Stallion Front Caliper rebuild 101

Gorilla

Senior Moderator
Oct 18, 2008
Key Largo. Fl,. USA
Hello to all. Well my wife's front calipers need rebuilding. Noisy and they were dragging to the point it was hard to spin the tire while jacked up.

Removing the calipers is straight forward. You remove the front hemi joint that holds the caliper mounting plate from rotating. Remove the brake line from caliper. Then remove the 2 caliper mounting bolts. The caliper will swing down to the bottom and is easily removed leaving the pads in place. You might have to pry the pucks in a little to get it loose.

Take the calipers to your work area. You will need compressed air to blow the pucks out of the caliper housings. Mine were really stuck but they finally came out.

I took the parts to my buddy at NAPA and he advised that hardly anyone sold the parts for calipers any more just the rebuild kits. Now without knowing an application for the calipers you are kind of out of luck. The calipers I hear from TBMS were custom built.

So now the research started. There are 2 O-rings for each piston. The inner is to keep the fluid in and the outer to keep dirt out.

So I took my trusty micrometer and measured the piston diameter and the o-rings cross section.

The inner seal is a square o ring with a cross section of 1/8 and an inner diameter of 1 1/8. This is o-ring size 216. The outer is a regular o-ring 1/16 cross section and same inner diameter of 1 1/8. This is o-ring size 024.

So went on line to see about finding replacements. First thing I discovered is there are a lot of different rubbers used to make O-Rings. There is ONLY ONE recommended rubber for brake fluid (EPDM).

Next issue was they have phased out square o-rings. There are replaced with what they call Quad or X o-rings. Could not find any in the rubber (EPDM) and size needed.

After many more hours of research I found that a regular O ring of the right material (EPDM) should work. The only reason they use the Square o-ring is to help with the piston pull back when the brake pedal is released.

So I ordered the EPDM rings on line and re-built the calipers and they work great. By the way I had to order 4 sets of o-rings to meet a minimum order. So if anyone wants a set of o-rings you need 4 of each size I will sell you a set for $3.00 plus shipping priority mail envelope I think that's like 5 or 6 dollars not sure that's about what I paid for them. I am a moderator so you can "PM" me.

Good job

i rebuilt my calipers 3 years ago, got the kit from tbms. don't know if they still offer a kit.

Dragon

Great info. Thanks. I only have 45000 on mine, but I have done a bunch of mods and put new stuff on it. Anything you suggest that I need to do with this amount of mileage would be appreciated. Rick

I thought that the front brakes were from a Toyota FJ as that is the brake pads I have bought to replace mine? I'd call Richard at TMS and ask him to verify and if I was correct you can get those parts at about any parts store. Tomg

I thought that the front brakes were from a Toyota FJ as that is the brake pads I have bought to replace mine? I'd call Richard at TMS and ask him to verify and if I was correct you can get those parts at about any parts store. Tomg

tom yes they use that pad but the calipers are not fj cruiser. right off that caliper uses one piston and the stallion has 2 pistons

Hi Ted

do you still have extra o rings for calipers if not would you mind telling where you ordered them

Thanks

Dragon

Hi Earl, :welcome: to Trike Talk and your first post

If you disassemble the calipers a good parts guy can match the o ring seals up for you

I would try a Napa or Car Quest jobber first

welcome i got my set at grainger size 216 comes 5 to a package and the other size 024 comes 50 to a package material was viton. i could not find the square seal at napa or around here. don't know price was not expensive.

good luck

Dragon

welcome i got my set at grainger size 216 comes 5 to a package and the other size 024 comes 50 to a package material was viton. i could not find the square seal at napa or around here. don't know price was not expensive.

good luck

Dragon

The square seal was not found by me either back in "19" but I used a round one of the same size and it worked well.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png