Hail in Black Hills

ISP-FL

600+ Posts
Mar 16, 2017
Lake Suzy, FL USA
Yesterday other two couples wanted to make the run to Wall SD from our camp site outside Spearfish. Since the only logical way to get there within a reasonable time was by I-90 we decided to leave the trikes and jump in two cars.

It was probably a good call. On the return trip between Rapid City and Sturgis approached a storm so decided to pull off. Just as we approached the rural exit large hail started. No room left under the overpass so I had to sit through it in my 2018 Mini Cooper. The result was 200 to 300 dents from this dime size to nickel size hail event.

I would hate to think what it would have been like if we would have been on the trikes. We have rode in the rain out here a couple times this week. Just like always, no big deal, just throw the rain suits on and get back in the saddle. We all are reevaluating that now.

Be careful Joe, those storms there sneak up on you

In 93 my bike got a ding on the front fender from a storm in Spearfish

Strange evening storm on a Friday the 13th of August. 2 riders killed on the way back from Sturgis that night

The 3 women were in one car and went to Rapid City to shop. Us guys were in my car, stopped in Sturgis and were leaving there when it hit. Both my buddies videod part of it with their phones as we sat there getting hit. About 5 or 6 long minutes into it a poor guy on a can am pulled down close to us off the interstate trying to get out of it. He stopped for just a few seconds next to me but was able to barely squeeze in between cars and get under the overpass. There was some sort of plastic trim came flying off the back of his bike as he was getting hit with the hail. Felt bad for him.

Talking to a guy at the Goodyear tire shop in Spearfish today and he said hail damage is pretty common in this area.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png