Replacing front lowers with chrome

bounder04

Jun 3, 2010
Mcminnville, TN
I want to replace the factory forks on my Ultra with Chrome but not sure as to the difficulty of this task. Do I just pull the lowers and replace them or do I need to remove the entire dash outter and inner to get this task done?? Has any one done this? Any advise would be appreciated...

If you have a dresser, you need to remove the inner for sure. you cannot get to the upper tree bolts without doing so. It isn't a 5 min job, take your time and you will be ok.

Regards,
Chuck

I want to replace the factory forks on my Ultra with Chrome but not sure as to the difficulty of this task. Do I just pull the lowers and replace them or do I need to remove the entire dash outter and inner to get this task done?? Has any one done this? Any advise would be appreciated...

The fork tubes need to be removed from the trees. They are then particialy taken apart and the lowers can be replaced with the chrome ones. The outer fairing has to come off. Not real hard. The inter fairing needs to either be removed or you can lift and wedge it out of the way enough to get at the upper triple tree to loosen the clamps and remove the top bolt. Get a shop manual and follow the directions. It's pretty much an all day job for the first time doing it. It is not very hard. The only special tool is used to install the fork seals. I made my own out of PVC pipe. Good luck.

The others before me are giving you the correct advise to do the job. My 2 cents is this. Don't settle with swapping your sliders with an exchange program like a dealership. A lot of places, even HD are exchanging with double plating. It does not last! You want triple plating show chrome. I think it was EPA came down on plating places. But there's still places that do triple plating. Custom cars, hot rods,... etc. just google a search.

zoood

No need to mess with removing or loosening the inner fairing. All you have to do is remove the stereo and the tachometer then you can use a fork nut socket to get at the top bolt. You can then reach in with a wooden dowel and tap each leg out if it won't drop free on its own. I've installed several sets of chrome lowers on baggers and its not that bad, just messy from the fork oil.

tgfront.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png