Sidecar Road trip

Smitty901

400+ Posts
Reaction score
Payton is 11 years old now. As some of you know Payton can not walk and uses a wheel chair With 11,000 miles of sidecar riding you could say she is experienced. We may make a few mods to her Wheelchair for this trip. With her Dad in Afghanistan our plans for a trip to the Ark Encounter were put on hold. We decided to go anyway. Just Payton and her grandfather.

If we loaded up in the van it would be just a trip. We talked about it and she wants to go in the sidecar. The trip will be 1,200 miles round trip. Latter today her and I will sit down and pick the day we are leaving , where we want to stay and the route. Payton has made it clear any motels must have a pool. You have to relax after a long days ride you know.

Payton is a detailed orientated child . She plans well so After I give her information she needs , she will do most of the planning. I know of a few great motels and will let her pick. One thing I do not want on the trip is bad surprises at a motel . This trip is going to be an Adventure for both of us.

check back pictures will be posted and details of the trip.

Payton is 11 years old now. As some of you know Payton can not walk and uses a wheel chair With 11,000 miles of sidecar riding you could say she is experienced. We may make a few mods to her Wheelchair for this trip. With her Dad in Afghanistan our plans for a trip to the Ark Encounter were put on hold. We decided to go anyway. Just Payton and her grandfather.

If we loaded up in the van it would be just a trip. We talked about it and she wants to go in the sidecar. The trip will be 1,200 miles round trip. Latter today her and I will sit down and pick the day we are leaving , where we want to stay and the route. Payton has made it clear any motels must have a pool. You have to relax after a long days ride you know.

Payton is a detailed orientated child . She plans well so After I give her information she needs , she will do most of the planning. I know of a few great motels and will let her pick. One thing I do not want on the trip is bad surprises at a motel . This trip is going to be an Adventure for both of us.

check back pictures will be posted and details of the trip.

ThumbUpThumbUp.........Can't wait to see the posts of Payton's great Adventure.....:clapping:..

Robert! This is going to be so COOL for both of you. Be SURE to give us a ride report and post pics if you can!

If you think motorcycle parts and work is a racket, wait till you deal with wheel chairs. It is a 100% scam market controlled by a few.

Payton's everyday chair unpowered is an $8,000 chair. It works for her needs but to use it with the sidecar would mean an hour to take apart and put back together.

Some time back we located a used hospital type chair. Took a set of foot rests from a different chair. Some time with a hammer, drill, saws-all and grinder we made it so we could fit it in the sidecar.

Foot rest come off wheels come off and chair folds and stored behind the seat. The wheels go in sidecar trunk. Not much to look at but it works. We used a stroller until she out grew that.

The chair we customized is making the trip.

The sidecar has a canopy top, we are taking it along. She stays dry in the rain. Unlike yesterday when we did not take it and found a big rain storm. I hope with this thread to encourage others with family members restricted to chairs to, think outside the box . There are many ways to expand the activities they can enjoy.

The modified chair assemble and disassembled.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gQFafW]

Payton and her grandfather are going to have a blast. The two of you are blessed to have each other.

Thank you. She is the reason I retired. 3 years now and we have had a great time. This is her in her second sidecar rig. By the time this was taken she had a lot of miles in a sidecar in all kinds of weather. We did get stuck that day riding off road a bit . She though it was funny.

Good on you. I hope you guys have a great and safe trip. I'll be following your adventures

Pulling out early tomorrow. Bike is packed Her Wheel chair tucked in behind the seat. She will be wearing her new helmet. She did get her packing list down to one HD bag.

That's an amazing accomplishment for a young lady. :clapping:

Wore out last night from the 500 miles here and swimming she slept good. Up this morning and rode to the ARK in Williamstown KY. She had a great time. Stayed all day and stopped at Florence HD dealer on the way back to the motel. She went swimming, we had dinner now getting ready for bed.

To many pictures to post them all. this is a link to some of them.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmFQrikn

Tomorrow is a big day about 550 miles to a town near home for a parade she wants to see at night then back home to end this trip.

We are home.

This is how it went.

Day one left out at 0430. Stopped to eat at WI/IL state line. Met Bleachy in Indy for lunch about 1230. Checked in motel in Harrison OH at 1530. Went swimming. Then to dinner . She slept real good.

Day two. Left motel about 0730 after breakfast. Rode to the Ark at Williamstown KY. Spent most of the day there she enjoyed it. Stopped at Thoroughbred Harley in Florence Ky on the way back to motel. She got a shirt ,3 poker chips and a dealer patch.

Back at motel swimming for about two hours , then BBQ for dinner. Pasted out tired.

Day three . Left motel at about 0530 rode two hours stopped to eat. Stopped at Uke's Harley in Kenosha WI . She got two big shirts to sleep in. Finished the ride home arrived at 1215. She did great on the ride, we had no problems.

Total miles 1,100. She is now just over 12,000 miles in a sidecar.

I am sure we will met Bleachy again.

Link to pictures. Easier this way.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmFQrikn

When underway does she use a seat belt/shoulder strap of any kind?

yes ,we have a seat belt and a harness like one used in her wheel chair. The harness is not always used. Two pillows or 1 pillow and a rolled blanket provide support to help her sit up.

What system she wants is not always the same. I have considered removing the 34 inch seat and putting a fitted custom seat in with a racing type harness. But she likes her seat.

Sidecar is consider a motorcycle so no seat belt law applies.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png