Rear Brake Pads anti-rattle clips

controlu

Apr 25, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
As many others have stated, the rear brakes on the Champion are very weak at best. (VW parts) Step on the rear brake and you can kinda feel it trying to slow you down but not much more than that. So, I bought the new Yellow Stuff DP4105R that every one says is the replacement for the stock pads on my Champion Trike kit. However, they are a different shape between the pin holes. BrakePad2.jpg As you can see, the "cutout" between the hols is much deeper.

Here is a view of the new on top of the old. BrakePad.jpg

That cutout is where the anti-rattle clip fastens to the pad. Since the cutout is deeper the clip will not work. I've been in contact with EBC (who have been very attentive) and they can not come up with an answer.

Has anyone else had this problem? What is the fix? Are there other clips that can be used? Are the clips really needed? Any suggestions will help.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Mark......I also have a Champion ( my Lehman kit says it’s a Lehman....but it’s actually a Champion IRS)

Although the brake components are Nissan ( from Acura ) they, like yours are not really

effective.

When I put new pads on my trike 3 years ago.....I too installed the EBC Yellows recommended by others on this site.

As it turned out, the yellows were not great. If you talk to EBC, or go to their web site, you will find out that the EBC green pads are made of a softer material that is designed for lighter vehicles.

I actually went to a Carquest pad recommended by Lehman that is Sintered. It has noticeably improved my stopping power.

No more EBC Yellow for me!

i know that this doesn’t help you with your clip issue....but I thought I might warn you about pad selection.

The fact your pushing down on the pedal instead of forward is the big problem. Doesn't help the clip problem.The clips help keep the pads from contacting the rotors when your off the brakes and from rattling around.

The fact your pushing down on the pedal instead of forward is the big problem. Doesn't help the clip problem.The clips help keep the pads from contacting the rotors when your off the brakes and from rattling around.

Uhhh, the pedal is on a pivot which would require a circular motion to operate it. It is located under the ball of the foot and does not move forward, only down. What am I missing?

Hi Mark......I also have a Champion ( my Lehman kit says it’s a Lehman....but it’s actually a Champion IRS)

Although the brake components are Nissan ( from Acura ) they, like yours are not really

effective.

When I put new pads on my trike 3 years ago.....I too installed the EBC Yellows recommended by others on this site.

As it turned out, the yellows were not great. If you talk to EBC, or go to their web site, you will find out that the EBC green pads are made of a softer material that is designed for lighter vehicles.

I actually went to a Carquest pad recommended by Lehman that is Sintered. It has noticeably improved my stopping power.

No more EBC Yellow for me!

i know that this doesn’t help you with your clip issue....but I thought I might warn you about pad selection.

Thanks for the reply. EBC is sending me some pads to try so I'll give them a shot. However, do you have a part number for what you used just to get me in the ball park?

Thanks for the reply. EBC is sending me some pads to try so I'll give them a shot. However, do you have a part number for what you used just to get me in the ball park?

The EBC pads for my trike (which won’t fit yours) are DP-21987 Green Stuff. They are designed for light vehicles. These are the recommended pads for my Lehman LLS which is actually a Champion IRS.

The EBC Yellow Stuff is a harder pad....not ideal!

That makes no sense. That's like telling me I have no leverage with my ratchet turning the socket tightening the bolt. The pedal IS the lever. I'd let you grasp the pedal with your hand and I'll apply the brake, then you can tell me I have no leverage.

When you push straight down on the pedal you start lifting yourself up which is how you have to do it on a wing.When you push in a forward motion like on nearly every other bike you don't have that problem since you are pushing against the seat with your ass.So can you put more pressure on the pedal.I have moved my pedal to this position already and it does exactly what I said.My stopping ability is limited to the traction of my tires now.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluffy

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluffy
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png