Tri Glide reverse

I was looking for labor also. No way I can do the swap.

I just wanted to compare the price difference between the two.

Do a Search you'll have plenty to read....I Had my 2011 Tri's out a few times every time it was corroded brushes....I road in the rain and snow , Thats why i had the problems, I cleaned the brushes the first time, Changed them the next time....Then i had a rebuilder rebid the whole motor 95 dollars....That lasted over a year....When that went out i put in a mechanical reverse...Never had a problem after that, I should have done it the first time.....With the mechanical you can back out of any spot just like a car....ThumbUp

Was the mechanical reverse difficult to install? Which one did you use?

Was the mechanical reverse difficult to install? Which one did you use?

I Had the dealer install it.....[Motor-Trike reverse]...That was on my 2011...The reverse i could have done my self .....But i didn't want to do the lock-out wiring harness myself....

My dealer has done quite a few over the years, So i let them do it....Maybe it took them 2 hours with an oil change??... About 17 hundred dollars total.......

Prior to the 2011 with the Tri's the reverse was an option and my dealer would order them without the reverse , And then add a mechanical...And it wasn't much more then the electric cost wise to the customer...Then Harley made the electric mandatory :Shrug:....

Bob, That is what they told you ! FAKE NEWS !!!:mad:

I went on a spy mission at the Lehman Factory in August of 2008. It really wasn't a spy mission when it started but ended with a lot of info on the TriGlides. I was also told that the dealers would announce the reverse as an option but all of the 2009 & 2010 TriGlides had reverse gears when they left the Factory.

Every rear axle assembly they had on the floor, out of the box, had the reverse gear on it and they weren't removing them during assembly.

I do believe that the 2011 TriGlides being built by Harley exclusively may have held those reverse gears as an option either factory or dealer. The reverse gear harness was exclusive to the TriGlides and all of them had them originally.

Reactions: MDO
How do you go about installing a mechanical reverse on a 2013 Harley Tri-Glide?

Steven the instructions are pretty good. The Motor Trike and Champion both are very similar. At one time AIM also sold a similar one. Basically you remove the trans cover on the right side. Drill tap and attach gears onto the ends of the two shafts. Install the shift gear plate and put it all back together. Anyone with some mechanical skills can handle the job.

I've done 2 and they worked out fine. The hardest part is drilling one of the shafts but if you take your time and follow the directions it's not a big deal. You will glad you did.

The only consideration is if you have an after market exhaust you might have to make it conform to the mod. The added shift plate puts the trans cover out about 1/2 inch more.

Again a moderate skill install. Good luck

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png