Review of Michelin Commander MT09B16 Front Trike Tire

chiefdave

10+ Post Club
Apr 26, 2017
Davenport, Fl 33937
If you are thinking of replacing your front Trike tire I do not recommend the Michelin Commander. I replaced my original Dunlap front tire in March this year with a new Michelin Commander at 11,600 miles. New tire tread depth was 7/32'. Currently have 16,800 miles as of 6/13/19 and checked the tread depth today at 4/32". Basically 5200 miles in 2-1/2 months. Not impressed to say the least. I plan to replace it again later this month. Looking for recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Just my opinion but I'm very happy with the Avon Cobra specific Trike tire I put on 5.000 miles ago. There is hardly any wear and the handling is so much better than the original Dunlop. In the twisties it sticks the curves really well, totally satisfied with it.

The Avon also currently has a $20 rebate. It is a deep tread, trike specific tire for your Tri & the GoldWing size.

I'm looking at 1 for my Freewheeler, it's on my short list.

Well I have a Michelin Comander II Rear on the front of Old Shiney over 7,000 miles and only 2/32 wear. Even with the turns and hills where we are road surface temperature is not a critical factor. Possibly other factors can come into play as well. I am very satisfied with my choice just sayin... Ride safe FredDSC01170.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01178.JPG
    DSC01178.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 304
Avon AV91 Cobra Chrome Trike Tire

I bought Avon's new AV91 Cobra Chrome Trike Tire (P/N 2120411) in Feburary and got it mounted 4 June. Just made a 1,021 mile ride from SW Arkansas to SE Michigan and the Cobra Chrome Trike Tire performed flawlessly. I've no doubts it will perform the same on my return trip. So throwing my hat in the ring for the AV91 Cobra Chrome Trike Tire as a replacement.

20190605_094706.jpg

20190605_174054.jpg

20190605_174936.jpg

Reactions: MDO
Confused

If you are thinking of replacing your front Trike tire I do not recommend the Michelin Commander. I replaced my original Dunlap front tire in March this year with a new Michelin Commander at 11,600 miles. New tire tread depth was 7/32'. Currently have 16,800 miles as of 6/13/19 and checked the tread depth today at 4/32". Basically 5200 miles in 2-1/2 months. Not impressed to say the least. I plan to replace it again later this month. Looking for recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Are you talking about the Commander II Rear installed in reverse rotation? I have one with approximately 8000 miles and looks great and I live in the mountains so I don't ride a lot of straight roads.

Kurt

Just my opinion but I'm very happy with the Avon Cobra specific Trike tire I put on 5.000 miles ago. There is hardly any wear and the handling is so much better than the original Dunlop. In the twisties it sticks the curves really well, totally satisfied with it.

+1

I now have 20,000 on my Avon Cobra specific Trike tire. Still lots of tread left. Leaving tomorrow on a 5000 + ride. Dealer measured it & felt it would go the distance with some left over.

Reactions: MDO
I too have the Avon Trike specific tire - the new 'chrome' version. Have about 5k on it now and like it fine. Truthfully I can't tell much difference from the OEM Dunlop that came on the TG but hoping it will last longer. The Lop lasted about 18k. Only thing I have to say about the Avon is that the tread pattern is weird. No tread at all in the very center. Several folks have commented about that when looking at my TG.

Michelin Commander Updated Information

As I mentioned, I had the Michelin installed in Florida in March. We just finished riding the Blue Ridge Parkway as well as Skyline Drive. Prior to that we drove various motorcycle routes in Carolina's, Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia. I know the lower and mid sections of the Parkway have some tight turns, but I drove at safe speeds. We drove maybe 2500-3000 miles. I was expecting the Michelin would outlast the original Dunlap tire which was replaced at 11,600 miles. I am now headed to Deadwood SD for the rally and most likely will have it changed with the Avon AV71 Cobra MT90B16 Front Tire. Appreciate everyone's inputs.

AV(!

As I mentioned, I had the Michelin installed in Florida in March. We just finished riding the Blue Ridge Parkway as well as Skyline Drive. Prior to that we drove various motorcycle routes in Carolina's, Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia. I know the lower and mid sections of the Parkway have some tight turns, but I drove at safe speeds. We drove maybe 2500-3000 miles. I was expecting the Michelin would outlast the original Dunlap tire which was replaced at 11,600 miles. I am now headed to Deadwood SD for the rally and most likely will have it changed with the Avon AV71 Cobra MT90B16 Front Tire. Appreciate everyone's inputs.

Just a reminder that the NEW model Avon front is the AV91 Chrome Trike tire. I believe the PN is 2120411 for the MT90B16.

Despite being all-season tires, both Commander 2 and 3 aren’t marketed by Michelin to be particularly good in snow. And by looking at the treads, the depth of the grooves would not be enough to disperse snow so they could give you some problems.

Being you are A new member I’ll give you a little Lead-way’ ..Where are you going with this very few if any Trike riders ride in the Snow on purpose..???

Being you are A new member I’ll give you a little Lead-way’ ..Where are you going with this very few if any Trike riders ride in the Snow on purpose..???

Our new member has been found at Stop Forum Spam. An old thread, a spammer's place to start out.

31-Oct-22 11:00

Bournedaltondaltonbourne07@gmail.com

The 2 of you are doing a damn fine job keeping the forum safe, Thank you both

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png