cooling fans never seem to come on

Feb 7, 2018
Sparta Mi usa
I have a 2015 trike mostly stock and when I bought it new the cooling fans seemed to run most of the time when I shut it off but recently the fans never seem to come on. We were riding in 90 degree weather and normally the fans would kick in but not now. I have tried them manualy and they do work what else could it be.

I have a 2015 trike mostly stock and when I bought it new the cooling fans seemed to run most of the time when I shut it off but recently the fans never seem to come on. We were riding in 90 degree weather and normally the fans would kick in but not now. I have tried them manualy and they do work what else could it be.

Are you talking about the stock cooling fans or an after market. When you say tried them manually, what does that mean? I'm not aware of a way to turn the stock ones on manually. Did you check the fuse for the fans?

I would think that, like most cooling fans, they are thermostatically controlled. I would, after checking the fuse as Fuzzy suggests, jumper out the thermostat & see if they run & if they do, remove/replace the thermostat.:cool:

Try this to see if both fans come on

Turn your bike on, don't start it, then roll the throttle half way and the pump and fans will come on. This feature lets you check everything works and helps get the air out if you ever have to drain and refill the system. Pump and fans run until you turn the ignition back off.

When my trike was new they ran alot too. After breaking it in and installing vied's and killing the cat they hardly ever run anymore.

Turn your bike on, don't start it, then roll the throttle half way and the pump and fans will come on. This feature lets you check everything works and helps get the air out if you ever have to drain and refill the system. Pump and fans run until you turn the ignition back off.

That's amazing. I just went out in the garage and gave this a try. Sure enough the fans came on. Thanks for sharing.

I have done this and both the pump and fans come on, another trike owner said it could be the pump going out as he has replaced 3 on his 2016

Has your coolant light or engine light come on and stayed on?

Have you checked for stored codes?

Harley claims few issues with their thermostats, saying more often the pump goes bad

Jack, doesn't the thermostat control the fan coming on? Please correct me if I'm wrong.:)

I am not sure how it works with the engine coolant temp sensor, I have not had the displeasure of working on one of these systems

I would think if one was having problems with one of these there should be a trouble code and or an engine light on

Pump, if the pump has not been changed out it is probably the pump. Put your hand on the pump and do the throttle trick to see if it starts. Mine would run sometimes and other times it would not. The Magnetic coupling was

Cracked and sticking or binding.

2014 TriGlide Waterpump (4).jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png