Ride Report 2019 Black Hills, Grand Teton Mtns., Rocky Mountain Ntl. Park

Kevin will your Tri Glide fit in the toy hauler? Looks like you are having a good time be safe.

Yes, it fits. Barely, but it gets the job done.

TG%20in%20TH%201.jpg

TG%20in%20TH%202.jpg

We still have use the the fridge, sink, bathroom, shower and bed, but no living area until we unload the Tri Glide.

Thanks, we're really enjoying this trip!

Kevin

Day 5 Continued-

As we left Deadwood, we got hailed on again. That is not a dirty lens on Mary's camera. lol

11-Hailed%20on%20Again.jpg

But it did not last long, soon we were seeing some blue sky, along with some less wet clouds!

12%20Cloud%20pic.jpg

Running the same sweepers again, opposite direction. Mary In The Mirror!

13-Nice%20Sweeper%20MIM.jpg

We're in Spearfish Canyon now...

14-SFC.jpg

...it is the perfect combination of a fun road to ride, along with amazing views.

15-SFC.jpg

A look back-

16-SFC%20look%20back.jpg

It is stunningly picturesque...

17-SFC.jpg

...which is one of the reasons it is one of Mary's favorite roads to ride.

18-SFC.jpg

While it is short, it offers some great sweepers...

19-SFC.jpg

...and a few tighter curves as well.

20-SFC.jpg

All for now, much more of Day 5 to come!

Kevin

Great pictures! Got to ride Spearfish Canyon in 1998 at Sturgis Rally. Absolutely beautiful road. Unfortunately it rained that day so had to take it a little slower than I would have liked but still great fun. Thanks for posting your ride reports. Keep them coming!

Sunman

Love Spearfish Canyon

We had 1 of our pack crash there in 93, not paying attention to the road

Raining that day and lots of trucks on the road

Reactions: MDO
That's the kind of road you can forget about riding and get caught up in the views .... :AGGHH:

Yeah. But it is fun to ride too!!! :)

I do that in the Smokey Mountain National Park

Great pics Kevin/Mary, it looks like your having a blast.

Thanks, yes, we are really enjoying this time!

Great pictures! Got to ride Spearfish Canyon in 1998 at Sturgis Rally. Absolutely beautiful road. Unfortunately it rained that day so had to take it a little slower than I would have liked but still great fun. Thanks for posting your ride reports. Keep them coming!

Sunman

Thank you. This road is in Mary's Top Ten....It may be in mine also.

Much more to come.

Love Spearfish Canyon

We had 1 of our pack crash there in 93, not paying attention to the road

Raining that day and lots of trucks on the road

I hear ya, it can be easy to be distracted. Hope all is well with you down in Florida Jack...as I type this it is snowing outside...last day of Spring. lol

Enjoying the pictures of your trip as usual! Enjoy yourselves and be safe!

Thank you, good to hear you're liking them. Gotta stay safe to ride another day.

Kevin

Day 5 Continued-

Spearfish Canyon...

21-SFC.jpg

...what a great day to be riding it...

22-SFC.jpg

...Mary is getting a ton of great cloud pics...

23-SFC.jpg

...we're both really enjoying the road & the views.

24-SFC.jpg

It is a classic American scenic byway.

25-SFC.jpg

Old Hydro Electro Plant-

26-SFC.jpg

Don't want to jinx myself, but as far as the speed limit, I ride at the speed that is safe for the road conditions and the traffic...

27-SFC.jpg

...and there's been very little traffic, and very little 35 mph speeds today. :)

29-SFC.jpg

Caught the waterfall on the fly. We'll stop for a better pic on the way back.

28-SFC.jpg

Absolutely amazing road to appreciate....both the riding and the views!

30-SFC.jpg

More in next post.

Kevin

Day 5 Continued-

It's cold today....

31-SFC.jpg

...but with the electric jackets, the views and...

32-SFC.jpg

...the lack of traffic, the high 40's/low 50's are totally worth it!

33-SFC.jpg

Here we are in Spearfish. First time we need to do a bit of grocery shopping this trip, and what better way to do it than a round trip via Spearfish Canyon.

34-Welcome.jpg

This is a motel that we stayed in for 3 or 4 days about 5 years ago.

35-Motel.jpg

Downtown Main Street...lots of good memories of this town-

36-Spearfish%20Downtown.jpg

Shopping's done, back riding Spearfish Canyon, the opposite direction.

38-RSC.jpg

Leaned over, coming out of a sharp curve...

37-RSC.jpg

...this is a road that just begs to be ridden in a "spirited" manner. :)

39-RSC.jpg

I don't know how many times we'd have to ride it to get tired of it.

40-RSC.jpg

Still more to come of Day 5, as time permits.

Kevin

We love riding the hills when were at the Rally. Usually run the Canyon both directions every year. But its a lot warmer when were out there. We love riding from Spearfish down to Hill city. One year there wasnt much traffic. So we ran it early in the week and again before we left.... I told Deb that I thought I was getting tired of corners... She said she never thought she would hear me say that... But it was the fourth day of riding the hills all day...

Be different on the Triglide this year... I like laying over in the corners... Looks like great riding with out the traffic that we always have...

Have fun... Just saw Beartooth is closed again for snow... Good thing your not going that far...

Been down Spearfish canyon many times. If you really want the 'WOW' factor, go down during the peak fall colors. One thinks it is mostly evergreens, but it will surprise and amaze you...

Glad you're having a great time! I thought you'd have a few 'jacket weather' days!:laugh: My perfect riding weather.

We have a good friend that has a rustic cabin out there in the Canyon....in between the Power Plant No. 2 and Bridal Veil Falls....been lucky enough to have stayed there a few times.....NOT during Sturgis Bike Week!! I think they make enough off rentals to pay property tax for the year! Good deal for them, and they have returning renters, so must be good for them as well.:clapping:

Really enjoying your ride reports and pics....Ride Safe!

Bill

Lots of rain here in Florida, I feel soggy when I ride

Following your trip, stay safe and have FUN:clapping:

Hey Jack,

Better soggy and warm than wet and freezing! :D

We love riding the hills when were at the Rally. Usually run the Canyon both directions every year. But its a lot warmer when were out there. We love riding from Spearfish down to Hill city. One year there wasnt much traffic. So we ran it early in the week and again before we left.... I told Deb that I thought I was getting tired of corners... She said she never thought she would hear me say that... But it was the fourth day of riding the hills all day...

Be different on the Triglide this year... I like laying over in the corners... Looks like great riding with out the traffic that we always have...

Have fun... Just saw Beartooth is closed again for snow... Good thing your not going that far...

I hear ya on getting tired of the corners. That happened to me once in Idaho a few years back. Surprised me And Mary. But I was cured the next day. lol

Yep, the TG is different in the curves...still fun, just different. If you need any confirmation that they can handle the sweepers and twistys just as good, or better, than HD 2 wheelers...check out this video-

Been down Spearfish canyon many times. If you really want the 'WOW' factor, go down during the peak fall colors. One thinks it is mostly evergreens, but it will surprise and amaze you...

Thanks man...gonna have to do that one year.

Glad you're having a great time! I thought you'd have a few 'jacket weather' days!:laugh: My perfect riding weather.

We have a good friend that has a rustic cabin out there in the Canyon....in between the Power Plant No. 2 and Bridal Veil Falls....been lucky enough to have stayed there a few times.....NOT during Sturgis Bike Week!! I think they make enough off rentals to pay property tax for the year! Good deal for them, and they have returning renters, so must be good for them as well.:clapping:

Really enjoying your ride reports and pics....Ride Safe!

Bill

Hey Bill,

Thanks!

Our time in the Hills has been perfect!

Kevin

Day 5 Concluded-

What a great road, the curves and the views-

41-RSC.JPG

Stopped at the waterfall....

42-MaryPicWaterFall.jpg

...for Mary to get a photo...

43-WaterFall.jpg

...and one more, looking back as we ride away.

44-LookBackWF.jpg

This is my kind of road...

45-MyKindOfRoad.jpg

...the scenery is endless...

46-LookBack.jpg

...and the curves just keep coming.

47-OhYeah.jpg

We were really fortunate for nice cool weather and a relatively traffic free day! :)

Just stunning!!!

48-Stunning.jpg

Day 5 wrapped up in the next post.

Kevin

Day 5 Conclusion-

Looking up the side of the canyon wall from the bike...

49-Canyon.jpg

...the photo's don't really show how steep and tall they are. Quite a sight in person!

50-CanyonSteep.jpg

What a day it has been...thru Cheyenne Crossing, over the hill, thru Lead, to Deadwood. Back thru Lead and over the curvy hill again, back thru Cheyenne Crossing.

Then up thru Spearfish Canyon...a bit of nostalgia wandering around Spearfish a bit. Then back thru the Canyon again. :)

Now we've gone thru Cheyenne Crossing a 3rd time and are on the 5 mile narrow road leading to our "camp" site.

This is one of 6 wooden bridges we cross on this road.

58-LittleRoad.JPG

It is a very nice, picturesque ribbon of asphalt. The last half mile before camp is a nice hard-packed gravel road.

59-littleRoad.JPG

Back at our "own little private lake"...

60-Back.JPG

...we went for a walk around the lake...

60-back2.JPG

...the stream is quite cold and moving quickly.

60-back3.JPG

Great way to wrap up a fantastic day of riding!

60-back4.JPG

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png