 for the best films with a lifetime warranty, but can be a bit more or less depending on surface areas you want covered and whether the film requires one or two pieces of film per side.

Have you ever installed this or seen any trikes with this, just wondering what you think of it and quality

Go talk to a LINEX Dealer. Ask about their "Premium" coatings. My rear fenders were done in high gloss black to match my paint. I was told that they can match most colors. Plus the premium coating does not fade or get that dull appearance. I am very pleased with the job my local shop did. I intend to add additional pin striping when I get some loose change. The attached photo doesn't do the job justice.

LINEX Gideon 3.JPG

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png