Friend had a good deal

FuzzyWuzHe

Dec 30, 2014
Grand Junction, Co. USA
Got a call from a friend today. He had bought a harbor freight 40' x 48" utility trailer. He bought it awhile ago, I think the presidents day sale.

Anyway, his birthday was yesterday and his wife gave him the trailer of his dreams, yep, an alumina.

So, he is not sure he can return it because he doesn't have the box. Apparently, the box it shipped from china in didn't fair well and he put it in three smaller boxes. Bottom line, he offered it to me for $125, he paid $250 on sale. It comes complete with the title paperwork, all I have to do is put it together.

Here's a pic from their web site:

Trailer.jpg

The good news, I already have a car top carrier to mount on it, assuming it hasn't dry rotted ... LOL. It's in the rafters of the garage. I used it once to move from Kenosha, Wisconsin to here. I put it on top of my trucks camper shell. Quite the sight going down the road ... LOL. Even if it falls apart when I take it down, I can get a nice one for $160. All in I'd only be $285 for a new trailer for the long trips.

I still have a tent and sleeping bag, but, I suspect I'm way past that stage :AGGHH:.

Sounds like a plan Alan!!!

I'm thinking a big loop in September ... Grand Junction Colorado to Kentucky to see the Ark and Maybe lunch with Consitter ... south to see Kevin and Mary ... and his shop ... then South West to Kerrville ... and back to Grand Junction ... all looks good on paper ... LOL.

Might have to figure out how to declare Harley a "Service Dog" ... Not sure the Ark will look kindly on him ... :D

About the trailer.... I thought you were going to tow FBG behind your truck for the highway miles then you and Harley would do the day trips on FBG.

Good point ... :D ... I heard a blurb that it was damaged by flooding ... not sure if that's tru ... but if it is ... It's pretty ironic. :AGGHH:

What I read was that the road to the Ark was damaged by flooding and the owners of the Ark were in a wrangle with their insurance company about it. The Ark itself was not damaged and it is open. Friends of ours were up there just last week.

I'm thinking a big loop in September ... Grand Junction Colorado to Kentucky to see the Ark and Maybe lunch with Consitter ... south to see Kevin and Mary ... and his shop ... then South West to Kerrville ... and back to Grand Junction ... all looks good on paper ... LOL.

Seeing you're so close, don't the forget Maggie Valley event in Sept.

MAke sure you check the wheel hub bearings . What grade Hardware came with the trailer?? Just Wondering :confused:

About the trailer.... I thought you were going to tow FBG behind your truck for the highway miles then you and Harley would do the day trips on FBG.

Still might be the plan ... the Trailer was just too good a deal to pass up.

What I read was that the road to the Ark was damaged by flooding and the owners of the Ark were in a wrangle with their insurance company about it. The Ark itself was not damaged and it is open. Friends of ours were up there just last week.

Could be ... my understanding was here say.

Seeing you're so close, don't the forget Maggie Valley event in Sept.

I agree Fuzzy, you need to put the Maggie Valley Rally in that loop!

Just where is Maggie alley? I suppose it could be possible ...

MAke sure you check the wheel hub bearings . What grade Hardware came with the trailer?? Just Wondering :confused:

Haven't opened the boxes yet ... so don't know about the hardware. Yep, bearings are pretty important, so they will get checked and greased during the build.

Another thing, how are people mounting the car top carrier? Bolts through the base to the trailer? Have to be careful to seal them well.

Are you going to put a some sort of sub base down before installing the carrier? Bolt carrier to the trailer frame . Stainless Hardware and large washers or plates on the inside of the carrier to help secure it to the trailer.

Are you going to put a some sort of sub base down before installing the carrier? Bolt carrier to the trailer frame . Stainless Hardware and large washers or plates on the inside of the carrier to help secure it to the trailer.

Thinking an aluminum base, mainly to keep rocks from poking into the car carrier ... might make it a little rock guard up front too. Probably won't make any decisions until I get the trailer put together and get the car carrier down from the rafters. Ideally, I'd like to make an aluminum box and have my buddy do the welding. But, I'll be fine with the car carrier if it doesn't fall apart when I take it down.

If that's the HF one we had, it folds up. We used it for a couple years & sold it for what we payed.

I used 1/2" treated plywood for a floor & it worked well.

I was thinking 1/8" aluminum .... I can get it fairly cheap (free, my friend Don scored a pile of 48" x 48" sheets) he'll give me one or maybe sell one ... LOL. He's also very adept at bending the aluminum (sans brake), not sure how he does it. If he could take a sheet and make a stone guard ... that would work well.

Reactions: MDO
Time to build it ....

So today was a decent day ... cloudy, but, just fluffy clouds.

Decided to build it before I lost parts.

Step One, put the frame together and check for square, I did this by tightening the bolts to just snug and measuring from one corner to the other on both sides, adjust and recheck. When it was square, tighten everything down and verify square. It's within a 32nd of an inch:

Square.jpg

Next was to mount the tongue and spring brackets:

Tonque.jpg

Mount the springs:

Springs.jpg

Mount the axle and fenders:

Fenders.jpg

The hubs where already on the wheels and greased, so they got mounted:

View attachment 72249

Bearings 3.jpg

Put on the dust caps I had removed to install them. The are held on like any car axle ... washer, castle nut and cotter pin.

The hard part was getting it off the two tables I built it on (getting too old to be on the ground). It's not real heavy (guessing 100-150#), but, it is awkward. Basically I slid the back end down, stood the tongue upright, then flipped it onto the wheels.

Here it is ... hooked to the FBG:

Hooked Up 1.jpg

Hooked Up 2.jpg

Okay ... so first issue I found ... no front foot ... not a biggie. Took it for a ride around the neighborhood (yep, lights not hooked up, no plates, but, I just went around the block).

Another issue was this trailer is rated at 1090# ... way overkill for what I will put on it. The springs are 3 leaf and rated at 545# each. I had a thought that I could remove the smallest leaf and get a little more suspension play. With nothing on the frame, it bounced all over the place ... every bump I could hear it bouncing, Never felt it on the trike ... but I knew it was bouncing. A pot hole at 70 mph could get exciting .. LOL.

I wasn't positive my idea about removing the leaf was safe, so, I went to a local business (Spring Works), I've been a customer there for years. Campers, trailers, all go to them every two years for a checkup. They re grease, fix any electrical issues and generally check it out. I showed them the pictures and they agreed that removing the little leaf would make the springs rated to about 300# or 600# total rating. So that is the plan. Not sure when I'll get to that. Then I asked them about a foot ... they had a used one that will work just fine.

Foot.jpg

If you look close, you can see it was originally listed for $30.95 and now cost $15.00 .. no brainer, now I need to attach it, might end up welding it on since the bottom of the tongue is open. Be an easy mount.

Tomorrow Don is gonna help me with another project and he said he'd help with the springs and the wiring .. not rocket science, but, I absolutely hate electrical. :xzqxz:

Since he retired, he's been really helpful. He won't ask to be paid. but, I won't let him help unless he accepts what I pay him. We have an understanding. :D

Alan, take the bearing dust caps off again. Find a rubber binder or large O ring that fits snug on the inside radius and put them back on

This will help to seal water and moisture out of the hubs and bearings;)

Review of the Rig

Okay, obviously I haven't have a trip with it yet, but, some thoughts.

1) The hardware is all pretty substantial. Every nut, except for the actual light mounts is a Nylock (has nylon rings that keep it from vibrating loose). All of it appears to be zinc plated and is 3/8" or 1/2" od.. Pretty heavy duty for a little tiny trailer.

2) The hubs are drilled with a zirc fitting between the bearings, no need for bearing buddies.

3) The tail lights and clearance markers are LED's, this really surprised me. I was expecting filament bulbs, that's a plus.

4) For a stamped, then pressed frame, the bolt holes lined up very well. When putting the frame together, there are two bolts on each end of each cross member. they mount on different planes which really helps with the rigidity of the frame.

5) I plan to heat up and remove the huge warning stickers about standing or sitting on the trailer fenders ... talk about ugly.

6) I was really pleased that it has 12" 4 lug wheels, not the 8" ones that cause bearings to spin so fast they heat up.

7) The safety chains they give you are huge. I plan on getting a smaller chain and smaller hooks. These will not fit on the trikes hitch ... LOL. Might just get some eyes to hang the chains on.

Eyelets.jpg

8) I will probably paint it gloss black before I put the car top carrier on. Maybe not .. LOL.

Summary ... except for the springs being overkill, I believe it is a nice little trailer. On my around the block ride, I couldn't tell it was back there. I could see the fenders in the mirrors, and that's a good thing.

Update:

As for my car top carrier, 20 years in the garage rafters has caused it to warm up and cool ... the boards that held it in the rafters allowed it to "droop" and the poly has cracked. But fear not, I also have two Rubbermaid action trakers that I put on top of my Time out trailer to hold camping gear (I had no storage in my time out since I changed out the air mattress for a Futon). I'm thinking mounting them would be a very nice option. Like I've said, this thing ain't about pretty, it's about function :D

I forgot, I have 4 action packers ... :D

Action Packers.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png