reverse

david lee

Jan 22, 2018
australia
why is it that i cannot find a reverse to fit my trike with the first 5 sp transmission thanks

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_6729.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6729.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 203
i did hear something about the early 5 sp had a tapered main shaft not splined which is the problem. im after more info if thats why .thanks

why is it that i cannot find a reverse to fit my trike with the first 5 sp transmission thanks

Just off the top of the head, the clutch release cover has a different bolt pattern on the pre-86 model 5 speeds.

You could update yours to the later model cover, push rod, ball & ramp and trap door.

Like above, there is not a large calling for the pre-86 models for reverse gear.

Use this link for seeing what will work.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?make=hdmc

thank you pic of my old cover before converted to hydraulic

Attachments

• thumbnail_image2.jpg
    thumbnail_image2.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 165
  • thumbnail_image4.jpg
    thumbnail_image4.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 178
thanks. what header pipe are you refering to,front or rear.there is a gap of one and half inches from the rear one to the oil tank.do you know if champion and mmd are the same internal set up.my hd mech has just fitted a mmd to a harley and recommended that one but i think he forgot mines the early 5 speed.mmd said there transmission cover and trapdoor are different to mine the first pic is mmd. the 2nd is champion.i appreciate your input

Attachments

• ZDCE0380.PNG
    ZDCE0380.PNG
    229.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 1-c8b08b8f36 (1).jpg
    1-c8b08b8f36 (1).jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 168
I looked at the install instructions and found that kit to be easier to install than the Champion 5-speed reverse gear.

I did notice 2 things:

The front header pipe will need to be moved if it comes too close to the hydraulic slave banjo fitting.

I am also not sure that the hydraulic slave cover offers enough clearance for the tension spring on the Zodiac.

Better ask the mechanic who will be doing the work.:Shrug:

https://beeldbank.prepublisher.com/pictures/PDF/ZDC/2/ZDCX0652.pdf

I looked at the install instructions and found that kit to be easier to install than the Champion 5-speed reverse gear.

I did notice 2 things:

The front header pipe will need to be moved if it comes too close to the hydraulic slave banjo fitting.

I am also not sure that the hydraulic slave cover offers enough clearance for the tension spring on the Zodiac.

Better ask the mechanic who will be doing the work.:Shrug:

https://beeldbank.prepublisher.com/pictures/PDF/ZDC/2/ZDCX0652.pdf
thank you mmd said the bolt on patten is different but it looks like my mech might have put on an adaptor plate to fit the hydro clutch but not sure.but the patten looks the same to me.my other concern is mine would have a tappered main shaft instead of a splined. do you think that would make any difference.i can not find the mmd instructions on the internet. thank you

Attachments

• thumbnail_image5.jpg
    thumbnail_image5.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 152
thanks youve been a great help.that was my main concern.sorry for the questions but in your opinion do you think i will still be able to run my hydro clutch thank you

thanks youve been a great help.that was my main concern.sorry for the questions but in your opinion do you think i will still be able to run my hydro clutch thank you

With the proper length pushrod, you should have no problems.

You might have to make your own pushrod.:Shrug:

youve been a terrific help lee h mann a mate said i might have to extend the clutch pushrod but the kit comes with one

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png