Ugly vinyl fender guards...help?

irondog

Oct 15, 2018
Linden, TX
Have '98 Ultra with old Champion kit. Am in process of planning to paint. Fenders have clear vinyl fender guards that are dirty and cracking, sunbaked on. What is the trick to getting these off? I've been told goop or wd40 will release/melt adhesive.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Rhino. I will give that a try, although the top 1 foot looks beyond peeling off. Might start at the bottom and work my way up...

Goop.......Goo be gone...ETC Work well' Let it soak in for a few minutes...You will have to peal a little at a time and keep on reapplying the GOOP...

I used 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner to remove a vinyl sticker that the previous owner put on a Sportster fuel tank.

I see a heat gun in the very near future....

Be careful with a heat gun .... those things can lift paint ... hold it away and keep it moving ... I have a very old hair dryer from my "Prince Valiant" cut days (Before I got drafted, no, I don't have pics ... hehehehe ... that I'll post) that works well for gentle heat. Use your wife's when she's not there ... just make sure it's clean when you put it back ... :AGGHH:

Be careful with a heat gun .... those things can lift paint ... hold it away and keep it moving ... I have a very old hair dryer from my "Prince Valiant" cut days (Before I got drafted, no, I don't have pics ... hehehehe ... that I'll post) that works well for gentle heat. Use your wife's when she's not there ... just make sure it's clean when you put it back ... :AGGHH:

Once you take the Wife’s hair dryer into the garage she will know they have a 6th sense with their stuff 😱 No mater how well you clean it ‘ It will still be garage contaminated 😱📞

Yep, would have to buy her another much more expensive one due to my misdeeds....and that would be the easy part.

Yep, would have to buy her another much more expensive one due to my misdeeds....and that would be the easy part.

Me thinks you give her too much credit ... she's not a forensic investigator ... I bet she wouldn't even notice ... of course ... I've been married/divorced three times, so I may not be a good judge of women ... never claimed to be. :D

This is my 3rd...pretty sure she would notice. Although, I hit the jackpot this time around. 38 years. She's a sweetheart.....most of the time.

Never did hear how irondog Ken ever made out :Shrug:

Wonder if she handed him the hairdryer while he was in the shower :afraid:

Well, I am not at the painting stage yet. Too much fun riding and foolin' with the trike. And always something.....new timken front bearings kit to install Tues. . But I will make sure to let ya'll know. BTW, I leave the bathroom if the wife has the hair dryer in her hand.

Thanks for the new phobia. Ken

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png