Brake rotor replacement

I am running a 2008 Goldwing with a 2008 Motor Trike Spyder trike conversion kit. I took the trike to an authorized Honda/Motor Trike dealer for a brake job on the rear. When I purchased the trike, I was told the the rearend is Ford, however, per a document I located on the Motor Trike website, it says the 5-lug rotors are proprietary to Motor Trike and this must be obtained directly from them. Has anyone else run into this or is there a compatiable part found in most local parts stores?

thanks

Most trike rotors are not off-the-shelf auto parts.

If MotorTrike has them, problem solved.ThumbUp

I deal with Lehman Parts and since brake rotors were prioritized also, and Lehman does not support parts older than 3 years now, I am left with buying auto rotors and modifying them to specs.

Very expensive at the machine shop.

Thank you for the information. I was notified this morning that the new rotors have been received by the service department. Then I was told that one of the calipers has locked up and they couldn’t free the piston. So back to Motor Trike for new calipers. Hopefully, they have these as well.

Just seeing this so late to the game.

There are not "off the shelf" 5 lug rotors for the solid axle rear end setup for Motor Trike kits. As I understand it, the solid axle configuration in the Ford world is 4 lug wheels/rotors, etc.. Motor Trike used to buy 4 lug rotors & have drilled to accept 4 or 5 lug until the manufacturer of the rotors started offering to make them in a 5 lug pattern specifically for Motor Trike.

That's why you can't buy an off the shelf 5 lug rotor for a solid axle MT kit.

If you can find rotors of the correct thickness and offset between rotor swept area & mount area, correct diameter, (in other words, if same in all respects except number of lug bolts) they could be re-drilled and even if a few thousandths out, the pads would sweep a perfect circle in relation to mounting in use. You couldn't do it with drums though.

Most trike rotors are not off-the-shelf auto parts.

If MotorTrike has them, problem solved.ThumbUp

I deal with Lehman Parts and since brake rotors were prioritized also, and Lehman does not support parts older than 3 years now, I am left with buying auto rotors and modifying them to specs.

Very expensive at the machine shop.

Lee,

Are you still sourcing rear brake rotors for a 2011 Monarch II?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png