High Flow Air Cleaner...question(s)

Kmark

Aug 1, 2019
Salem
I'm relatively new to the site, and I am sure that somewhere on here this subject has probably been covered, perhaps to death...but here goes. I have a new 2019 Tri Glide. I want to install a less restrictive air intake/cleaner. I'm not talking about a blower here, just move some more air. I had a 2014 Indian Chief with a high flow cleaner on it and never remapped anything or added a tuner, etc...ran wonderfully for over 30k miles. So I go onto the Harley Web $ite and of course they are saying I need a tuner if I change the intake/cleaner.

Of course the tuner is sold separately from the appropriate cables...an additional $400.00 or so for the separate items. I can't seem to get a straight answer on whether or not making an intake change without remapping will have any impact on the warranty. I personally can't believe that the new M8 motor can't compensate for some added air. I mean I know I get more oxygen at sea level than I do in Denver and the bike can compensate...correct? The 114 is already more power than I will probably ever use, but who doesn't like more power and a louder intake wonk when you hit the throttle. Going to leave the stock exhaust...I'm over really loud bikes years ago. Thoughts, suggestions, kick me in my pants???

If you go with OEM upgrades and with a tuner you should be alright with your warranty.Go aftermarket and you may have problems.Of course, if you want to mod out your trike and not worry about the warranty,go ahead.

Old rule of thumb with Harley's ... Before the engine ... remap, after the engine, not needed.

Remember the Harley's are very lean from the factory. This is done due to EPA regs and because of this, if you add more air into the engine, you will lean it further.

Leaning it further will do lots of things not the least of which is generate higher temps in the engine that will cause you and the engine to be more uncomfortable. My suggestion if you are not prepared to richen the mixture, don't increase air flow.

Old rule of thumb with Harley's ... Before the engine ... remap, after the engine, not needed.

Remember the Harley's are very lean from the factory. This is done due to EPA regs and because of this, if you add more air into the engine, you will lean it further.

Leaning it further will do lots of things not the least of which is generate higher temps in the engine that will cause you and the engine to be more uncomfortable. My suggestion if you are not prepared to richen the mixture, don't increase air flow.

This is NO longer true with the M8 engines

They run more on the rich side from the factory than Twin Cams did

You can read Kevin's tests here http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/milwaukee-eight-dyno-charts-other-interesting-info-dk-m8-rpt.htm

The M8 engine will take to the air cleaner change with out any problems or re mapping.

Mark, have a look @ this filter from J&P

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/130-2866/twin-power-air-filter

It is bigger in surface area than stock, almost an exact match to the popular K& N or Screaming Eagle filter BUT cheaper. I know a few running these filters and are happy with them. They fit the stock air box also

Thanks Jack, liking the look of this, not sure I will do it or not but I like the fact it is cheaper than the 2 you mentioned. I see it is washable but does not say anything else about it, do they have a spray like the K & N or just wash it and let it dry, maybe you know, guess I could call jpcycles and find out, LOL

All for now Trampas

Mark, have a look @ this filter from J&P

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/130-2866/twin-power-air-filter

It is bigger in surface area than stock, almost an exact match to the popular K& N or Screaming Eagle filter BUT cheaper. I know a few running these filters and are happy with them. They fit the stock air box also

That's the kind of info I am looking for! I read Kevin's comments you noted in your first reply...cool stuff there. I actually like the look of the stock air box, so this might just do the trick. Yeah, the price is nearly $30.00 cheaper than the K&N available from Harley. Note: I just checked with the service dept. at my local Harley dealership and was told by the service manager that this filter would not impact my warrantee. The air box and filter I was thinking about getting is nearly $400.00. Add the remap tuner, cables, etc. and that was approaching $800.00. This is a much more attractive alternative. So happy day.

Thank you Jack.

That's the kind of info I am looking for! I read Kevin's comments you noted in your first reply...cool stuff there. I actually like the look of the stock air box, so this might just do the trick. Yeah, the price is nearly $30.00 cheaper than the K&N available from Harley. Note: I just checked with the service dept. at my local Harley dealership and was told by the service manager that this filter would not impact my warrantee. The air box and filter I was thinking about getting is nearly $400.00. Add the remap tuner, cables, etc. and that was approaching $800.00. This is a much more attractive alternative. So happy day.

Thank you Jack.

Good deal, the testing Kevin did was on my 17 M8 Freewheeler

The M8 has a ton of potential

I ran the filter I listed for a while, keep in mind this filter comes pre oiled and follows the same service as a K& N, but cheaper;)

Best of luck and more miles of smiles

I have a K&N in the stock box & love it, but the 1 Jack references to is the same .

After washing & drying, I use the spray can K&N oil & like it, as it's much easier than the bottle you try to squirt on each pleat. That's a pain.

Simple M8 upgrades are the air filter, external breather system & the Thundervolt 50 spark plug wires by Taylor that DK Customs sells. It's like a different machine.

Thanks!

I have a K&N in the stock box & love it, but the 1 Jack references to is the same .

After washing & drying, I use the spray can K&N oil & like it, as it's much easier than the bottle you try to squirt on each pleat. That's a pain.

Simple M8 upgrades are the air filter, external breather system & the Thundervolt 50 spark plug wires by Taylor that DK Customs sells. It's like a different machine.

Thanks for the input. I ordered that filter today. I have a can of the K&N oil from my last ride and I agree, way better than the bottled stuff. I have a feeling I will be spending a fair amount of money with DK over the next couple of months. I've only had this bike for about a month and have already spent more on chrome and dingerdooders than I ever spent on any of my other bikes. Most of it has been on arm rests, cup holders, luggage rack (the cool lighted one from Harley), new mirrors, floorboards (rider and passenger), recurve windshield, and a couple of hundred bucks worth of other stuff I can't remember. I also had a buddy of mine pinstripe the damned thing. Now all I have to do it put on some miles...lol. It's like I have this 1,200 pound blank canvas in my garage screaming for attention.

Thanks again to everyone on this site for the great feedback. I am used to sites where all there is is bitching, back biting and making people feel ignorant for their questions. This is a wonderful change. Thanks guys and ladies.

You will like that K&N high flow filter that goes in the stock air box from J&P. I have had mine on for a couple weeks and it certainly made a difference.

I had added slip ons so the bike wasn't running "perfect". After some advise on here and also looking at all of Kevin's information I decided to just add more air. Didn't want to get rid of the OEM air box and didn't want to give Harley what they wanted to charge.

Thanks Jack, liking the look of this, not sure I will do it or not but I like the fact it is cheaper than the 2 you mentioned. I see it is washable but does not say anything else about it, do they have a spray like the K & N or just wash it and let it dry, maybe you know, guess I could call jpcycles and find out, LOL

All for now Trampas

Yes James, you service this filter the same as a K&N;)

I went with a little different route for my '17 TG. I got the Outlaw 606 AC from Kevin, with the naked option, using the stock HD AC cover. It includes the external breather kit. Wow, it REALLY woke up the stock M8, without adding slipons. I already had a PowerVision tuner, and Kevin sent me an updated map. This is me smiling:D! Now I just need to see what the dealer says about warranty. (Wondering) I have been told that AC change on an M8 is OK.

I went with a little different route for my '17 TG. I got the Outlaw 606 AC from Kevin, with the naked option, using the stock HD AC cover. It includes the external breather kit. Wow, it REALLY woke up the stock M8, without adding slipons. I already had a PowerVision tuner, and Kevin sent me an updated map. This is me smiling:D! Now I just need to see what the dealer says about warranty. (Wondering) I have been told that AC change on an M8 is OK.

If you have a good relationship with your dealer have the conversation with him first. It really comes down to if they have to hook up your bike with the digital tech scanner it will automatically send your info to the MOCO, your dealer cannot over ride this, they will find your PV tune on your ECM

Well, I plan on hanging on to this bike for a while... I will have the discussion with the Service Manager at Miracle City HD, and I guess I will look at getting the replacement filter posted here by others and put back the factory tune with the PV. I will probably leave the external breather kit installed, since I saw the improvement it made on my '14 TG as well. Once my ESP is done, I can go back to the Outlaw AC that I bought from Kevin.

Well, I plan on hanging on to this bike for a while... I will have the discussion with the Service Manager at Miracle City HD, and I guess I will look at getting the replacement filter posted here by others and put back the factory tune with the PV. I will probably leave the external breather kit installed, since I saw the improvement it made on my '14 TG as well. Once my ESP is done, I can go back to the Outlaw AC that I bought from Kevin.

Hope your dealer is more forgiving than mine, they hook everybike up to digital tech to see if anything has been done with the tune, it will show even if you take yours back to the factory stock tune from what I have been told, maybe somebody with more experience will post about this but from what I have heard and from dealer it will show if any tuner has been hooked up regardless if back to stock tune, they told me the EPA is really watching harley closely and harley does not want another big fine and I can understand.

All for now Trampas

I have K&N filters on all of my bikes/ trike.That oil that K&N sells seems suspiciously like Marvel Mystery Oil to me.In fact I've used MMO in lieu of K&N for years with no problem.

Marvel Mystery oil has many uses;)

I remember when Snap On air tool oil looked and smelled like MMoil

If you have a good relationship with your dealer have the conversation with him first. It really comes down to if they have to hook up your bike with the digital tech scanner it will automatically send your info to the MOCO, your dealer cannot over ride this, they will find your PV tune on your ECM

Well, today I did have a long talk with Bob, the NEW Service Manager at Miracle City HD. Talked about my history with them and with Space Coast HD, their parent dealer where I bought the '17 TG trading in my '14 on it, and that I had all warranty work on both done there, and bought the prepaid maintenance plan on the '17 for 20K miles, and renewed it for another 20K. I also told him about my PV, how much success I had with it (SCHD also used the PV, among other tuners) and my concerns with the HD policy on tuners starting with the '17 MY. He siad that yes, if they had to hook up the digital tech, it would find the PV, and flag the warranty, and there was nothing he could do about it. :Shrug: He also said that he understood my position, and that whenever I brought my bike in for service, to remind him, and he would not connect digital tech, so that I would have no issues with the warranty. He appears to be a man of his word, so I am taking that for what it's worth. We will see.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png