On top of the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AzBTO

Reaction score
Ok, maybe not on top of the world, more like on top of my 2013 F6b Motor Trike Raptor........

First trike so still getting use riding a trike in general, can't help but feeling I sit way up high, especially when I corner. Am contemplating to get a seat that sits me lower to ease that feeling but not sure I really need it. Very little time on trike so far, mostly around the "complex" (Less than 35 mph?) getting use to the trike handling.

Any thoughts, suggestions, input on the subject?

Ok, maybe not on top of the world, more like on top of my 2013 F6b Motor Trike Raptor........

First trike so still getting use riding a trike in general, can't help but feeling I sit way up high, especially when I corner. Am contemplating to get a seat that sits me lower to ease that feeling but not sure I really need it. Very little time on trike so far, mostly around the "complex" (Less than 35 mph?) getting use to the trike handling.

Any thoughts, suggestions, input on the subject?

Practice ... took me about 200 miles to get used to my first and comfortable. Find a parking lot, do lots of figure 8's of various sizes and at various speeds.

Use both arms ... push and pull, lock the pushing arm's elbow. I "feel" better leaning forward and into the curves a little. Trikes are pretty stable ... harder than you'd think to get a rear wheel up ... it can be done, but, you need to try.

You might also want to play with the tire pressure in the rear tires. Those are basically car tires holding a third of the trike's weight, #20-24# seems to be a good starting point. Will make the trike ride better and handle better.

And lastly, Practice!

Reactions: MDO
Time in the seat, miles under your butt and you will get used to it and love it! And like Fuzzy said, lock your pushing arm and use your a upper body to push through the turn.

You may feel like the trike is trying to throw you off in a curve.

To alleviate this push down on the floorboard or peg with the foot opposite to the way you are turning...aka...the “outside” foot. If you are curving to the left, push down with the right foot and vice-versa.

Rear tire pressures have been addressed here. But the front tire pressure needs to be played with also. I personally start a ride with a cold tire reading of 38#..if higher the ride on my GL1800 seems bouncy and harsh...I ride solo and am not heavy. Two-up and heavy might possibly take up to 40# cold but my MotorTrike recommends not to exceed 40# on front tire...period.

Have fun and take your time getting used to it. You don’t have to keep up with anybody until you are ready!

Like others said in ways. Push on outside handgrip, lightly pull on inside grip, and I like to lean my upper body into turn just a little. Wife says she does too.

You are also gonna feel more "bumps in the road with the trike making three tracks instead of one. Gone are the days of almost always threading a smooth path between them pot hole areas, you are gonna feel more of them. You'll also become more aware of higher left or right tracks, more aware of roadway lane superelevation or tilt.

On plus side, no more worries about wet stop bars and if you want to pull off the roadway to photo something, easier to find a spot.

Just watch them gas pumps.

Don't think you need a lower seat, just 200-500 miles in the saddle to get used to that feeling that you are about to high side in the corners. Once you get used to that you can pretty much hang with your two wheel friends. You will however be more comfortable riding gravel, dirt, snow. Do be careful about rain and water on the road, the wide rear tires and the relatively low weight of the trike does make hydroplaning a reason to pay attention and probably slow down a bit.

When I got my trike. I road it around my complex. 1 lap 2 miles. Hit the road and came back home 3 hours later. Rode 150 miles and had never been on a trike before.

Like a duck to water for me.

My first week on a trike (ever) I conquered the "FAMOUS TAIL OF THE DRAGON" road, first time there ever also, It was either learn how to turn, or "crash and burn"...:p Well it looks like, I made it cause I'm still here to talk about it!! :clapping:

Ronnie

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miner
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png