bought used corbin seat for my 03 SA Motor Trike. hard, as expected, cushion advice?

abefroman

Reaction score
bought used corbin seat for my 03 SA Motor Trike. hard, as expected, cushion advice?

Just got my ebay corbin seat and attempted to install it last night but ran out of time. bolt holes dont line up, but i havent had time to really try to install it properly. I'll probably end up modifying something to make it fit. It needs to come forward about a half inch for the bolt holes to line up. is the front piece that the seat "lip" fits under adjustable, or is it removable ?

However, i sat on the corbin and it's pretty hard... as expected.., but shaped very well. I'm concerned that, since my trike is a solid axle motor trike, I'll feel just about every pebble on the road. However, I still have my AirHawk R that I might use if the ride is too rough. My main concern is how my wife will find the seat. If she thinks it is too rough, I'll probably end up getting her either an Airhawk (expensive tho) or a gel pad or something like that.

Can anyone give me any advice about using a 'cushion' pad with a corbin seat ? Am I defeating the purpose of the seat by using a pad ?

Airhawk / gel / walmart special ???????

cheers

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 136
Just got my ebay corbin seat and attempted to install it last night but ran out of time. However, i sat on the corbin and it's pretty hard... as expected.., but shaped very well. I'm concerned that, since my trike is a solid axle motor trike, I'll feel just about every pebble on the road. However, I still have my AirHawk R that I might use if the ride is too rough. My main concern is how my wife will find the seat. If she thinks it is too rough, I'll probably end up getting her either an Airhawk (expensive tho) or a gel pad or something like that.

Can anyone give me any advice about using a 'cushion' pad with a corbin seat ? Am I defeating the purpose of the seat by using a pad ?

Airhawk / gel / walmart special ???????

cheers

No need to buy anything. In a short time you will love it. Had mine since 2006.

100_0556.jpg

You ain't gonna be happy.

I love my Corbins, but here you are … already looking to pad or change it before even getting it on the trike to ride. You got it in your head that it's hard, thus uncomfortable. I think you short change your own self by not trying it first, let her go along …. if after some miles, it proves not good …. then for sure you can look at pads, etc. I have gell pads, we seldom ever use them though as they raised the seating and fail to improve feel. I have used gell pads inserted in OEM seats, have tried air, and after several hundred miles in a day, none came near as good as the Corbins.

My family had several tractors and other equipment, some had padded seats, some had formed metal seats. The formed metal seats were by far, the most comfortable because the fit the anatomy without hot spots.

I had a new Corbin on my Yamaha Royal Star RSTD.I liked it at first and liked the support. 20,000 miles later I could no longer take the hardness and went to an adapted RSV pillow top and it was fine.

+1 on try before you buy anything ... but .. It's my opinion that varying the seat position is what gets you through the miles (kind of like not sleeping for days in the same position when sick, you will get bed sores). The seat is similar. When you vary the feel your b$tt feels, you're less likely to have issues. Imagine sitting on anything, even your recliner for 8-10 hours without moving ... you will feel uncomfortable after awhile.

So .. what to do? I recently got an air hawk and it's great. I put it on for a tank full then take it off for a tank full. Keeps the b$tt from "feeling" the same position. Same principle as highway pegs, new position helps with pain, cramping, numbness, etc.

Sheepskins work too, just about anything, variety is the spice of life ... LOL.

Disclaimer: I don't work at all ... LOL .. retired ... so not endorsing any one product over another. I've had Corbin seats and loved them, still looked for ways to vary the seat feel on longer rides.

Well, I had a Corbin on a 1985 Honda shadow and I liked it, so I figured that, for the deal I got, I would try a Corbin on my new trike. I got it installed but havent had a chance to ride due to all the constant storms. However, from just sitting on it I can tell that my butt really likes the "cupped" shape of the seat. I'll put a thousand miles or so on it before making any final decisions. I already have an airhawk, so that is an option, if not for me, then maybe for my wife if she has any comfort issues. Thanks for all of the comments.

This morning I did 85 miles on the way to work on my new "used" Corbin seat. Seat is hard (as expected), and my butt hurt a little, but I think my butt is in the process of getting used to riding again. I haven't been on a bike for a few years, so I really think that I'm in the midst of re-conditioning my derriere. I put 1100 miles on the 16 yr old stock seat and I was hurting pretty bad. However, that may have been a good thing, as now my rear end is toughened up a bit and is now ready to put a couple thousand miles on the Corbin. I can literally feel my butt toughening up ! I'll report back in a few thousand miles. cheers

This morning I did 85 miles on the way to work on my new "used" Corbin seat. Seat is hard (as expected), and my butt hurt a little, but I think my butt is in the process of getting used to riding again. I haven't been on a bike for a few years, so I really think that I'm in the midst of re-conditioning my derriere. I put 1100 miles on the 16 yr old stock seat and I was hurting pretty bad. However, that may have been a good thing, as now my rear end is toughened up a bit and is now ready to put a couple thousand miles on the Corbin. I can literally feel my butt toughening up ! I'll report back in a few thousand miles. cheers

I have a Corbin. It takes a few thousand miles to mold to your ass before they get comfy.

Being it’s used, it might take less. :Shrug:Corbins are hard , not for the thinskin !

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png