Tire Rub Problem

Reaction score
I've noticed a recent development. The left tire is rubbing the inside lip of my left fender.

Most likely happening when hitting rough road and body comes down on tire.

Right side has 1/2" horizontal clearance to tire. Obviously, left side doesn't.

I've got a 2 week trip coming up and trike will be loaded with wife & trailer.
lurking%20smilie.gif

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to address this problem?

tire rub.jpg

I've noticed a recent development. The left tire is rubbing the inside lip of my left fender.

Most likely happening when hitting rough road and body comes down on tire.

Right side has 1/2" horizontal clearance to tire. Obviously, left side doesn't.

I've got a 2 week trip coming up and trike will be loaded with wife & trailer.
lurking%20smilie.gif

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to address this problem?

View attachment 74844

Some Questions:

1) What kind of suspension do you have, shocks, springs, air bags, hydraulic?

2) Does the trike sit lower than it used to? Is it levels now, right compared to left?

3) Did you put wider or taller tires on recently?

If #2 & #3 are no, almost has to be the suspension. Weak springs, Loss of air, hydraulic leak. If #2 is yes, look at #1. If #3 is yes ... you need to switch back.

Reactions: MDO
Some Questions:

1) What kind of suspension do you have, shocks, springs, air bags, hydraulic?

2) Does the trike sit lower than it used to? Is it levels now, right compared to left?

3) Did you put wider or taller tires on recently?

If #2 & #3 are no, almost has to be the suspension. Weak springs, Loss of air, hydraulic leak. If #2 is yes, look at #1. If #3 is yes ... you need to switch back.

Thanks for the response,

1) Suspension is I.A.S shocks with a standard progressive spring.

2) I don't notice it sitting lower.... Just measured and it's possibly 1/4" lower, but I wouldn't think that is a problem.

3) Tires have been on for 2 years.

I'm going to pull the wheel off to get a closer look at the shocks.

Thanks for the response,

1) Suspension is I.A.S shocks with a standard progressive spring.

2) I don't notice it sitting lower.... Just measured and it's possibly 1/4" lower, but I wouldn't think that is a problem.

3) Tires have been on for 2 years.

I'm going to pull the wheel off to get a closer look at the shocks.

For some reason, I remember progressive springs having a finite life span ... not bashing them ... but I remember something about them starting to fail and getting shorter ... this may be in front forks ... from what you've told us, I think you are on the right path ... check the spring and the shocks ... compare one side to the other. If height hasn't changed, it almost has to be a shock or spring failure (probably left shock) that only rears it's ugly head when you hit a larger bump. Visual inspection may not reveal much ... you may have to remove both shocks to "feel" the difference. Since it's just the left tire that rubs ... my thought is the left shock has lost air or fluid causing it to not rebound quick enough. If they are coil over shocks, the coil could be bad or if there is a preload adjustment that could have come "un done".

New questions ... is the trike level looking at it from the rear? And just to eliminate the obvious (not being a smarta$$ here) you haven't pulled a tongue heavy trailer or seriously overloaded the trike lately have you?

My guess just from what you've reported, is that the left shock has failed.

PS. Forgot to mention ... Love your avatar ... soooo cute.

"New questions ... is the trike level looking at it from the rear? And just to eliminate the obvious (not being a smarta$$ here) you haven't pulled a tongue heavy trailer or seriously overloaded the trike lately have you?"

Trike looks level from rear. I haven't pulled a heavy trailer "yet", but have a 2 week trip coming up with a new Escapade trailer which is heavier than the aluminum trailer I had pulled before.... Plus it has greater capacity, so I'm nervous that my wife will equate that to "I can take more stuff".
(Sweating)

I've got to look into what it takes to replace shocks. Hopefully, it's not too difficult. Perhaps I can beef up the springs?

At this point, I'm willing to replace both sides just to be certain that isn't the problem.

At this point, I'm willing to replace both sides just to be certain that isn't the problem.

I think you'd be wise ... if it's shocks ... to replace them in pairs ... Save yourself the grief of doing the job twice.

Not familiar with your trike, but, I'm guessing swapping shocks can't be that though .. mostly getting to them ... usually shocks have a bolt in the top and the bottom.

Might be a bit costly to repair but peace of mind is so good when traveling . I would rather pay for peace of mind then taking a chance on the road. Scenario - tire blow leading to crash, bike and trailer totaled, a year in hospital recovering from injuries, get the picture ? Get it fixed.

I didn't notice anyone else mentioning calling the manufacturer to see if they've heard of this problem before?

I built a set if ramps so I can drive out Triglide up on them to get a better look. Would that help with shock access?

PC

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png