electrical

Dragon

250+ Posts
Dec 28, 2010
oly,wa
Goodmorning

i have an electric germlin, my instrument lights flash, esecpially the mileage readout, tach lights, volt and psi guages. my cruise control works sometimes(Bug). I thought it was ground:Shrug:. any suggestions

Thanks

Dragon

Check your battery voltage first

Next check the voltage with engine running, you could possibly have a bad regulator

All electrical problems start @ the battery

A simple load test of a fully charged battery ( 12.7 volts) Turn on headlights engine not running with a voltmeter on the battery

If after 5 seconds your voltage drops below 10 volts you have a bad battery

Good luck;)

About the only thing all of those items have in common is the smart junction box (fuse box under the seat). If it's been exposed to moisture it may have corrosion inside causing random issues. The "easiest" way to check is to unplug the connectors & look down inside the panel (light may help) to see if there are signs of corrosion present.

If it is corrosion I don't know if you'll be able to effectively "clean" it & restore normal function & may have to source a replacement from a Ford vehicle (far cheaper than getting a new one from Ford).

There has been a member who actually had standing water in the bottom of the fuse box under the seat. After disconnecting as mentioned above, the bottom was cleaned up , dried completely and put back together. As far as I know, he hasn't had any further problems. He did make a cover as his Stallion did not have one, out of a heavy plastic maybe a heavy duty leaf bag. Tomg

Alan hates electricity ... but ... intermittent problems are generally a ground that has corrosion or loose ... or ... water in a connection.

Both have been mentioned, so I'm just confirming.

Alan hates electricity ... but ... intermittent problems are generally a ground that has corrosion or loose ... or ... water in a connection.

Both have been mentioned, so I'm just confirming.

You might be surprised how loose and corroded battery connections cause more problems, especially on modern day ECM controlled vehicles

When ever I am hunting an electrical problem I ALWAYS start @ the battery. JMO

thought I would give an update on my problem. I started at battery took it out had it tested(is only 6 months old), put it back in check charging and alternator. all ok, I went to the fuse box pulled all fuses and connectors put more die-electric grease on all again. (cleaned this up couple years ago and added die electric to everything). well I went to Yellowstone and back 1700 miles, cruise control worked for about 600 miles and quit.:( I got about 200 miles from home it started raining, cruise control started working, volt meter and psi meter started working, been working 3 weeks now :xzqxz:(Bug) are laughing at me.

Dragon

thought I would give an update on my problem. I started at battery took it out had it tested(is only 6 months old), put it back in check charging and alternator. all ok, I went to the fuse box pulled all fuses and connectors put more die-electric grease on all again. (cleaned this up couple years ago and added die electric to everything). well I went to Yellowstone and back 1700 miles, cruise control worked for about 600 miles and quit.:( I got about 200 miles from home it started raining, cruise control started working, volt meter and psi meter started working, been working 3 weeks now :xzqxz:(Bug) are laughing at me.

Dragon

We would never do that :gah: Rick

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searcher

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searcher
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png