Champion Raked Trees

irondog

Oct 15, 2018
Linden, TX
I am attempting to adjust my steering head bearing play. Setup is different than stock. Have a hex bolt with tall black spacer. Below spacer is a thin b20190625_124933.jpglack nut. Hard to get off...very hard. If/when I remove this, will it give me access to the steering head adjustment nut below, or is there another procedure for adjusting. A little loose on the steering.

Someone was from that school that says "never use a wrench or socket when vise grips will fit"? :xzqxz:

My guess is that knarly black nut is the one to torque, then the spacer and bolt locks the top tree to stem … maybe? Is the "spacer" hollow and covers that nut?

Papa Zook will let us know soon?

Yes that is an early model. Look under the center of the bottom tree and see if there is a nut or allen head hole in the middle of the lower steering stem shaft and post back. You're also more than welcome to call me at 346-800-7946.

Yes that is an early model. Look under the center of the bottom tree and see if there is a nut or allen head hole in the middle of the lower steering stem shaft and post back. You're also more than welcome to call me at 346-800-7946.

Torrential downpour here in East Tx right now, will look when I can. Thanks. Ken

Break in weather. Dual brake line manifold screwed to underside with 2 spacer washers. Will unfasten and look under washers if and when it stops raining. 5 1/2" since 3am. Ken20190629_163348.jpg

Brake line manifold off. T40 5/16" screw holding manifold appears to fasten to bottom steering stem, which protrudes @ 20190630_102821.jpgbottom with large circlip retainer.

Thanks for the pics. That is where you tighten/torque you steering stem while holding the top nut. Using a jack under the frame, raise the front of the bike so that the tire is 1 inch off the ground, then torque the steering stem from the bottom to 40 ft lbs, briskly turn the font end back and forth left to right, lock to lock. It should have just a bit of resistance, but not too much. But before you tighten it at all, what does the resistance feel like? Does it just easily flop side to side?

Think I found my floppy handling problem. Had a growl start in front hub, so did a wheel bearing kit today. One bearing fell out in several pieces...dont know how it even kept rolling.

Handling is now how it should be.. .no more wandering on the road. Thanks for all the help...the problem presented at the right time

Thanks. Ken

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png